The Student Room Group

Chemistry Bonding Question help?

3.Which type of bond is formed between N and B when a molecule of NH3 reacts with a molecule of BF3?
A Ionic.
B Covalent.
C Co-ordinate.
D Van der Waals.

Q5.Which of these substances does not show hydrogen bonding?
A HF
B NH3
C CH3COOH
D CHF3

.Which of these substances has permanent dipole-dipole attractions between molecules?
A CCl4
B C2F4
C (CH3)2CO
D CO2

Q9.In which one of the following species is the shape influenced by the presence of one or more lone pairs of electrons?
A NH
B NH
C [CH3NH3]+
D [Co(NH3)6]2+

I've attempted these questions but I just have no idea on how to get the correct answer. Could anyone explain how to get to the answer?
anyone
Original post by Bertybassett
anyone

Well I am not very good at chemistry (despite what my name may imply, as I am only in year 9) but what have you done so far?

TBH I only know a little about ionic and covalent bonds.

But someone else will come here and help, but show them what you have done so far, or what you think the answers are.
Which type of bond is formed between N and B when a molecule of NH3 reacts with a molecule of BF3?
A Ionic.
B Covalent. X Nitrogen and boron. n has lone pair, donates it to b
C Co-ordinate.
D Van der Waals.

A HF
B NH3
C CH3COOH
D CHF3 X h is not bonded to F N or O

.Which of these substances has permanent dipole-dipole attractions between molecules?
A CCl4 (can't be this, its tetrahedral)
B C2F4 (planar molecule)
C (CH3)2CO
D CO2 X not sure but this is the only one that has a neg point and pos point of its 3d structure.

Q9.In which one of the following species is the shape influenced by the presence of one or more lone pairs of electrons?
A NH ??? if you meant nh3, that would be the answer
B NH ???? I'm confused, a and b- these are the same
C [CH3NH3]+
D [Co(NH3)6]2+
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ionicbond
Which type of bond is formed between N and B when a molecule of NH3 reacts with a molecule of BF3?
A Ionic.
C Co-ordinate.
D Van der Waals.

A HF
B NH3
C CH3COOH

B C2F4 (planar molecule)
C (CH3)2CO
D CO2 X not sure but this is the only one that has a neg point and pos point of its 3d structure.

A NH ???
C [CH3NH3]+
D [Co(NH3)6]2+

You have a very fitting name for this...
Original post by Bill Nye
You have a very fitting name for this...

hahah, i suppose i do. not 100% sure about the answers but as an A2 chemist, its my best shot
A Ionic.
C Co-ordinate.
D Van der Waals.

A HF
B NH3
C CH3COOH

B C2F4 (planar molecule)
C (CH3)2CO

A NH ??? if you meant nh3, that would be the answer
C [CH3NH3]+
D [Co(NH3)6]2+

for q9 it's nh2- and nh4-

also the markscheme states that the first question's answer is C, not B
(edited 6 years ago)
for q9 it's nh2- and nh4-

also the markscheme states that the first question's answer is C, not B

Sorry thats what i meant, if n donates a lone PAIR it would be coordinate bonding anyway because theres no sharing from the b. i just put it next to the wrong letter.
Sorry thats what i meant, if n donates a lone PAIR it would be coordinate bonding anyway because theres no sharing from the b. i just put it next to the wrong letter.

thank you for the help. i was wondering if i'm struggling with these questions because i haven't actually learnt about 3d or linear shapes of molecules or anything? could this be so?
thank you for the help. i was wondering if i'm struggling with these questions because i haven't actually learnt about 3d or linear shapes of molecules or anything? could this be so?

yes definitely, you need that knowledge for most of the questions. maybe you will learn it later in the year?
yes definitely, you need that knowledge for most of the questions. maybe you will learn it later in the year?

ah right thank you for the help. much appreciated.
3.Which type of bond is formed between N and B when a molecule of NH3 reacts with a molecule of BF3?

C Co-ordinate. ----there is donation of e pair from N to B

D CHF3 -----------H is not bonded to very electronegative atom.

C (CH3)2CO

Answers are not clear.
Original post by adianadiadi

C Co-ordinate. ----there is donation of e pair from N to B

D CHF3 -----------H is not bonded to very electronegative atom.

C (CH3)2CO

Answers are not clear.

thanks. for 5 where the answer is d could you explain how you got to this answer as in how you know h isnt bonded to a very electronegative atom?
thanks. for 5 where the answer is d could you explain how you got to this answer as in how you know h isnt bonded to a very electronegative atom?

could you please tell me
could you please tell me

please

It's because this is a substituted alkane, all haloalkanes are.
The central carbon atom has individual bonds to each of the other atoms, and the other atoms do not have any bonds to each other.

Original post by TutorsChemistry
It's because this is a substituted alkane, all haloalkanes are.
The central carbon atom has individual bonds to each of the other atoms, and the other atoms do not have any bonds to each other.

ah right thanks. i dont think i have learnt this yet in class so do you think i will because there's no way i'd know to do that structure for that formula in an exam at this moment in time?

It is based on its structure. Look at the valency of C. It is 4. Hence it will form 4 bonds. One with H and three with F. Also note that, valencies of H and F are 1 and 1. They can form only one bond.

Quick Reply

Latest