The Student Room Group

Rates question

In this question, the experiment is repeated with double volume- how would this affect the inital rate of reaction?
I have the concs of both reactants, value of K and the old initial rate of reaction

k=5.05 and other values listed in question. Thank you :smile: (it's the second part of the question I'm stuck on)
Original post by jazz_xox_
In this question, the experiment is repeated with double volume- how would this affect the inital rate of reaction?
I have the concs of both reactants, value of K and the old initial rate of reaction

k=5.05 and other values listed in question. Thank you :smile: (it's the second part of the question I'm stuck on)

The rate of reaction (initial or not) depends upon the concentration of reactants C and D, hence their concentrations are shown in the rate equation.
Repeat the experiment with different starting concentrations and the rate of reaction will be different too - it must be if you look at the rate equation for this reaction.

If you double the volume using just solvent, you will halve the concentrations of C and D. Work those concentrations out and put those values in the rate equation. K will be unchanged as the temperature will be the same in the repeated experiment.
Reply 2
Original post by TutorsChemistry
The rate of reaction (initial or not) depends upon the concentration of reactants C and D, hence their concentrations are shown in the rate equation.
Repeat the experiment with different starting concentrations and the rate of reaction will be different too - it must be if you look at the rate equation for this reaction.

If you double the volume using just solvent, you will halve the concentrations of C and D. Work those concentrations out and put those values in the rate equation. K will be unchanged as the temperature will be the same in the repeated experiment.

Ahh thank you, I have the answer now- I was doubling the concentrations rather than halving them. Could you explain a bit more as to why doubling the volume halves the concentration.. is it to do with concentration = moles / volume.. so if the volume is 2 times as big it will cause the concentration to half?
Ahh thank you, I have the answer now- I was doubling the concentrations rather than halving them. Could you explain a bit more as to why doubling the volume halves the concentration.. is it to do with concentration = moles / volume.. so if the volume is 2 times as big it will cause the concentration to half?

Yes, that's exactly the reason why :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, that's exactly the reason why :smile:

Thank you so much! Do you have a website or any other resources by any chance :smile:
Thank you so much! Do you have a website or any other resources by any chance :smile:

Well, yes I have very recently started an A Level chemistry website. The plan is to cover each topic in the A level chemistry syllabuses.

It is very early days and I haven't published about rates yet. So far there are lessons on acids & bases, the pH scale, how to use the ionic product of water. Shortly I will publish about Ka for acids, then Ka for acidic buffers.

Many more topics will follow; eqilibrium and reaction rates are coming soon.
You can register and use for free at http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/sign-up/
Reply 6
Well, yes I have very recently started an A Level chemistry website. The plan is to cover each topic in the A level chemistry syllabuses.

It is very early days and I haven't published about rates yet. So far there are lessons on acids & bases, the pH scale, how to use the ionic product of water. Shortly I will publish about Ka for acids, then Ka for acidic buffers.

Many more topics will follow; eqilibrium and reaction rates are coming soon.
You can register and use for free at http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/sign-up/

Brilliant I'll have a look, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest