The Student Room Group

Classical GCSEs

Hi, I'm in year 9 and I am doing GCSEs in ancient history and Latin and possibly ancient greek. Is anyone else doing classical GCSEs either in GCSEs now or considering doing them? I'd love to talk to someone who has the same interests and is working towards the same goals.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by maths04
Hi, I'm in year 9 and I am doing GCSEs in ancient history and Latin and possibly ancient greek. Is anyone else doing classical GCSEs either in GCSEs now or considering doing them? I'd love to talk to someone who has the same interests and is working towards the same goals.
Thanks

i'm doing latin gcse right now, and i would highly recommend revising vocab every week, maybe using quizlet etc, and definitely revising your grammar as much as you can, as this will greatly help you in the long run!
once you start learning your set texts, make sure to memorise a section as soon as you learn it, as this will reduce your workload once the exam period actually starts!
i'm also doing classical civilisation gcse right now, and i love it, although the workload is a lot for both exams.
Reply 2
Original post by maths04
Thanks

I'm doing ancient greek right now (I'm in yr 11 and got a comfortable 9 in mocks) but most of the people who do greek in my school also do latin. I think the language part is really fun and enjoyable, and vocab is picked up really quickly. Although, there is one language paper and 2 literature papers and most people really do not like literature, including me. It basically just memorising the translation and style points - a hundred lines of verse and 4 short stories (for greek this year) - its kind of like the english anthology stories but in greek.

That said, I do really love the language part and would do alevel if half of it wasn't literature but if you really do want to do greek, I would go for it! I found it much more enjoyable than Latin aswell.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask
Reply 3
Original post by alexiia
I'm doing ancient greek right now (I'm in yr 11 and got a comfortable 9 in mocks) but most of the people who do greek in my school also do latin. I think the language part is really fun and enjoyable, and vocab is picked up really quickly. Although, there is one language paper and 2 literature papers and most people really do not like literature, including me. It basically just memorising the translation and style points - a hundred lines of verse and 4 short stories (for greek this year) - its kind of like the english anthology stories but in greek.

That said, I do really love the language part and would do alevel if half of it wasn't literature but if you really do want to do greek, I would go for it! I found it much more enjoyable than Latin aswell.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask

I do ancient greek too, how did you find the exam on Friday? I was so annoyed because I was racking my brains trying to think of a derivation for ανδρα and couldn't (my friends said they wrote androgynous)
Reply 4
Original post by berrichards
I do ancient greek too, how did you find the exam on Friday? I was so annoyed because I was racking my brains trying to think of a derivation for ανδρα and couldn't (my friends said they wrote androgynous)

I thought it was harder than the past years exams but it was still quite good! Same it took me a while to get that one and i put misandry in the end as i was thinking about misogyny. I think that was quite a hard derivation to get and I'm sure many people would have struggled and put something to do with anthropos instead. How was the rest for you?
Reply 5
Original post by alexiia
I thought it was harder than the past years exams but it was still quite good! Same it took me a while to get that one and i put misandry in the end as i was thinking about misogyny. I think that was quite a hard derivation to get and I'm sure many people would have struggled and put something to do with anthropos instead. How was the rest for you?

I agree, I found it a little harder than some of the practice papers we did. Misandry is such a good one! In general, I thought it went well though and I quite liked the translation. I'm not looking forward to Herodotus though, do you have any idea what the ten marker might be? I don't think there are a lot of options because there are four texts so the question will probably be quite broad so that we can cover all of them.
Reply 6
Original post by berrichards
I agree, I found it a little harder than some of the practice papers we did. Misandry is such a good one! In general, I thought it went well though and I quite liked the translation. I'm not looking forward to Herodotus though, do you have any idea what the ten marker might be? I don't think there are a lot of options because there are four texts so the question will probably be quite broad so that we can cover all of them.

Same - I just want to get the prose and verse over with. I have no clue what the ten marker would be - maybe how is Herodotus presented/ what story do you like best/ find most interesting? The stories I know quite well but I only know half of the verse so I need to learn that soon!
Reply 7
Hi, I did ancient greek GCSE a year early, I'm going into y11, got an 8 in my mock but thought I did much better in the actual thing (still think I'll get an 8 in the real thing tho as I noticed a lot of mistakes in my language paper!) Fully recommend doing greek, I quit latin and it seemed to help others doing both as I was one of two of us (in a class of 10) who didn't take it anymore.
Unlike others I found the prose and verse muuuuch better than the language (in response to previous posts everyone else in my class put anthropology for the derivation even though it clearly comes from anthropos :-( )
Classics are really impressive to at least have a go at in my opinion :-) Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest