The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it realistic for me to apply to Durham to study Criminology?

I hope to study Criminology at Durham.

I achieved grades of AAB at AS and Durham and York's entry is AAB.

However, I came from a bad secondary school where only 49% of the year achieved 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths. My grades were: AAABBBBCC and a B in AS Religious Studies.

I feel I have a strong personal statement with various awards from high ranking police officers in my local force, the highest being a Chief Constable award. I have also had work experience with the Met and have other valuable experience for a degree in Criminology. Do you think Durham would consider my application regardless of my lower GCSE grades?
Original post by 08vihe
I hope to study Criminology at Durham.

I achieved grades of AAB at AS and Durham and York's entry is AAB.

However, I came from a bad secondary school where only 49% of the year achieved 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths. My grades were: AAABBBBCC and a B in AS Religious Studies.

I feel I have a strong personal statement with various awards from high ranking police officers in my local force, the highest being a Chief Constable award. I have also had work experience with the Met and have other valuable experience for a degree in Criminology. Do you think Durham would consider my application regardless of my lower GCSE grades?

Yes. I didn't get a single A at GCSE, and yet I received an offer from Durham for Physics :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Yes. I didn't get a single A at GCSE, and yet I received an offer from Durham for Physics :biggrin:

You make me feel so much better about myself! Thank you so much for replying to this. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
update on this, two weeks ago I was at a career con thing and a Durham rep was there and I asked her if Durham had any policies regarding under-achieving students and she had no clue what I was going on about. I specifically asked her that because I go to a grammar school where the standard is very high, would I have an equal chance as my friend who with me, because he is a Lithuanian migrant that sat his GCSES in a very underachieving secondary school and got the best GCSEs in his school. Again, she said no, but understood what I was asking, and elaborated. Apparently, if GCSEs are used as a deciding factor between candidates, the performance factor was taken into account. And that's why, she said, do well in you're AS levels, have a good PS you shouldn't have too many problems.
I would interpret what she said here:
08vihe is hypothetically competing against a candidate with AAA in AS level, and AAA predictions. you're PS's are on the same standard. the other candidate gets the place.
However,
08vihe is hypothetically competing with another candidate with AAB predictions at A level, AAB at As level (same grades). Their PS is on the same standard. The other candidate achieved 3 A*s, 6 As one B at GCSE. However, taking into account 08vihe's secondary school, his/her's GCSE results level the playing field. The outcome is dependent on other factors.
Reply 4
Original post by Shane Webb
update on this, two weeks ago I was at a career con thing and a Durham rep was there and I asked her if Durham had any policies regarding under-achieving students and she had no clue what I was going on about. I specifically asked her that because I go to a grammar school where the standard is very high, would I have an equal chance as my friend who with me, because he is a Lithuanian migrant that sat his GCSES in a very underachieving secondary school and got the best GCSEs in his school. Again, she said no, but understood what I was asking, and elaborated. Apparently, if GCSEs are used as a deciding factor between candidates, the performance factor was taken into account. And that's why, she said, do well in you're AS levels, have a good PS you shouldn't have too many problems.
08vihe is hypothetically competing against a candidate with AAA in AS level, and AAA predictions. you're PS's are on the same standard. the other candidate gets the place.
However,
08vihe is hypothetically competing with another candidate with AAB predictions at A level, AAB at As level (same grades). Their PS is on the same standard. The other candidate achieved 3 A*s, 6 As one B at GCSE. However, taking into account 08vihe's secondary school, his/her's GCSE results level the playing field. The outcome is dependent on other factors.

Thank you very much for this! I received a conditional offer from Durham today, I am so so so happy.
Good For You! That's awesome
I might apply next year for Anthropology but have heard stuff about Durham being GCSE Nazis. I got 3 A*, 6 As and a B, but Im really not sure how this would place me. Like I said above, I go to a grammar school, and whilst my GCSEs were good in relation to everyone else in the grammar school, they weren't the very best. I was given predicted A levels of AAAA, and seeing as Anthropology's conditional offer is ABB (for the bsc), im really, really not sure.
Reply 6
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

They were all A*s right? :P
Original post by Dylann
They were all A*s right? :P

No, nothing above B.
Reply 8
Good For You! That's awesome
I might apply next year for Anthropology but have heard stuff about Durham being GCSE Nazis. I got 3 A*, 6 As and a B, but Im really not sure how this would place me. Like I said above, I go to a grammar school, and whilst my GCSEs were good in relation to everyone else in the grammar school, they weren't the very best. I was given predicted A levels of AAAA, and seeing as Anthropology's conditional offer is ABB (for the bsc), im really, really not sure.

Well I got an offer and I only got 3 A's 4 B's and 2 C's so I think you're being a bit of a show off.:wink: Obviously you're going to get an offer if I got an offer! lol
However,

Hi, sorry but by performance factor do you mean achievement relative to the school's averages?
I got A*AAAABBBBB at a grammar school - would you say this would be roughly equivalent to AAABBBCCCC from someone that went to a low achieving school?
I know my GCSEs weren't great for a grammar school but I have good AS grades, so I'm hoping that once my application finally gets sent off I may have a chance with Durham!
Original post by libertinegirl96
Hi, sorry but by performance factor do you mean achievement relative to the school's averages?
I got A*AAAABBBBB at a grammar school - would you say this would be roughly equivalent to AAABBBCCCC from someone that went to a low achieving school?
I know my GCSEs weren't great for a grammar school but I have good AS grades, so I'm hoping that once my application finally gets sent off I may have a chance with Durham!

I'll be honest, I really don't know. I only asked one woman from Durham at a promotional event, so I wouldn't hold this as the golden rule for applying.
If you're AS levels were good, I don't see why you wouldn't get in. Remember you're GCSEs would be considered excellent compared to the national average. Remember this is my opinion****
From what the woman told me, I would assume that because you're GCSEs are strong, you wouldn't be given any special treatment regarding them whatsoever
I'll be honest, I really don't know. I only asked one woman from Durham at a promotional event, so I wouldn't hold this as the golden rule for applying.
If you're AS levels were good, I don't see why you wouldn't get in. Remember you're GCSEs would be considered excellent compared to the national average. Remember this is my opinion****
From what the woman told me, I would assume that because you're GCSEs are strong, you wouldn't be given any special treatment regarding them whatsoever

Thank you!:smile:
hey can someone please tell me how competitive is criminology in durham uni?
110% I just got an offer from Durham to study criminology, my offer was BBB!

My GCSE’s however: 2 B’s, 7 C’s and 1 D.

I am from a deprived area, I’m head girl, Enfield youth paraliment representative.

You’ve got this !
Original post by Emilygracecrouch
110% I just got an offer from Durham to study criminology, my offer was BBB!

My GCSE’s however: 2 B’s, 7 C’s and 1 D.

I am from a deprived area, I’m head girl, Enfield youth paraliment representative.

You’ve got this !

fellow youth parliament member here!! I also received an offer for criminology from Durham the other day, see you in September!
Reply 15
Also got an offer a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I will also see you in September!
Original post by a_smith_
fellow youth parliament member here!! I also received an offer for criminology from Durham the other day, see you in September!

Amazing!! What college x
Original post by Emilygracecrouch
Amazing!! What college x

Butler, you?
Original post by a_smith_
Butler, you?

University :smile:
I’ve got an offer for criminology at Butler too! Proper worried about the distance tho seems so far and I hate walking ahah

Quick Reply

Latest