The Student Room Group

Will I get in to medicine ?!

Okay, so I’m a year 13 student who hasn’t applied for medicine this year but is going to take a gap year and apply next year, I’m Gunna basically tell you my work experience and grades that realistically I think I will be able to get by September this year and I would like you to tell me wether you think I’ve got a good chance applying or wether I should maybe apply to something else (thinking about going to clearing as don’t particularly want 2 years out if I fail medicine application this year!)

Gcse: 5 A’s rest B’s
AS : AAAB
A2 : A*AA

Work experience: 6months at a care home, 2 days in a and e, week ina hospital, week in a GP

What do you reckon, should I apply and risk it ??
Original post by 3456rh

Work experience: 6months at a care home, 2 days in a and e, week ina hospital, week in a GP

You'd stand a good chance, though I'd avoid the med schools which want lots of A*s at GCSE e.g. Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, etc.

Obviously it will also depend on your entrance exams and how you perform at interview. No one here can predict whether you'll get in or not, but you stand a reasonable chance.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
I think you should unis don’t really look at GCSEs that much and u seem to meet all the entry requirements...just be careful with the unis u go for and smash the bmat and ukcat
Reply 3
Get the A2 grades to A*AA and then spend your gap year doing more volunteering, work experience and everything you can to boost your application, they might ask about it at some point in the process i.e. why you chose to have a year out and what you did with yourself. Then start working on BMAT/UKCAT and with a decent score I wouldn’t call it a risk to apply. You will have already achieved your A level grades and will have a lot of experience, with a good admissions test score you’ll be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by 3456rh

I don't see why not. Good chance, as long as your interview goes well and your UKCAT is good.
Original post by 3456rh
Okay, so I’m a year 13 student who hasn’t applied for medicine this year but is going to take a gap year and apply next year, I’m Gunna basically tell you my work experience and grades that realistically I think I will be able to get by September this year and I would like you to tell me wether you think I’ve got a good chance applying or wether I should maybe apply to something else (thinking about going to clearing as don’t particularly want 2 years out if I fail medicine application this year!)

from my experience, if you get in there is no likelihood you'll be able to cope with the hardest course of all. Medicine is like having to learn an entire GCSE syllabus every 2.5 weeks.
Reply 6
I appreciate all these speedy replies, umm, you’ve been pretty helpful I suppose so I’m gunna run you through my way of thinking and any advice would be calm, so I basically really want to go to university next year and taking 1 year out is not too much of an issue but if i fail i really don’t particularly want to have to have 2 years out; aswell as this, although I am sure I can handle it, I am unsure if it’s the best decision studying medicine as I am a person who enjoys their social life and am not sure about studying for hours on hours on hours all my life as supposed to having fun, I’m sure there would be other degrees I could enjoy although medicine is probably the one I will enjoy the most....... (: thanks people
Reply 7
Original post by CollectiveSoul
from my experience, if you get in there is no likelihood you'll be able to cope with the hardest course of all. Medicine is like having to learn an entire GCSE syllabus every 2.5 weeks.

In response to that, I’m not your typical med student but i would like to consider myself quite clever, I never really cared in GCSE’s and only started actually trying my hardest until recently and I do fully believe that I would be able to learn the content as well as any other med student would
Original post by 3456rh
I appreciate all these speedy replies, umm, you’ve been pretty helpful I suppose so I’m gunna run you through my way of thinking and any advice would be calm, so I basically really want to go to university next year and taking 1 year out is not too much of an issue but if i fail i really don’t particularly want to have to have 2 years out; aswell as this, although I am sure I can handle it, I am unsure if it’s the best decision studying medicine as I am a person who enjoys their social life and am not sure about studying for hours on hours on hours all my life as supposed to having fun, I’m sure there would be other degrees I could enjoy although medicine is probably the one I will enjoy the most....... (: thanks people

Try your best to get in then :p: No one here can give you a guarantee, you just need to apply and see what happens. Lots of med students need more than one attempt to get in, it's not a big deal. It sounds like you've got good stats, so if you apply strategically and do well in the interview you should be able to get at least one offer.

As for the social life thing...you can definitely have a social life at medical school. Except at exam time (but that's true of all academic degrees) or when you're on placement the next day (but that's what weekends are for). Sorted :borat:
Reply 9
If you get achieved A-levels they will make up for your GCSE’s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending