The Student Room Group

English Literature

When you are writing you english literature essay. Is it best to have lots of quotations and embed them. Or is it best to pick out a few quotations and do a really in depth analysis

I have been reading some grade 9 essays and there are lots of quotations all embedded however my teacher is telling me to say three things about each quote and move on to the next. So, in my mocks i had about 4 quotes in total and got a grade 5.

What would be best to get high marks?
Original post by jedladskcdvcbg
When you are writing you english literature essay. Is it best to have lots of quotations and embed them. Or is it best to pick out a few quotations and do a really in depth analysis
I have been reading some grade 9 essays and there are lots of quotations all embedded however my teacher is telling me to say three things about each quote and move on to the next. So, in my mocks i had about 4 quotes in total and got a grade 5.

From my experience I’d embed lots of quotes and pick a couple of those ones to analyse in depth with context etc. The essays you read are clearly doing the right thing with quotes and analysis so I’d follow their structure!
Original post by jedladskcdvcbg
When you have an extract, you’re expected to quote more. Remember short, snappy quotes that you can easily analyse. Each paragraph should have at least 2 quotes that support your argument. It is your analysis that is probably hindering you at a Grade 5.
Hiya! To get a high grade, it's usually best to pick out a really effective quote that answers the question (always reread the question) then support it with embedded quotes. The embedded quotes should be shorter- just just a few words- and then the main quote for your paragraph should be longer so you can pick it apart. Ask your teacher for an example if you're not sure, I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending