The Student Room Group

Latin

Hiya, taking my exams next summer as a private candidate and was thinking of doing an additional A level latin. I did latin at gcse and found it really easy. Could i self-teach the latin OCR course in 6 months to achieve an A, or is it unrealistic? I have all the time at my disposal and would be able to dedicate at least 5-6 hours a day.
6 months is a relatively short amount of time but if you are spending 5-6 hours a day intensively on just Latin and being productive with it then hypothetically I couldn't see why not. The lack of a tutor or teacher guiding you is probably the big barrier potentially, gradewise. As you will have limited guidance on e.g. exam technique etc.
Reply 2
Thanks, ill give it a go, it is a two year long course but latin is a relatively limited vocabulary so i thought i should be alright.
Original post by artful_lounger
6 months is a relatively short amount of time but if you are spending 5-6 hours a day intensively on just Latin and being productive with it then hypothetically I couldn't see why not. The lack of a tutor or teacher guiding you is probably the big barrier potentially, gradewise. As you will have limited guidance on e.g. exam technique etc.
Original post by AHAWA
Thanks, ill give it a go, it is a two year long course but latin is a relatively limited vocabulary so i thought i should be alright.

Remember that vocab is really not the main thing, the grammar is the key - and that takes longer to learn and understand!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending