The Student Room Group

Medical school applications 2019 entry - applying with a weak gcse profile

Hi, I applied to study undergraduate Medicine as a home student for 2018 entry. Unlike many people you will see on TSR, I was not the ideal candidate; I had average GCSES and a below average UKCAT score. Despite what I thought was extensive research, I am now realising that I made many mistakes when selecting my universities. There aren't many people out there who talk about having a weak application and so, I'm hoping that this post helps those of you who may not have the best stats.

SIDE NOTE: At GCSE I obtained 4A*s and 6As. My ukcat score averaged at 623 and the average for 2018 entry was 635. My total score was 2490. The universities I applied to were Exeter, Leicester, Keele and Leeds (BMAT). My BMAT score was 4.9 4.9 4.5 A (slightly above average). I was rejected from Leicester, Leeds and Exeter pre-interview and I have received an interview from Keele.

CHOOSING YOUR UNIVERSITIES:

1. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8 A*s) and an average /above average UKCAT score, APPLY ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!
2. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8A*s) and a below average UKCAT, consider applying to Birmingham and Cardiff as a majority of their application weighting is allocated to GCSEs.
3. If you have a weaker GCSE profile and an ABOVE average UKCAT score (ideally 700+), consider UKCAT heavy universities such as Sheffield, Manchester,KCL and Newcastle.
4.If you have average GCSEs for a medical school applicant (4A* or less) and a weaker UKCAT score, consider the following options:

- Keele University: Keele University does select its candidates based on their GCSEs or UKCAT score. They require applicants to meet their basic GCSE requirements (5As and at least a grade B in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language) and UKCAT cut off (Keele do not consider the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores or individuals who obtain Band 4 in the Situational Judgement test). For 2018 entry, Keele's UKCAT cut off was a total of 2340 which is an average of 585. Once an applicant has met these requirements, these requirements are not considered further. The main way in which Keele University selects its interviewees is through their Roles and Responsibilities form. This form requires applicants to discuss specified moments within any HANDS ON EXPERIENCE they have. Unlike work shadowing, Keele is interested to know what applicants have done themselves, and how this has developed skills that will allow them to be a good doctor. This form is accessible online and so, applicants can plan their answers well ahead of time. The form is sent to applicants through an email after they have applied. Keele also requires applicants to declare information about the experiences mentioned on the form, including a start date, number of hours, role within the organisation and contact details of each of your work experiences. THEY WILL CHECK SO DO NOT LIE!

https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20form%20draft%20for%20web.pdf

The other universities I urge you to consider are universities I did not apply to, however have had friends apply with similar profiles who went on to receive interviews:

-The University of Liverpool
-St. George's University of London
-Hull-York Medical School
-Brighton and Sussex Medical school (BMAT)

Remember that Medicine is Medicine no matter where you end up. If you really want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you. JUST TRY NOT TO MAKE SILLY CHOICES LIKE I DID!

Scroll to see replies

Well I got 1 A* (and 8 A's and 2 B's) and 675 UKCAT. So far, Keele and Cardiff said "no" pre-interview, so I'm having a lot of fun right now.

Bristol and Nottingham still yet to reply.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi :smile: I think according to your GCSE profile, Cardiff ( a GCSE heavy) may have not been the best choice. Bristol focus on your personal statement but I've heard you also need a strong GCSE profile and this is why I didn't apply. Keele may have rejected you based on your R&R form. The suggestions I've made are obviously not set in stone but I belive they would've helped me as an applicant and so, I'm just trying to help others. I think St George's might've been a good choice for you but again, you can never be sure. I think when you're a borderline case like myself, receiving interviews is based on your luck. I only received one whereas I know others in the same position who received 3.

Original post by Fractite
Well I got 1 A* (and 8 A's and 2 B's) and 675 UKCAT. So far, Keele and Cardiff said "no" pre-interview, so I'm having a lot of fun right now.

Reply 3
Also, if your applying to Exeter, make sure you have 3A* predicitons and a UKCAT above 670. This was the cut off for 2018. I had the predictions however I was unaware of their high UKCAT requirement when I applied.

I also know that universities such as Leicester and Nottingham have points systems online which allow you to calculate your score. You can then compare to the score needed for an interview and use it to decide whether or not to apply. I knew I didn't meet the previous years requirement for Leicester when I apllied but I wasn't hoping their cut off would drop slightly as it had in previous years. I only did this as I really really wanted to go to Leicester. MAXIMISE YOUR CHANCES! APPLY SMART!
Original post by iramh_
Hi :smile: I think according to your GCSE profile, Cardiff ( a GCSE heavy) may have not been the best choice. Bristol focus on your personal statement but I've heard you also need a strong GCSE profile and this is why I didn't apply. Keele may have rejected you based on your R&R form. The suggestions I've made are obviously not set in stone but I belive they would've helped me as an applicant and so, I'm just trying to help others. I think St George's might've been a good choice for you but again, you can never be sure. I think when you're a borderline case like myself, receiving interviews is based on your luck. I only received one whereas I know others in the same position who received 3.

Yeah I understand. The thing is, the Uni's that you suggested are either in London (too expensive) or were too far away (like Newcastle, as I live in Birmingham), so it was tough choosing the ones that I did in the first place, and I'm already handicapped by a "poor" (by Medicine standards) GCSE profile, though I have a high UKCAT.

If you had applied to the right unis you could have got 4 interviews easily with that UKCAT. I have worse GCSEs than you and am a first year medic who got 4/4 offers.
Original post by iramh_
Hi, I applied to study undergraduate Medicine as a home student for 2018 entry. Unlike many people you will see on TSR, I was not the ideal candidate; I had average GCSES and a below average UKCAT score. Despite what I thought was extensive research, I am now realising that I made many mistakes when selecting my universities. There aren't many people out there who talk about having a weak application and so, I'm hoping that this post helps those of you who may not have the best stats.

SIDE NOTE: At GCSE I obtained 4A*s and 6As. My ukcat score averaged at 623 and the average for 2018 entry was 635. My total score was 2490. The universities I applied to were Exeter, Leicester, Keele and Leeds (BMAT). My BMAT score was 4.9 4.9 4.5 A (slightly above average). I was rejected from Leicester, Leeds and Exeter pre-interview and I have received an interview from Keele.

1. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8 A*s) and an average /above average UKCAT score, APPLY ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!
2. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8A*s) and a below average UKCAT, consider applying to Birmingham and Cardiff as a majority of their application weighting is allocated to GCSEs.
3. If you have a weaker GCSE profile and an ABOVE average UKCAT score (ideally 700+), consider UKCAT heavy universities such as Sheffield, Manchester,KCL and Newcastle.
4.If you have average GCSEs for a medical school applicant (4A* or less) and a weaker UKCAT score, consider the following options:

- Keele University: Keele University does select its candidates based on their GCSEs or UKCAT score. They require applicants to meet their basic GCSE requirements (5As and at least a grade B in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language) and UKCAT cut off (Keele do not consider the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores or individuals who obtain Band 4 in the Situational Judgement test). For 2018 entry, Keele's UKCAT cut off was a total of 2340 which is an average of 585. Once an applicant has met these requirements, these requirements are not considered further. The main way in which Keele University selects its interviewees is through their Roles and Responsibilities form. This form requires applicants to discuss specified moments within any HANDS ON EXPERIENCE they have. Unlike work shadowing, Keele is interested to know what applicants have done themselves, and how this has developed skills that will allow them to be a good doctor. This form is accessible online and so, applicants can plan their answers well ahead of time. The form is sent to applicants through an email after they have applied. Keele also requires applicants to declare information about the experiences mentioned on the form, including a start date, number of hours, role within the organisation and contact details of each of your work experiences. THEY WILL CHECK SO DO NOT LIE!

https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20form%20draft%20for%20web.pdf

The other universities I urge you to consider are universities I did not apply to, however have had friends apply with similar profiles who went on to receive interviews:

Remember that Medicine is Medicine no matter where you end up. If you really want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you. JUST TRY NOT TO MAKE SILLY CHOICES LIKE I DID!

Also, would like to add imperial don't look at gcse's at all. In addition, Southampton bm6 have a low minimum requirement for gcse and then don't consider them. Nottingham A108 scores gcse's and UKCAT so a high UKCAT can save below average gcse
Original post by manlike99
If you had applied to the right unis you could have got 4 interviews easily with that UKCAT. I have worse GCSEs than you and am a first year medic who got 4/4 offers.

Such as?
Such as?

it is really not that hard to find out yourself. manchester, sheffield. liverpool, glasgow, st andrews, plymouth, southampton, st georges

you would have got an interview from all of those. ( maybe not liverpool as they also look a bit at personal statment and thats subjective) but the rest have simple GCSE requirements and then just a normal UKCAT cut off. didnt include newcastle as theres is normally higher than ur score.

barts, exeter, if you have good predicted grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
I have 2.5A*, 6As, 1B and a C at GCSE, 612.5 UKCAT and a 11.8A BMAT and I managed 3/4 interviews along with 2 offers for 2018 entry medicine

Plymouth - interview and offer
Brighton and Sussex- interview and offer
Lancaster - interview (waiting till march)
Leeds - rejected

Just do loads and loads of research about which medical schools you may have a chance at. Trust me it'll pay off a s it did for me. If you get an interview, that's great because it means you're poor grades/scores won't hold you back anymore. It'll be all about the performance at interview whether you had 1A* or 11A* at GCSE
Original post by Omarmanutd
I have 2.5A*, 6As, 1B and a C at GCSE, 612.5 UKCAT and a 11.8A BMAT and I managed 3/4 interviews along with 2 offers for 2018 entry medicine

Leeds - rejected

Just do loads and loads of research about which medical schools you may have a chance at. Trust me it'll pay off a s it did for me. If you get an interview, that's great because it means you're poor grades/scores won't hold you back anymore. It'll be all about the performance at interview whether you had 1A* or 11A* at GCSE

Which one are you going to firm and insure?

i agree with the previous comments. Your rejections are a result of poor choices that don't use your strengths. For example, for exeter say if you asked for a 3A* prediction (or sometimes 2A*A or even ABB if its contextual ) you would've got an interview as they only look at predictions followed by ukcat .
Liverpool would've been a good shot too as they consider A* and A equally.
Cardiff is also automatically known to give rejections if you don't have about 8A*s .
Not sure about the other unis you've applied to. Hopefully bristol will give you an interview, but again it's difficult to consistently assess personal statements . Anyways, if things go bad you can always reapply next year, this gives you a chance to get an even higher ukcat, improve interview performance, and also to be able to apply to different unis. :smile:

Leeds - rejected

I just had a look at the plymouth UKCAT cut off and it has been a lot lower this year than it was historically! You got very lucky there :smile:I got the same UKCAT as you and really wishing I had applied there now! Well done on your offers by the way
Original post by kithu1999
Which one are you going to firm and insure?

Not too sure to be honest, I like Plymouth as a uni and city more but it's PBL (where as i would suit integrated more) and I don't really like Brighton as a city but it's an integrated course. There are also other factors too, for example Plymouth have more flexible timetables but Brighton have a higher student satisfaction rate so i have no idea right now lol
Original post by futuremedic34
I just had a look at the plymouth UKCAT cut off and it has been a lot lower this year than it was historically! You got very lucky there :smile:I got the same UKCAT as you and really wishing I had applied there now! Well done on your offers by the way

Yep lmao, honestly I was expecting an immediate rejection from Plymouth. I wa so shocked when I got the interview invitation. What is even more lucky is that right before I sent off my application, I switched Liverpool to Plymouth😂
Original post by manlike99

Agreed
Yep lmao, honestly I was expecting an immediate rejection from Plymouth. I wa so shocked when I got the interview invitation. What is even more lucky is that right before I sent off my application, I switched Liverpool to Plymouth😂

Wow I honestly cant help feeling jealous 😂 Ill have to keep Plymouth in mind for next year
Original post by futuremedic34
Wow I honestly cant help feeling jealous 😂 Ill have to keep Plymouth in mind for next year

I still need to get AAA though, if I get AAB, then that luck won't be so useful lmao
Reply 18
Original post by iramh_

It's good that you're trying to help people learn from your mistakes, and you're broadly (but not entirely) right with what you say. It's not correct though, to say you can apply to "anywhere" with great gcses and an average ukcat. I can think of at least half a dozen where that wouldn't get you an interview, probably more.

There is already a thread which has been going for several years which gives advice on how to apply to your strengths for Medicine. There are one or two people on there who have an extensive knowledge of the best places to apply based on academic achievement and ukcat, less so for BMAT. The link is https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1043586
Reply 19
I still need to get AAA though, if I get AAB, then that luck won't be so useful lmao

Don't know about Plymouth, but quite a few Med Schools accept a proportion of offer holders who narrowly miss their grades. For example for 2016 entry Liverpool accepted 48 applicants who missed their grades. There are others which have a strict policy of meeting the offer requirement.

Latest

Trending

Trending