The Student Room Group

Physics or Engineering

hello;
I would like do research which could be used to develop machines and vehicles (e.g doing research in plasma which will then be used to develop a spacecraft engine). I want to study Physics with Mathematics at University; but my parents want me to study Aerospace engineering because it has a higher chance of employability and earning potential. I,ve looked into Aerospace engineering courses but non of them interests me. However when I look at Physics courses it gives me a sense of excitement and joy. I,ve told my parents that for research i'll need to be in academics for a minimum of 8 years (i'll need a Bachelors, a masters, and a Ph.D) . But my parents don't like the idea; they think that with a physics degree I can just go into teaching and I won't be making that much money. They like Aerospace engineering because you can get a job straight out of uni. How do I convince my parents to let me do Physics??
Original post by OmarQur
hello;
I would like do research which could be used to develop machines and vehicles (e.g doing research in plasma which will then be used to develop a spacecraft engine). I want to study Physics with Mathematics at University; but my parents want me to study Aerospace engineering because it has a higher chance of employability and earning potential. I,ve looked into Aerospace engineering courses but non of them interests me. However when I look at Physics courses it gives me a sense of excitement and joy. I,ve told my parents that for research i'll need to be in academics for a minimum of 8 years (i'll need a Bachelors, a masters, and a Ph.D) . But my parents don't like the idea; they think that with a physics degree I can just go into teaching and I won't be making that much money. They like Aerospace engineering because you can get a job straight out of uni. How do I convince my parents to let me do Physics??

I'm not sure if aerospace engineering courses offer higher chances of employment and greater earning potential. Aerospace is quite saturated at the graduate entry level so plenty will go into other fields - and not just engineering, but also, for example, finance. The same is true of physics, in that very few physics graduates will become physicists after graduation. Outside of engineering, which does favour engineering grads, physics and engineering have essentially the same job prospects.

What you're interested in sounds more like physics, and what you'd be interested in studying is clearly physics. Given the opportunities for moving into a different field after graduation with a physics degree (provided, though, that you gain some sort of relevant or useful experience), there is no compelling reason for you to choose aerospace engineering.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I'm not sure if aerospace engineering courses offer higher chances of employment and greater earning potential. Aerospace is quite saturated at the graduate entry level so plenty will go into other fields - and not just engineering, but also, for example, finance. The same is true of physics, in that very few physics graduates will become physicists after graduation. Outside of engineering, which does favour engineering grads, physics and engineering have essentially the same job prospects.

What you're interested in sounds more like physics, and what you'd be interested in studying is clearly physics. Given the opportunities for moving into a different field after graduation with a physics degree (provided, though, that you gain some sort of relevant or useful experience), there is no compelling reason for you to choose aerospace engineering.

okay, thank you for your response. My parents agreed to let me study physics with mathematics at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending