The Student Room Group

Justin Trudeau tells woman to say "peoplekind" instead of "mankind"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Man Power bruh!
How do people speaking Latin based languages manage?
Half the words have gender attached to them and use the male version whenever it's a group.
Reply 82
Original post by Iridocyclitis
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42952220

"Man" is a long-standing word for humanity as a whole. What next? Change "Human" to "Huperson"?

I don't see what's wrong with peoplekind, as there are other people who are not men in the world...
Original post by Zoqua
I don't see what's wrong with peoplekind

Then you are part of the problem. 'Mankind' includes women. If you object that it includes the letters 'man' then so do 'human', 'humanity' and 'humane'. Would you object to being called humane, or would you insist on something else?
Reply 84
Original post by Good bloke
Then you are part of the problem. 'Mankind' includes women. If you object that it includes the letters 'man' then so do 'human', 'humanity' and 'humane'. Would you object to being called humane, or would you insist on something else?

If you where trying to spell human, instead of humane, then yes, I do think that it is sexist that manking, human, and yet more than half the human population are actually women, therefore making it illogical on two fronts. There are more important things in the world, but if another more gender fair species name was coined then I would use it.
Which one. I'm sure that when I studied Spanish and French there were loads of words like that. e.g. table being female

Also I'm sure when you said they for a group of boys and girls it always takes the male they if any boys are in the group.
Original post by Zoqua
If you where trying to spell human, instead of humane

I'll assume you meant to write 'If you were trying to spell human instead of humane' and respond that I meant to spell exactly what I did spell: 'humane'.
Reply 87
I'll assume you meant to write 'If you were trying to spell human instead of humane' and respond that I meant to spell exactly what I did spell: 'humane'.

I would not particularly mind being called Humane if it meant that it represented a more logical percentage of the population. I am still not exactly clear what your point for not changing it to "peoplekind" is?
Original post by Zoqua
I am still not exactly clear what your point for not changing it to "peoplekind" is?

It isn't needed, is a plural singular and is inelegant.
Reply 89
Original post by Alamaniya
Don’t you think there is a positive connotation to the word “man”? As in “be a man”. Calling someone a girl is even an insult, nobody says “be a woman” or uses any word associated with femininity as a good thing. Women are seen as weak naive beings, and our language reflects that. Young girls are exposed to that from a very young age. Why aren’t we supposed to do anything about it? I don’t understand why some people get so bothered about this.

be a man isn't positive it means "quit crying and go do something, even if you have to suffer". many girls I know would get offended if they were called a boy same as many boys would be offended if they were called a girl. our language reflects that women are weak and naive that's why the term "strong independent woman" exists but not "strong independent man".
Reply 90
Original post by Noodlestudent
Yeah I’m not saying it could definitely happen but it’s one of the few that can affects how men have been put in power. Slavery does still exist though as well as sexism. It is just more subtly and sometimes without any thought/ ill intent behind it.

how on earth does a novel written BY A WOMAN after women gained equal (and more) rights than men show how men "have been put into power". I live in the UK and currently the most powerful person in the country (our monarch) is a woman. our PM is also a woman. chancellor of Germany is also a woman. Women also have power. it's not only men have power. if you ignore the stories you hear once in a while, can you please give me a modern example of slavery in a first world country. pretty much all first world countries have outlawed slavery so if it does exist then it's not the duty of some activists to get involved but rather that of the police.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
This cringefest of a politician just keeps on giving.

'Mankind' is not exclusionary. It's used for both sexes. Pretty much always has. He sees 'man' in a word and thinks "Oh no, sexism! It excludes women!" But what about 'human', or the word 'woman' itself? Does he know anything at all about words? And all those morons clapping.... Ugh.

He was joking. The lady’s question was so long he had to do something to keep people from dozing off. Jeez, both the rabid reactionaries and radical feminists need to relax and learn to take a joke.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by arizonaidiot
Well,for starters,the word has been around longer and more people are familiar with it.Not to mention most of the world has become acclimatized to it due to it being used so frequently in everyday language.

Words change. Do you still use Shakespearean English?
Humankind is just a longer, clumsier version of mankind. And still contains 'man'.

Is the English vocabulary primarily concerned with efficiency?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Words change. Do you still use Shakespearean English?

But it takes time to get used to them.Better to go with the flow and f*ck this feminist crap.
But it takes time to get used to them.Better to go with the flow and f*ck this feminist crap.

Going with the flow in this context probably means following the natural evolution of vocabulary. You can resist and stay static of course, while the rest of the world slowly moves on. Lol
Going with the flow in this context probably means following the natural evolution of vocabulary. You can resist and stay static of course, while the rest of the world slowly moves on. Lol

Ah,but the rest of the world isn't gonna stand for this feminist bullsh1t and ;hence,won't move on.
Ah,but the rest of the world isn't gonna stand for this feminist bullsh1t and ;hence,won't move on.

You should probably refrain from discussing the evolution of language unless you fix your punctuation.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
How do people speaking Latin based languages manage?
Half the words have gender attached to them and use the male version whenever it's a group.

Well all this ridiculous PC, SJW nonsense to do with gender appears to be an almost exclusive occurrence in the Anglosphere, and is virtually absent in other places. As a Spanish speaker, I can say that I’ve never experienced any of this weirdness in Spain, nor have I ever heard it anywhere other than the UK or US. People should realise that the gender of nouns has nothing to do with biological sex/gender and should therefore not be an issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
You should probably refrain from discussing the evolution of language unless you fix your punctuation.

Nothing wrong with my punctuation.Try glasses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending