The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough to get into these universities?

Here are the universities I am applying to: (in order)1) Durham University2) University of Edinburgh 3) University of Liverpool 4) University of Reading5) Nottingham Trent University I want to do a degree in meteorologyGCSE Grades:Maths - 9 (Retake)English Lit - 9 (Retake)English Lang - 7Biology - 9Chemistry - 7Physics - 9RE - 7History - 7 Business - 7French - 6A-Level Grades: (Predicted)Biology - A*Psychology - A*Geography - A*
Original post by username6281497
Here are the universities I am applying to: (in order)1) Durham University2) University of Edinburgh 3) University of Liverpool 4) University of Reading5) Nottingham Trent University I want to do a degree in meteorologyGCSE Grades:Maths - 9 (Retake)English Lit - 9 (Retake)English Lang - 7Biology - 9Chemistry - 7Physics - 9RE - 7History - 7 Business - 7French - 6A-Level Grades: (Predicted)Biology - A*Psychology - A*Geography - A*

Durham questionable as they’ll possibly have more applicants with higher GCSEs for this course than the others - the other choices sound very realistic but double check on the university websites that those retakes are not an issue
Durham could work potentially , though, especially if you have contextual points or flags just depending on the other applicants
- anyway, it is good to have an aspirational option or two
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Go to Open Days and look around. Do I like the course, does this Uni feel comfortable for me.

Reading is without question the best Uni for Meteorology - so dont assume that 'posh Uni with high grade requirement' automatically means 'better'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by McGinger
Go to Open Days and look around. Do I like the course, does this Uni feel comfortable for me.

Reading is without question the best Uni for Meteorology - so dont assume that 'posh Uni with high grade requirement' automatically means 'better'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

was aware of Reading ranking higher for meteorological science, but nevertheless it is less competitive in terms of applicants for the course than Durham
(agree entirely that it is not automatically better in spite of that-
Reading also would be great option for a postgrad in this subject area :smile: )

Your grades are fine. The one issue you might come across is not having A level Maths. Meteorolgy is a very Mathematical subject and you may need to take a gap year and sit it or possibly take a foundation year. Looking at your choices and predictions have you though of Exeter. The met office is based there and there are very close links between it and the university.

Hi there,

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

Congratulations on having such great grades and predicted grades - these options seem super realistic. Although it's never guaranteed that you will get a place and it can vary each year - you have excellent grades so will a good personal statement, from my experience, these aren't unrealistic.

All the best :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,

You have a strong set of predicted grades, well done! During this period running up to Results Day, representatives of my University are unable to indicate whether you would be likely, unlikely to be offered a place. Best of luck with your studies :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending