The Student Room Group

Latin vocab

I’ve just done 2 latin past papers and haven’t done great in them bc I can never remember the vocab, has anyone got any tips on how to memorise vocab for a long term???
the app memrise has lots of latin stuff to learn there's a really long one for (ocr?) gcse latin with every word you need to know and it really drills it into your head
Original post by amna123
I’ve just done 2 latin past papers and haven’t done great in them bc I can never remember the vocab, has anyone got any tips on how to memorise vocab for a long term???

I used quizlet and honestly it was great. I personally didn't like memrise, but try both and see which suits you better. My main latin revision tools were quizlet for vocabulary, flash cards and chanting for grammar, and reciting for literature translations. (Got A*s in Latin and Ancient Greek GCSE with these methods.)
Having an app with vocab is great because if you're waiting for a bus or something and your social media feeds are kinda dead you can feel good about yourself by just matching some vocab and by doing little and often it really does help.
Reply 3
thank you both, I do use quizlet at times but will start using it a lot more - and I haven’t tried memrise before, I’ll give it a go!
Reply 4
Original post by StealingThunder
I used quizlet and honestly it was great. I personally didn't like memrise, but try both and see which suits you better. My main latin revision tools were quizlet for vocabulary, flash cards and chanting for grammar, and reciting for literature translations. (Got A*s in Latin and Ancient Greek GCSE with these methods.)
Having an app with vocab is great because if you're waiting for a bus or something and your social media feeds are kinda dead you can feel good about yourself by just matching some vocab and by doing little and often it really does help.

other than vocab, how did you revise for set texts (I think that’s what you mean but literature translations)? I have a mock coming up but have been putting of the revision as I have no idea how to begin to revise for all the translations
Original post by amna123
other than vocab, how did you revise for set texts (I think that’s what you mean but literature translations)? I have a mock coming up but have been putting of the revision as I have no idea how to begin to revise for all the translations

I would recite / dictate and then listen to the recording of my translation to memorise the translation. I would also make quizlet sets of particularly important vocab from the analysis. So any really useful poetic words I would highlight and learn for the analysis. It's much better to quote one word and discuss than try to analyse a whole chunk just because you can't remember which word means what.
You'd be surprise how much goes in if you listen to translations over and over.
Or some people would split the text into chunks and put it into quizlet and learn a sentence at a time in there. This is more time consuming but it's a more obvious progress of learning. (You can easily see how well you know it).
Also listening to the translation with the Latin in front of you helps, if you find you can listen and point to which word each bit means in the Latin that's good.
There's no correct way to memorise, I'm an auditory learner, but other people I knew would just write the translation out over and over.
^^best way to learn translations I also used to write the original text and the translation to it on alternating lines on flash cards which I found helped with knowing the thing as a continuous whole
Reply 7
Original post by StealingThunder
I would recite / dictate and then listen to the recording of my translation to memorise the translation. I would also make quizlet sets of particularly important vocab from the analysis. So any really useful poetic words I would highlight and learn for the analysis. It's much better to quote one word and discuss than try to analyse a whole chunk just because you can't remember which word means what.
You'd be surprise how much goes in if you listen to translations over and over.
Or some people would split the text into chunks and put it into quizlet and learn a sentence at a time in there. This is more time consuming but it's a more obvious progress of learning. (You can easily see how well you know it).
Also listening to the translation with the Latin in front of you helps, if you find you can listen and point to which word each bit means in the Latin that's good.
There's no correct way to memorise, I'm an auditory learner, but other people I knew would just write the translation out over and over.

this is so helpful thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by meredith2017
^^best way to learn translations I also used to write the original text and the translation to it on alternating lines on flash cards which I found helped with knowing the thing as a continuous whole

I think I’ll definitely do this closer to the exams to make sure I know the text, thank you!
Original post by amna123
this is so helpful thank you so much!! :smile:

You're welcome! Good luck with your exams! x
Original post by amna123

Cannot emphasise MEMRISE enough. Omg. It’s a life saver.
And if ur vocab list isn’t on there, copy and paste it on. It will take 10 minutes and be SO worth t.
I recommend both Quizlet and Memrise to my students, but there's a lot to be said for making your own vocab test sheets as well, and if your friends are taking Latin too, then I know some of my students swap their vocab tests that they've made between themselves, so you don't already "know" what vocab is going to come up, as it were!

I hope this helps. Feel free to send me a PM if there's anything else!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending