The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
First year physics student here, let me know if you guys have questions.

Hi there! I have a physics interview in a couple of days and was wondering what your interview was like? My plan is to practice maths/physics qs and just read through my personal statement again i guess. Is that pretty much what to do in terms of preparation?

Thank you! :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by lordrohan731
I applied on 13th October and took the admissions test on the 26th October. Most people who've applied at the same time have got interviews.

I haven't got an interview. Some people are saying that it doesn't matter when you applied but I'm highly sceptical. What evidence is there to show that not being invited for interview yet doesn't suggest that you've been rejected?

Have I most likely been rejected considering everyone who's applied at the same time has either gotten an interview or is in the same predicament I'm in?

Do you know when Imperial starts rejecting people i.e. showing rejected on UCAS?

Can I ask you what your academic profile is like? Like A Level grades and GCSEs..
Original post by levi ackerman
Hi there! I have a physics interview in a couple of days and was wondering what your interview was like? My plan is to practice maths/physics qs and just read through my personal statement again i guess. Is that pretty much what to do in terms of preparation?

Thank you! :smile:

The questions I was asked were not difficult. He asked me a simple rotational mechanics questions (f=mv^2/r), and a pure maths question. I tripped up on the pure maths question but I still made it, so I doubt they matter much. Know your personal statement properly. He asked me about pretty much most things I mentioned.
I applied on 13th October and took the admissions test on the 26th October. Most people who've applied at the same time have got interviews.

I haven't got an interview. Some people are saying that it doesn't matter when you applied but I'm highly sceptical. What evidence is there to show that not being invited for interview yet doesn't suggest that you've been rejected?

Have I most likely been rejected considering everyone who's applied at the same time has either gotten an interview or is in the same predicament I'm in?

Do you know when Imperial starts rejecting people i.e. showing rejected on UCAS?

Mate I got my reply in early February and my interview in late February, having applied on the 12th of October. Don't worry, they do it in stages. I also had really good grades and references, so I doubt the timing has anything to do with anything. It's just random I think.
Original post by premedmath
Can I ask you what your academic profile is like? Like A Level grades and GCSEs..

GCSEs: 13A* 1A
A-Level (achieved + predicted): A* in A level Maths achieved + A* predictions in Bio, Chem, Physics, FM, AFM

That's why I'm so confused. I was really expecting at least an interview. Maybe I didn't perform well on the admissions test.
Im applying for Chem eng at imperial - DO i have any chance
My Gcse's not the greatest - Mostly A's with some B's
AS - Maths (A)
A2 Predictions - A*AAC
Original post by oShahpo
The questions I was asked were not difficult. He asked me a simple rotational mechanics questions (f=mv^2/r), and a pure maths question. I tripped up on the pure maths question but I still made it, so I doubt they matter much. Know your personal statement properly. He asked me about pretty much most things I mentioned.

ah awesome, thanks! hope first year goes well!
Reply 467
GCSEs: 13A* 1A
A-Level (achieved + predicted): A* in A level Maths achieved + A* predictions in Bio, Chem, Physics, FM, AFM

That's why I'm so confused. I was really expecting at least an interview. Maybe I didn't perform well on the admissions test.

How are you doing that many A levels?
Original post by Bahl12
How are you doing that many A levels?

I took A-level Maths in Year 10.

Self-study AFM and study 4 A-levels in school.
I am studying at Imperial so if you have any question regarding life at the uni or in a certain subject at Imperial, feel free to send me a message!
Original post by PMC01234
I am studying at Imperial so if you have any question regarding life at the uni or in a certain subject at Imperial, feel free to send me a message!

which course are you doing?
Original post by cpocha1
which course are you doing?

Maths w/ Stats, but I can still help for other courses. My best friends are in Mech Eng, Chem Eng, Geology/Geophysics, Medicine/Biomedicine, Physics w/ Theoretical Physics & Computing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Maths w/ Stats

So I applied for materials science. Do you know anyone who's in imperial studying materials science?
Original post by cpocha1
So I applied for materials science. Do you know anyone who's in imperial studying materials science?

Sorry, I don't know anyone doing materials science :/ Tbh it is a small course with not a lot of ppl
Sorry, I don't know anyone doing materials science :/ Tbh it is a small course with not a lot of ppl

Hi!!
My GCSEs are 2A*, 4A, and 2B
My AS level are aaae math, physics chemistry and IT
My predicted A levels are A*A*A in mpc
So does the e grade in IT affect my application although it is not related to my course. And do I have a chance to get an offer in imperial for materials science?
Thanks
Original post by cpocha1
Hi!!
My GCSEs are 2A*, 4A, and 2B
My AS level are aaae math, physics chemistry and IT
My predicted A levels are A*A*A in mpc
So does the e grade in IT affect my application although it is not related to my course. And do I have a chance to get an offer in imperial for materials science?
Thanks

Imperial puts quite a lot of importance on AS-levels and predicted A-levels. I'd say GCSE:AS:A is 1:3:6, and you'll have a computing course in 1st year.

As you have good A-levels predictions, I think that you can get in if you produce a very good personal statement.

Imperial takes into account applications by "cycles" and they select people from these cycles and reject others. Generally, the people falling in the first cycles is quite random, though those who applied early normally have an answer earlier than others. I personally applied the 14th October and got an offer on 3rd November (no interviews in maths) but I know ppl who got rejected only 2 weeks after sending their application and others who got an interview in January/February (when applied between September and December).

Tbh, it's better to wait than being rejected! ;-)
Imperial takes into account applications by "cycles" and they select people from these cycles and reject others. Generally, the people falling in the first cycles is quite random, though those who applied early normally have an answer earlier than others. I personally applied the 14th October and got an offer on 3rd November (no interviews in maths) but I know ppl who got rejected only 2 weeks after sending their application and others who got an interview in January/February (when applied between September and December).

So you applied on my birthday, Nice to hear. Also even for me there's no interview. I applied on 6th of September when can I get a reply?

How did you perform in the MAT?
Do you know how important MAT scores are in accordance to A level predictions.
Any help is appreciated
Original post by cpocha1
So you applied on my birthday, Nice to hear. Also even for me there's no interview. I applied on 6th of September when can I get a reply?

I can't say really, but I would suspect that you should have an answer before January. Nonetheless, if you don't have any answer in January that can also be good as that means you pass every cycle without being rejected.

Latest

Trending

Trending