The Student Room Group

Management vs Strategic consulting

Specifically this relates to those two roles at pwc, but asking more generally as well.

Is strategic consulting a sub-set of management consulting? So management consulting is broader than strategic consulting, right?

Also, which is more difficult to get into, which pays more? And is it quite possible to start off in management consulting before going into strategic consulting later on?
Original post by lunnndoner
Specifically this relates to those two roles at pwc, but asking more generally as well.

Is strategic consulting a sub-set of management consulting? So management consulting is broader than strategic consulting, right?

Also, which is more difficult to get into, which pays more? And is it quite possible to start off in management consulting before going into strategic consulting later on?

Management consulting is the umbrella name for consulting services to clients.

There are many sub-sets such as Operations, Technology, HR, Strategy, Finance, Security consulting.

Strategy consulting is often referred to as the "cream" of the consulting world because these consultants are often serving Management of Executive Boards and interact directly to the top-most levels of organisations.

Example of consulting companies are:

1. Strategy consulting: Bain, Mckinsey, Strategy& (PwC strategy consulting arm), BCG, Monitor (Deloitte strategy consulting arm), Oliver Wyman etc.

2. Technology consulting firms: PwC Tech Consulting, Accenture, Deloitte Digital, Capgemini etc.

To your questions, it is "easier" to get into standard management consulting roles than strategy consulting roles.

Strategy consulting roles are often targetted to people with deep technical expertise, strong relevant experiences or graduates of the best universities i.e. Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, Manchester, Princeton, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc.

Management consulting roles, at top firms, are still quite difficult to get into and often compared to banking or law firms.

At PwC, I think Strategy& (PwC strategy consulting) is almost impossible to get into. You have to be extra good to be even considered for a role.

I have heard that some people apply to the standard PwC management consulting role, get relevant experience and then transfer to Strategy consulting within the firm.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Management consulting is the umbrella name for consulting services to clients.

There are many sub-sets such as Operations, Technology, HR, Strategy, Finance, Security consulting.

Strategy consulting is often referred to as the "cream" of the consulting world because these consultants are often serving Management of Executive Boards and interact directly to the top-most levels of organisations.

Example of consulting companies are:

1. Strategy consulting: Bain, Mckinsey, Strategy& (PwC strategy consulting arm), BCG, Monitor (Deloitte strategy consulting arm), Oliver Wyman etc.

2. Technology consulting firms: PwC Tech Consulting, Accenture, Deloitte Digital, Capgemini etc.

To your questions, it is "easier" to get into standard management consulting roles than strategy consulting roles.

Strategy consulting roles are often targetted to people with deep technical expertise, strong relevant experiences or graduates of the best universities i.e. Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, Manchester, Princeton, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc.

Management consulting roles, at top firms, are still quite difficult to get into and often compared to banking or law firms.

At PwC, I think Strategy& (PwC strategy consulting) is almost impossible to get into. You have to be extra good to be even considered for a role.

I have heard that some people apply to the standard PwC management consulting role, get relevant experience and then transfer to Strategy consulting within the firm.

Thanks man, very in depth explanation.

Is strategy consulting at PwC more difficult to get into than Monitor Deloitte or any of the other strategy consulting firms you mentioned?
I could be wrong, but I heard 'strategy' consulting pays more than 'management' consulting

btw does anyone know what the starting salary is for PWC grad management consultants? (in London)
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks man, very in depth explanation.

Is strategy consulting at PwC more difficult to get into than Monitor Deloitte or any of the other strategy consulting firms you mentioned?

It is difficult to know which one is "easier" to get in. You have to look at stats, application rates, success rates and reasons for hiring those people.

From the outside, Strategy& (PwC's strategy house) appears to be more "prestigious" than Monitor Deloitte because Strategy& used to be Booz, Allen and Hamilton, a top global strategy firm, before being acquired by PwC.

The best approach will be to apply to all strategy and management consulting firms and then hope for the best. Except you are absolutely legendary or with deep contacts in certain firms, nobody can know how likely they are to receive an offer from the top firms, even students from the Big 8 Universities.
Original post by sleepless steve
I could be wrong, but I heard 'strategy' consulting pays more than 'management' consulting

btw does anyone know what the starting salary is for PWC grad management consultants? (in London)

Strategy firms do pay more than general Management consulting firms.

To know salary estimates, just search on the internet.
Reply 6
Original post by sleepless steve

I'd be keen on this as well
I'd be keen on this as well

last time I heard a figure it was ~£32-33k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending