The Student Room Group

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41678797

Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed. The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

Ministers had previously said they did not support parents using physical chastisement, but had "no plans" to bring forward legislation of their own. But the government has now confirmed it will ensure a bill lodged by Green MSP John Finnie will become law. And it is understood that ministers will work with Mr Finnie to implement the bill in practice.

His proposals, which were out for consultation over the summer, would give children the same legal protection as adults. At present, parents in Scotland can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child - although the use of an "implement" in any punishment is banned, as is shaking or striking a child on the head.

I've never agreed with smacking your child so this is great news and I hope the rest of the UK follows.

Scroll to see replies

I disagree with this. Parents should be able to discipline there children by smacking when needed. (Yes I do feel there are times when it is needed)
nice
Good
'''
In my opinion, I don't necessarily believe smacking your child is a bad thing. Yes, I understand there are some instances where parents smack their children for no reason whatsoever...this isn't "justifiable smacking", however. This is child abuse. Smacking your children for no reason is wrong, but this is abuse. Banning smacking as a whole is just pathetic in my opinion. If it's used for disciplinary purposes, nothing wrong with it. But why ban it as a whole just because some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking?
Brilliant news :biggrin: Any parent who thinks physically abusing their child is a correct way to teach a child needs to be stopped.

Original post by Guru Jason
I disagree with this. Parents should be able to discipline there children by smacking when needed. (Yes I do feel there are times when it is needed)

So discipline = physical and potential emotional abuse? If the only way you can think of to discipline a child is to smack their face/rear, then you don't understand what discipline is. Children need to be punished often, but that punishment needs to be relevant to their wrongdoing and something that allows for them to learn.

What's better: A child who no longer screams because they understand it's disturbing to others (and perhaps futile), or a child who no longer screams because they are scared of their parent's palm?
(edited 6 years ago)
Smack your child, all you want. I completely disagree of banning it.
Snowflake generation never fails to disappoint.
Original post by UnpopularViews

Do you mind if I smack some reason into you?

Original post by King Leonidas
Snowflake generation never fails to disappoint.

How is it a snowflake reaction, it's banning motherfricken grown adults smacking children just because they are so incompetent at parenting they think it's the best way because "discipline".
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
Brilliant news :biggrin: Any parent who thinks physically abusing their child is a correct way to teach a child needs to be stopped.

So discipline = physical and potential emotional abuse? If the only way you can think of to discipline a child is to smack their face, then either you don't understand what discipline is, or you're an abusive piece of **** who needs to burn in a cauldron of acid. Children need to be punished often, but that punishment needs to be relevant to their wrongdoing and something that allows for them to learn.

What's better: A child who no longer screams because they understand it's disturbing to others (and perhaps futile), or a child who no longer screams because they are scared of their parent's palm?

I get why you have this viewpoint but calling others "abusive" simply because they disagree with you is unnecessary. I get that some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking but this is called abuse, a completely different matter. I don't see anything wrong with smacking your child if it's for disciplinary purposes (for minor things, no, but for circumstances where it's actually deserved). Well, I suppose different parents will have different opinions on whether a scenario is worthy of smacking, but hopefully you get my point.
Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian
I get why you have this viewpoint but calling others "abusive" simply because they disagree with you is unnecessary. I get that some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking but this is called abuse, a completely different matter. I don't see anything wrong with smacking your child if it's for disciplinary purposes (for minor things, no, but for circumstances where it's actually deserved). Well, I suppose different parents will have different opinions on whether a scenario is worthy of smacking, but hopefully you get my point.

I don't call people abusive just for disagreeing with me; I call them abusive for thinking smacking a child is OK.

Go on, tell me when EXACTLY is it okay to lay your adult hands on a child, rather than trying to make them understand what they did was wrong in a reasonable manner. Go on, tell me when it's OK to hurt a child as an adult.
I don't call people abusive just for disagreeing with me; I call them abusive for thinking smacking a child is OK.

Go on, tell me when EXACTLY is it okay to lay your adult hands on a child, rather than trying to make them understand what they did was wrong in a reasonable manner. Go on, tell me when it's OK to hurt a child as an adult.

I would give you a list of scenarios where smacking was okay but I don't want to end up in an argument. I only replied to your comment because I thought it was unnecessary to call another user abusive. Again, that's my opinion. It's clear we have differing views on the issue.
Like I said in my previous reply anyway, "different parents will have different opinions on whether a scenario is worthy of smacking". Basically, it's a subjective issue so arguing a scenario is a bit pointless to me when opinions are going to differ.
I respect your opinion. I just think smacking is a reasonable punishment if I feel the child has deserved it. I disagree with child abuse (i.e smacking for no reason, etc.) Though I've never been smacked as a child, my siblings were and they turned out okay. My mother was smacked for punishment too. I personally don't think it causes any harm if it's deserved. Again, whether it's deserved or not is subjective but you get the gist.

If you're hitting hard enough to inflict an injury/leave a mark or a bruise, then yes that's abuse.

But if you're smacking to discipline/discourage bad behaviour from a child it's not.
I don't agree that smacking a child is the primary method of disciplining a child. I do however believe that gently smacking a child in a situation where they would have potentially been hurt a lot worse if they had been allowed to continue is a good method of learning by associating the action with pain. As people have said previously, there is a huge difference between responsibly smacking a child and abuse.
For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...
Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian
In my opinion, I don't necessarily believe smacking your child is a bad thing. Yes, I understand there are some instances where parents smack their children for no reason whatsoever...this isn't "justifiable smacking", however. This is child abuse. Smacking your children for no reason is wrong, but this is abuse. Banning smacking as a whole is just pathetic in my opinion. If it's used for disciplinary purposes, nothing wrong with it. But why ban it as a whole just because some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking?

Original post by UnpopularViews

Original post by Guru Jason

Alright... but I want the right to hit the parents. Especially the mum, since she can't really fight back.

In fact I think the work place would be much more interesting if my boss new I had the right to some level of physical retaliation. I want low level physical violence to be legalised. I'm bigger and fitter than most of the fat blobs that exist in society, especially the older ones who are more likely to wield economic power over me. Might equalise things a bit. If adults can hit children, who are so much weaker than the differential between men and women... I want to be able to hit women as well.
(edited 6 years ago)

So discipline = physical and potential emotional abuse? If the only way you can think of to discipline a child is to smack their face/rear, then either you don't understand what discipline is, or you're an abusive piece of **** who needs to burn in a cauldron of acid. Children need to be punished often, but that punishment needs to be relevant to their wrongdoing and something that allows for them to learn.

In your scenario then sure a child that learns their lesson on their own but I tell you many children, myself included when I was younger, dont listen to reason. A good thrashing sorted my behaviour out better than any words could. I'm all the better for it.

The fear always leads to obedience if done from a young age.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...

Comparing kids who think running across the road with oncoming traffic is fun, to fully-grown adults is silly.

It's simple really. You should always attempt to explain to your child why what he did is wrong. But there are kids out there who will never listen or take a parent's warnings seriously, and the only deterrent for them is a parent's smacking.

Let's use your logic. A lot of parents will often confiscate a kid's possessions or place them in a time-out alone. Do you think it's fine for me to take some random adult and place them in a corner for time-out when they mess up? No.

Don't compare two completely different scenarios.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Prince of TSR
Comparing kids who think running across the road with oncoming traffic is fun, to fully-grown adults is silly.

It's simple really. You should always attempt to explain to your child why what he did is wrong. But there are kids out there who will never listen or take a parent's warnings seriously, and the only deterrent for them is a parent's smacking.

I don't believe that's true. I was smacked occasionally but I mostly used to be punished by not being allowed to watch my favourite cartoons or taking my sega megadrive away from me which was far more effective than a smack which lasted about 10 seconds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending