The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chez231
Hey guys ! I've just finished my first year of Biomedicine hoping to apply at the start of my third year.
The main unis I am hoping 🙏🏽 to apply to are Kings, Warwick and Newcastle - still thinking of a fourth 🤔
Gonna take the UKCAT this September and treat it as though it is the real thing so that I know where roughly I'm heading!
Work experience isn't the best for me atm, my bros a dentist so I'm gonna shadow fellow dentists , I've just emailed like 15 surgeons and GP managers to see if I can volunteer 😭

Good to see so many of you ☺️ encouraging !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
I am also going to take the UKCAT this september as a trial. Have you started your revision?
Original post by Optimistsan98
Hey,
I am also going to take the UKCAT this september as a trial. Have you started your revision?

Awesome ! Yea I've only just started, salty my first degree ended quite late

But I've booked mine quite late so I have about two months prep time, which I've been told is wayyyyy to much.

What about you? You started ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sadly the First year of my degree ended quite late **

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
Awesome ! Yea I've only just started, salty my first degree ended quite late

But I've booked mine quite late so I have about two months prep time, which I've been told is wayyyyy to much.

What about you? You started ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started yet too. Dw. I think I am gonna start end of this month.
I haven't started yet too. Dw. I think I am gonna start end of this month.

Cool ! How do you plan to revise may I ask ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
Cool ! How do you plan to revise may I ask ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am going to use the ISC book and get medify or kaplan.
I am going to use the ISC book and get medify or kaplan.

Me too ! I have a friend at Durham who sent me her ISC 600Q book and she recommended Medify, so I'm gonna use them two to see if I can get 700+ average 🙏🏽 god willing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All!

I too will be applying for 2019. I will be taking the GAMSAT in March 2018. I'm currently working full time and studying ALevel sciences from scratch in my own time. I did the exam and got a 53 overall two years ago :frown:. But, my mock exam results are much better than last time and I am enjoying and understanding the sciences better than the last time, too. I will be applying to St.Georges, Notts, and Swansea. After I complete the GAMSAT, I will start preparing for the UKCAT so I can apply for Warwick.

I completed a Sociology BSc. I'll start my Masters in September 2018. I am currently completing my application for Public Health MSc which I am certain I will get into.

I currently work full-time in medical research (two yrs so far, and 5 years in the NHS :-D) and I currently waiting to join SJA.
(edited 6 years ago)
What are your GCSE's and Alevels like ? (If you don't mind me asking )
Original post by Chez231
Hey guys ! I've just finished my first year of Biomedicine hoping to apply at the start of my third year.
The main unis I am hoping 🙏🏽 to apply to are Kings, Warwick and Newcastle - still thinking of a fourth 🤔
Gonna take the UKCAT this September and treat it as though it is the real thing so that I know where roughly I'm heading!
Work experience isn't the best for me atm, my bros a dentist so I'm gonna shadow fellow dentists , I've just emailed like 15 surgeons and GP managers to see if I can volunteer 😭

Good to see so many of you ☺️ encouraging !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justinamarina
What are your GCSE's and Alevels like ? (If you don't mind me asking )

No it's cool! I got 1A*4A's 3B's 2C's , my A levels were not the best ABC , I also dropped A2 Chemistry. So only have Biology. Hence why I'm applying to the unis that don't particularly look at A levels etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I will be applying to GEM in 2019. I have just finished my first year of biomedical science at Surrey and received a 1st. I plan to keep an average of 70% for years 2 and 3.
My A level results were - A*AAB (psychology, geography, chemistry and biology respectively.)
GCSE's - 8 A*'s-A's, 3 B's
I plan to look for work experience throughout my third year at university in a care home, hospitals, GP practices.
I'm part of the universities medical society.

Good luck all! Look forward to getting to know you all over the next couple of years as we progress to med school! (Hopefully)

Edit - I have already been through the medicine applicant experience and received three interviews- which I later rejected as I didn't feel ready to study medicine. However, I have always known I want to be a doctor. In my UKCAT when I applied to med school the first time I received an average of 705, so I'm pretty competent with the UKCAT... I just need to get used to the GAMSAT/BMAT
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
I am so glad to have found this thread. I am in the same situation where I'm doing English and I've just completed my first year with a 2:1 but I want to study medicine. The reason as to why I didn't apply to medicine from the start, despite having a level chem and bio is because I didn't do so well in biology. Do you think even if I apply to med school for 2019 entry, they will still look at my A level biology grade as it is a science a level?
Original post by athea98
I am so glad to have found this thread. I am in the same situation where I'm doing English and I've just completed my first year with a 2:1 but I want to study medicine. The reason as to why I didn't apply to medicine from the start, despite having a level chem and bio is because I didn't do so well in biology. Do you think even if I apply to med school for 2019 entry, they will still look at my A level biology grade as it is a science a level?

Hey ! I'm in a similar situ , my A levels aren't great and I only have one science to A2 , but I've just completed my first year of Biomedicine. I've been told by people on this thread that there are grad unis that don't look at A levels as such , like Warwick and Newcastle- two of which I will definitely be applying to !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I'm so glad I found this thread I hope it's still active! I recently decided to pursue medicine again. I applied for 2015 entry before but was rejected by all. I am currently in my second year of Mpharm and want to apply for GEM next year(2018) but I would like to defer my entry until 2020 because I want to complete my pre-reg training in the meantime. I don't remember much about ucas but do you select defer when you apply or after you get an offer?

Also I really need to start preparing for GAMSAT focusing more on section I and II. I don't really know how to start ! Would appreciate some advice from anyone :smile:
Original post by Maziiemaz
Hey,

I'm so glad I found this thread I hope it's still active! I recently decided to pursue medicine again. I applied for 2015 entry before but was rejected by all. I am currently in my second year of Mpharm and want to apply for GEM next year(2018) but I would like to defer my entry until 2020 because I want to complete my pre-reg training in the meantime. I don't remember much about ucas but do you select defer when you apply or after you get an offer?

Also I really need to start preparing for GAMSAT focusing more on section I and II. I don't really know how to start ! Would appreciate some advice from anyone :smile:

I think you'll have to check individual universities because some don't allow you to defer for GEM.
Original post by Maziiemaz
Hey,

I asked about deferring when I applied in the cycle that's just gone. Most advised they don't really do deferred, but policies can change year to year, so best to give each school a call and ask them directly.

Section 1 - read 20th century literature, get clued up on interpreting poems (20th cent and earlier), abstract and logical reasoning practice, build your vocabulary.

Section 2 - Watch TED talks, read Meaning of Things, practice 30 min timed essays inspired by quotes around particular themes, make sure you can effectively structure an essay (begin, middle, end) with linking phrases and words. If in doubt READ LOTS OF GOOD STUFF so you have lots to talk about.
Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone could help me.. I have a 2:2 BA Hons Social Work, I have average ALevels and GCSES..
I want to per sure graduate entry into medicine, I would consider studying abroad also however would prefer to be in the UK.
I have 10 years of health care experience too..

any info would be great!

thanks!
Original post by Moonstruck16
I think you'll have to check individual universities because some don't allow you to defer for GEM.

Ahh I will calle them up! thank you
Original post by Graduate_Medic
I asked about deferring when I applied in the cycle that's just gone. Most advised they don't really do deferred, but policies can change year to year, so best to give each school a call and ask them directly.

Section 1 - read 20th century literature, get clued up on interpreting poems (20th cent and earlier), abstract and logical reasoning practice, build your vocabulary.

Section 2 - Watch TED talks, read Meaning of Things, practice 30 min timed essays inspired by quotes around particular themes, make sure you can effectively structure an essay (begin, middle, end) with linking phrases and words. If in doubt READ LOTS OF GOOD STUFF so you have lots to talk about.

Thank you for your reply! I have to call them up then because my situation is a little different My plan was to get my registration as a pharmacist by the time I start medicine so I can work here and there while doing the degree but deferred entry may look bad so i may have to apply after I graduate. I'll definately call them up to be sure.

Thank you for your tips I really appreciate it! If I am unable to apply next year I will end up having a lot of time and practice :biggrin:
Great to see so many responses to this thread. I've recently been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do and reading up on being a doctor, I always knew it wasn't going to be easy but I'm pretty sure I'm going to delay my application to 2020 so that by then I'll hopefully know with greater certainty what I want to do. Psychiatrist honesty seems like the perfect fit for me - it's whether I can first get through the ridiculously competitive entrance to GEM courses, and the 4 years of hardcore study with the main, if not sole focus, being physical medicine, which does interest me, but my passion is definitely mental health.
On a separate note, anyone investigated studying at Irish unis for GEM courses? Apparently loans are becoming available for UK citizens?

Latest

Trending

Trending