The Student Room Group

Significant figures

How many significant figures does 10/000 have?
My answer is 5 but I'm not sure
Reply 2
Original post by huv

If that / should be a . then your answer is five.
Reply 3
Original post by huv

Ill give you an example so you can remember it.
If you have 0.02005012, and the question ask you to give an answer to 3 sf, the answer would be 0.0201. That's because you don't take 0 in to account when measuring sf when the value starts with it. So you begin where the value that isn't 0 is, e.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 .
So for 10,000, its 5 sf, as the value begins with a 1 and is followed by 4 zeros so its 5 sf in total.
Original post by Pigster
If that / should be a . then your answer is five.

... but if its a "," then the answer is 1
Reply 5
Original post by charco
... but if its a "," then the answer is 1

Sadly, not according to OCR A.

A Q on last year's A level paper involved 400 cm3 and the requirement to give the final answer to an appropriate number of sig fig.

The answer had to be give to 3SF, i.e. 400 is 3SF (sorry to labour that point, but people need to appreciate it).
Original post by Pigster
Sadly, not according to OCR A.

A Q on last year's A level paper involved 400 cm3 and the requirement to give the final answer to an appropriate number of sig fig.

The answer had to be give to 3SF, i.e. 400 is 3SF (sorry to labour that point, but people need to appreciate it).

It works if the exact number is 400 (or 400.0 or 400.4 for example), but if there is no context then 10,000 is correct to only 1 significant figure (as you know)
Reply 7
Original post by charco
It works if the exact number is 400 (or 400.0 or 400.4 for example), but if there is no context then 10,000 is correct to only 1 significant figure (as you know)

The Q stated "The chemist compresses the gas mixture to a volume of 400 cm3."

Don't you just love a little bit of ambiguity on an A level exam paper?
Original post by Pigster
The Q stated "The chemist compresses the gas mixture to a volume of 400 cm3."

Don't you just love a little bit of ambiguity on an A level exam paper?

:gasp: :mob: :fuhrer:

they will pay ...

Quick Reply

Latest