The Student Room Group

The Dilemma of BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science

I'm new to this forum and not entirely certain if this is the right place, but I'm seeking opinions and perhaps hoping to feel less alone in navigating the challenges I'm facing.

I'm somewhat perplexed about the purpose of pursuing my BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Despite being predicted a D*DD, I find myself unable to qualify for the majority of university courses without opting for a foundation year. While I acknowledge that my BTEC background may not align with the academic rigor of A-level students, it's frustrating to observe that someone with CCC in A-levels can gain entry to a first-year course that I'm ineligible for. I question the significance of my qualification if it doesn't seem to open doors for various opportunities. It appears that most courses primarily require one science subject at A-level for admission. This raises questions about the practicality of my qualification and the opportunities it affords. I wonder if others share this frustration and what experiences they've had applying for opportunities with a similar qualification. What have you guys applied to with our qualification, and is anyone else feeling as restricted as I am in pursuing their desired paths?

I acknowledge that undergoing a foundation year isn't the end of the world, but the realization has been a bit of a shock for me. It's one entire year of my life, and the prospect of investing that time has left me somewhat taken aback. While I understand the potential benefits, I can't help but feel a sense of frustration about the unexpected detour and the realization that this is a year I won't be able to reclaim.
Original post by DianeMaple
I'm new to this forum and not entirely certain if this is the right place, but I'm seeking opinions and perhaps hoping to feel less alone in navigating the challenges I'm facing.

I'm somewhat perplexed about the purpose of pursuing my BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Despite being predicted a D*DD, I find myself unable to qualify for the majority of university courses without opting for a foundation year. While I acknowledge that my BTEC background may not align with the academic rigor of A-level students, it's frustrating to observe that someone with CCC in A-levels can gain entry to a first-year course that I'm ineligible for. I question the significance of my qualification if it doesn't seem to open doors for various opportunities. It appears that most courses primarily require one science subject at A-level for admission. This raises questions about the practicality of my qualification and the opportunities it affords. I wonder if others share this frustration and what experiences they've had applying for opportunities with a similar qualification. What have you guys applied to with our qualification, and is anyone else feeling as restricted as I am in pursuing their desired paths?

I acknowledge that undergoing a foundation year isn't the end of the world, but the realization has been a bit of a shock for me. It's one entire year of my life, and the prospect of investing that time has left me somewhat taken aback. While I understand the potential benefits, I can't help but feel a sense of frustration about the unexpected detour and the realization that this is a year I won't be able to reclaim.

It's difficult to comment on this without specifics. You say, "I find myself unable to qualify for the majority of university courses without opting for a foundation year".

You could apply for Aerospace Engineering courses H402/ H40A at Nottingham (although, without A level maths, there would be an academic interview involved to ensure your maths is strong enough). You could also apply to Chemical and Environmental Engineering at the same uni (assuming the units you opted for align with their expectations). All the other courses you could apply for at Nottingham are detailed here.

Or how about Queen Mary University of London? You could apply for A910 - BSc Oral Health or C100 - BSc Biology. All the details are here.

What degree were you hoping to do with your BTEC that "someone with CCC in A-levels can gain entry to", but you can't?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending