The Student Room Group

elizabeth i marriage n heir

out of curiousity but does anyone know/have an idea of what wouldve happened if elizabeth had gotten married but hadnt had an heir?

like would the crown go to her husband or would it have gone to james or someone different depending on which marriage?
Reply 1
wait this is in the wrong section sorry chat mods idk how to change it
Original post by aizzicle
out of curiousity but does anyone know/have an idea of what wouldve happened if elizabeth had gotten married but hadnt had an heir?

like would the crown go to her husband or would it have gone to james or someone different depending on which marriage?
Probably still James. These things tended to pass by blood, not marriage so James as king of Scotland would probably still be first choice.
It could be either, but i would say her husband. Her sister Mary married Spanish King Philip II and died childless, but towards the end of her life Philip had been very controlling, throwing England into wars for Spanish benefit. The reason the throne passed to Elizabeth was because Parliament managed to get Mary to promise that if she died childless, Philip wouldn't inherit the throne. Mary then named Elizabeth as heir on her death bed. I don't think Elizabeth would be in this same position, as she was much stronger willed to Mary. Her ministers spoke of succession, and she raised her voice at them and banned them from the topic; she was governed by herself, Mary was governed by her ministers. If she had married, then she wouldn't have signed this document and couldn't be made to.

That being said, Elizabeth's potential suitors were mostly Catholic, but James was Protestant so Elizabeth would probably prefer James to inherit the throne over her husband to keep religious continuity. To answer your question, I would say it depends on whom she married. A Catholic, James. A protestant, her husband.
Original post by SharlLeglerg16
It could be either, but i would say her husband. Her sister Mary married Spanish King Philip II and died childless, but towards the end of her life Philip had been very controlling, throwing England into wars for Spanish benefit. The reason the throne passed to Elizabeth was because Parliament managed to get Mary to promise that if she died childless, Philip wouldn't inherit the throne. Mary then named Elizabeth as heir on her death bed. I don't think Elizabeth would be in this same position, as she was much stronger willed to Mary. Her ministers spoke of succession, and she raised her voice at them and banned them from the topic; she was governed by herself, Mary was governed by her ministers. If she had married, then she wouldn't have signed this document and couldn't be made to.
That being said, Elizabeth's potential suitors were mostly Catholic, but James was Protestant so Elizabeth would probably prefer James to inherit the throne over her husband to keep religious continuity. To answer your question, I would say it depends on whom she married. A Catholic, James. A protestant, her husband.
Wrong. The right to the throne only passes down a blood line, so no change. It would have been James.
Original post by EmilyJane13579
Wrong. The right to the throne only passes down a blood line, so no change. It would have been James.
I would still say that depends on circumstance. Edward bypassed blood line to choose Jane over Mary. She wasn't his kid but it still broke the legal order of succession set out by Henry VIII. I do believe that if it went to Elizabeth's husband though he would have been killed the same way Jane was in favor of James.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending