The Student Room Group

Frustrated Graduate Engineer

Dear all,

I have graduated in 2017 with a 2.1 in Meng Mechanical Engineering from a Russell Group university. I have no relevant experience to Engineering but I have worked in hospitality for 6 years. Since graduation I have applied for 50+ roles and so far have only been invited to 1 assessment centre. I thought that work was available for Engineers and the current state of the job market really frustrates me as 80% plus of companies do not even bother to respond to applications I have spend 2+ hours on.

How do you fellow Engineers and/or scientists get on with applications? Any tips?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ResultantForce
Dear all,

I have graduated in 2017 with a 2.1 in Meng Mechanical Engineering from a Russell Group university. I have no relevant experience to Engineering but I have worked in hospitality for 6 years. Since graduation I have applied for 50+ roles and so far have only been invited to 1 assessment centre. I thought that work was available for Engineers and the current state of the job market really frustrates me as 80% plus of companies do not even bother to respond to applications I have spend 2+ hours on.

How do you fellow Engineers and/or scientists get on with applications? Any tips?

I have moved this into the Engineering section, hopefully you will get some advice here.
Reply 2
Dear all,

Now I am worried. I too am studying the Meng and finding it really difficult to find a summer placement for this year ( even unpaid if necessary). Did you have the same experience or did you not apply for internships? Also did you work within hospitality whilst studying. Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Original post by 210555
Now I am worried. I too am studying the Meng and finding it really difficult to find a summer placement for this year ( even unpaid if necessary). Did you have the same experience or did you not apply for internships? Also did you work within hospitality whilst studying. Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I did not apply for internships and yes I studied and worked part time simultaneously.
Dear all,

I understand your pain the job market is extremely tough and it's difficult to get jobs even with an engineering degree. Nothing is guaranteed.

I remember before I started my engineering degree they (the engineering tutors) kept saying "Get a 1st class and you'll walk into any job you want" or "There is a huge demand for engineers" sadly these statements are far from the truth. Each year the market becomes more and more saturated with engineering graduates and there are more graduates than there are jobs. That being said it's not the end of the world because there are plenty of opportunities abroad and in the UK that you can take advantage of.

I recommend using job boards like Monster, Indeed, CV Library and putting up your CV on there and just click applying to whatever you can find. Don't be too picky though, beggars can't be choosers. I would also recommend staying away from places like GradCracker for the sole reason that the companies on there tend to be extremely competitive therefore they will have long application processes which may be taxing and more stressful.

Remain patient but don't give up. Hope this helps :smile:
Which stage do you fail at? You said you only got 1 assessment centre but are you getting interviews or being rejected after the application alone? Not having any relevant experience puts you at a disadvantage but you should be able to give evidence for all the desired soft skills from uni / extracurricular stuff / other work experience.
Original post by Student-95
Which stage do you fail at? You said you only got 1 assessment centre but are you getting interviews or being rejected after the application alone? Not having any relevant experience puts you at a disadvantage but you should be able to give evidence for all the desired soft skills from uni / extracurricular stuff / other work experience.

^

You need to clarify this OP.

It boils down to either your CV being not up to scratch or your interviewing technique being not up to scratch.

If possible, try to reach out to classmates or friends who are in engineering jobs too. Hell, even strangers. Networking/putting a name to a face helps big time with any recruiting process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is extremely difficult getting to the phone/ video/face to face stage. Once I get to this stage I feel I am more than capable to convince the employer of my skills and evidently I have passed a video and phone interview. My CV is very well written and edited (I use latex to compile documents) and I have had it checked by career service at university. Engineering in itself is a very tough degree and I am confident that I have built a solid set of skills I can build upon successfully in any graduate role. Employers can't possibly expect us to master CAD software/programming as an Engineering degree covers every subject to a certain volume.
Original post by trapking
I understand your pain the job market is extremely tough and it's difficult to get jobs even with an engineering degree. Nothing is guaranteed.

I remember before I started my engineering degree they (the engineering tutors) kept saying "Get a 1st class and you'll walk into any job you want" or "There is a huge demand for engineers" sadly these statements are far from the truth. Each year the market becomes more and more saturated with engineering graduates and there are more graduates than there are jobs. That being said it's not the end of the world because there are plenty of opportunities abroad and in the UK that you can take advantage of.

I recommend using job boards like Monster, Indeed, CV Library and putting up your CV on there and just click applying to whatever you can find. Don't be too picky though, beggars can't be choosers. I would also recommend staying away from places like GradCracker for the sole reason that the companies on there tend to be extremely competitive therefore they will have long application processes which may be taxing and more stressful.

Remain patient but don't give up. Hope this helps :smile:

This is true, the most popular degree out of my male friends is Engineering, (and business).
Have you tried Rolls Royce? They seemed quite desperate at the last event at my uni. Doesnt your Russell group have an employability service? mine does, there are job listings on our website....
My CV is very well written and edited (I use latex to compile documents)

I assume you are still submitting the CV in .doc (or, at a push, pdf) format, though?

Anyway, what kinds of things do you have on your CV? I assume you are tailoring it to the specific position you are applying for?
Original post by Smack
I assume you are still submitting the CV in .doc (or, at a push, pdf) format, though?

Anyway, what kinds of things do you have on your CV? I assume you are tailoring it to the specific position you are applying for?

Yes I submit PDF format. My CV outlines my aims, key skills, education, project work and work experience.
Yes I submit PDF format. My CV outlines my aims, key skills, education, project work and work experience.

Post it or some examples. There must be something lacking if you're commonly getting rejected on your application alone.
(edited 6 years ago)

I'm not sure if it'll make much difference, but I've heard that a Word doc is generally preferred to a PDF, and might also be easier to be searched by applicant tracking systems that a lot of big companies use.

Also might be worth checking out the IMechE Support Network:

https://www.imeche.org/support-network/
Thank you for the input. Any tips to ace the Assessment Centre?
Reply 16
There are plenty of engineering jobs you can find, they just happen to be in SMEs and not at the pay you will be happy with.

Blue-chip companies will always remain competitive.
Would it be okay to bring some uni work to an assessment centre to show to the interviewer?
For people who are desperate, I have a little personal advice from my own experience.

I think apart from applying for graduate scheme, the other way to go is to upload your CV to online cv libraries, so recruitment agency can search and find jobs for you.

It is very easy and efficient, usually when they approach you, they will have a job in mind that they think you will be suitable for, so let those recruiters help you to find job and have different interview which may land you a job or practice for the real thing ( your idea job interviews/ ACs)

If you are doing an engineering degree, you have a very wide career path and recruiters from diff sectors will want you to work for them as well.

I landed my first job with GRB and i have been appraoched by different recruiters as well, so start uploading you cv and let them bring you the good newsss !!!
Unfortunately I am in the same boat- very few invitations to asessment centers and very high numbers of applicants per vacancy/grad scheme for Mechanical Engineering. Not sure why schools/media etc keep saying there is a skills shortage when there are a large proportion of graduate engineers underemployed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending