The Student Room Group

NINE DTP Applicants 24/25

I thought I would just be a bit of fun to create this forum for other applicants to discuss the process and the outcomes of NINE DTP applications. I saw a similar forum for previous years so I thought it would be good to help support one another through the waiting phase.

What university are you currently at?
What pathway and scheme did you apply for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I applied to the NINE DTP! I am a research assistant right now. What about you? You know how competitive is?
Reply 2
Original post by Joel42
Hi, I applied to the NINE DTP! I am a research assistant right now. What about you? You know how competitive is?

Hi! I applied for the 4.5 Criminology, Prisons and Policing pathway as I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree this summer so I am hoping to get the Master's funding too. I believe it is highly competitive given the range of funding and subject areas available as they only fund around 50 ish students each year. What university have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
I applied to the nine dtp at durham and found out the department nominated me a couple of weeks ago! I am currently also working but did my masters at cam 🙂
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by E11es
I applied to the nine dtp at durham and found out the department nominated me a couple of weeks ago! I am currently also working but did my masters at cam 🙂

That's brilliant congrats on being nominated by your department! I have also applied to Durham, which research pathway did you select?
Reply 5
Original post by Namakii
That's brilliant congrats on being nominated by your department! I have also applied to Durham, which research pathway did you select?

Thank you! I’ve applied for the sociology, social policy and social work pathway but my project probably overlaps into criminology a little
Reply 6
Original post by E11es
Thank you! I’ve applied for the sociology, social policy and social work pathway but my project probably overlaps into criminology a little

Good luck with your application! How are you feeling about your application? I know I'm super nervous about the whole thing and I keep checking my emails to see if there have been any further updates. Truthfully, I did my application a bit too close to the deadline for comfort so there's parts I could probably improve upon but I found it so difficult to get all the detail in my proposal within the word count.
Reply 7
Original post by Namakii
Good luck with your application! How are you feeling about your application? I know I'm super nervous about the whole thing and I keep checking my emails to see if there have been any further updates. Truthfully, I did my application a bit too close to the deadline for comfort so there's parts I could probably improve upon but I found it so difficult to get all the detail in my proposal within the word count.

You too! And same, I only had a meeting with my potential supervisors the same week the application was due so my proposal had to be edited pretty quickly. Getting past the first hurdle has made me feel more settled but still anything can happen
Reply 8
Original post by E11es
You too! And same, I only had a meeting with my potential supervisors the same week the application was due so my proposal had to be edited pretty quickly. Getting past the first hurdle has made me feel more settled but still anything can happen

I had a similar experience ahaha. Luckily my currents supervisor was willing to be my potential supervisor so that took some of the stress off. If you don't mind me asking what masters are you doing currently. I am trying to keep my options open and get some next steps ready in case I don't get awarded funding as I know the process is quite competitive
Reply 9
Original post by Namakii
Hi! I applied for the 4.5 Criminology, Prisons and Policing pathway as I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree this summer so I am hoping to get the Master's funding too. I believe it is highly competitive given the range of funding and subject areas available as they only fund around 50 ish students each year. What university have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

I have applied to Durham 🙂
Reply 10
Original post by Namakii
I had a similar experience ahaha. Luckily my currents supervisor was willing to be my potential supervisor so that took some of the stress off. If you don't mind me asking what masters are you doing currently. I am trying to keep my options open and get some next steps ready in case I don't get awarded funding as I know the process is quite competitive

Ahh its good you already know your supervisor and it all worked out! I did my mphil in marginality and exclusion at cambridge but i know some people who did the criminology mphil there and enjoyed it
Reply 11
Original post by E11es
Ahh its good you already know your supervisor and it all worked out! I did my mphil in marginality and exclusion at cambridge but i know some people who did the criminology mphil there and enjoyed it

Ah that sounds like it would be an interesting course, I'll have to look into it. When do you think they will release the pathway decisions? I know the deadline is next Monday I believe but for the internal round I found out a few days before hand.
Reply 12
Has anyone heard anything yet? I know the pathway decision deadline is today so I was wondering whether we would get told whether we have passed the pathway round today on in the coming few days.
Reply 13
Original post by Namakii
Has anyone heard anything yet? I know the pathway decision deadline is today so I was wondering whether we would get told whether we have passed the pathway round today on in the coming few days.
I haven´t heard anything yet... I think maybe tomorrow we will get to know?
Reply 14
Original post by Joel42
I haven´t heard anything yet... I think maybe tomorrow we will get to know?
Yeah, maybe it will be tomorrow. I feel like I've worked myself up for it being today with the deadline as the NINE DTP website says that those that make it through the pathways stages should be selected ahead of the deadline but obviously the deadline is today but there's no specific timings. I hate that its just a waiting game now ahahah I just keep getting more anxious the longer it is ahaha
Reply 15
I just received my notification 30 minutes ago that I was shortlisted for the final round of the competition. Fingers crossed for you guys too.
Reply 16
Original post by Namakii
I just received my notification 30 minutes ago that I was shortlisted for the final round of the competition. Fingers crossed for you guys too.
So was I! Exciting!
Reply 17
Original post by E11es
So was I! Exciting!
Congratulations! It's definitely exciting, best of luck in the final round 😀
I'm very confused as to whether I have been shortlisted or not. My supervisor maintains I have, but I've not received any official communication about it which is proving to be mildly stressful at the very least.
Reply 19
Original post by ChaoticProcyon
I'm very confused as to whether I have been shortlisted or not. My supervisor maintains I have, but I've not received any official communication about it which is proving to be mildly stressful at the very least.
All my communication has come from the department’s postgrad admin, maybe check with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending