The Student Room Group

The term “Anglo American heritage” is now racist in the US

Jeff Sessions used this legal phrase (the American version of Common Law, essentially, and a commonplace) and all hell broke loose. Apparently it is racially tinged.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sessions-draws-fire-anglo-american-heritage-remark-sheriffs/story?id=53038847

Sometimes a society and culture is too stupid to survive.
Funny how it wasn't racist when Obama used the term, also in a legal context.
Original post by astutehirstute
Jeff Sessions used this legal phrase (the American version of Common Law, essentially, and a commonplace) and all hell broke loose. Apparently it is racially tinged.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sessions-draws-fire-anglo-american-heritage-remark-sheriffs/story?id=53038847

Sometimes a society and culture is too stupid to survive.

No problem with African-American heritage, I take it.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cocounited
No problem with African-American heritage, I take it.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white

So you are admitting that whites are racist? :smile:
There was a time when the phrase all hell broke loose was used when one country invaded another or a full scale riot broke out.

Now it is used by the more effete among us to describe a few tweets and a statement by a civil rights group.
Reply 5
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
So you are admitting that whites are racist? :smile:

No more racist than blacks.
Keep it up suckers and you'll have him in office for 8 years.
Will the left ever acknowledged their part in getting trump elected?
Original post by Sulfolobus
There was a time when the phrase all hell broke loose was used when one country invaded another or a full scale riot broke out.

Now it is used by the more effete among us to describe a few tweets and a statement by a civil rights group.

The medium is not material, it is who sends the message, and what that message contains. Trump’s tweets cause a furore because of his position, and their political sensitivity to the liberal elite.

This tweet came from the senior Senator for Hawaii.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianschatz/status/963155714825969664

And the message is, be ashamed of your English cultural heritage because it is racist.

A society too stupid to survive.
No it isn't

Stop trying to make it seem like the law in the US is against white Americans because it isn't.
However I understand why the term may cause criticism.
Anglo-Americans used to be white settlers.
You are accepting the fact that your ancestors killed native Americans, black people, Chinese homesteaders or buffalo (essentially killing Indians if they didn't want to kill a person).

I wouldn't be proud of Anglo-American heritage.
I certainly wouldn't accept anything my ancestors may have left in their will for me if I was an Anglo-American (e.g the founding families of Virginia benefit from the racism their ancestors had and currently live in mansions built by black slaves and land which was unlawfully taken from PI as it broke the FLT of 1851)
Original post by erratic_deus
No it isn't

Stop trying to make it seem like the law in the US is against white Americans because it isn't.

I don’t think you understand what is being discussed here.

No-one is saying that the law is against white Americans, the point at contention is whether or not it is permissible to describe the US legal system, which follows the English Common Law tradition ( as opposed, say, to the French Napoeonic code) as “Anglo American.

Or whether it is a racist dog whistle so permissible to use.

As I always say, if you can hear the whistle, you’re the dog...
There is no evidence to support the idea that your genes affect your personality, categorizing people by ethnicity is pointless and continuation of it indirectly bolsters pseudo-scientific racist thinking.
Original post by erratic_deus
However I understand why the term may cause criticism.
Anglo-Americans used to be white settlers.
You are accepting the fact that your ancestors killed native Americans, black people, Chinese homesteaders or buffalo (essentially killing Indians if they didn't want to kill a person).

I wouldn't be proud of Anglo-American heritage.
I certainly wouldn't accept anything my ancestors may have left in their will for me if I was an Anglo-American (e.g the founding families of Virginia benefit from the racism their ancestors had and currently live in mansions built by black slaves and land which was unlawfully taken from PI as it broke the FLT of 1851)

Agree with the other guy. The issue at hand is the description of the US legal system as being based in the English Common Law.

This is the direct context of the subject and exactly the same language was used by Obama in public speeches when referring to legal issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending