The Student Room Group

Differential Equation Phase Plane Portrait.

So given a non homogenous system of ode:

x'=-x+6y -2
y'=-x+4y

sketch the phase portrait.

So I first calculated the eigen values/vectors of the matrix
|-1 6|
|-1 4|
and find for lambda=2, eigen vector = (2,1)
lambda=1, eigen vector = (3,1)

and particular solution = (4,1)

How do I sketch the phase portrait?
phase portrait.png
Original post by specimenz
So given a non homogenous system of ode:

x'=-x+6y -2
y'=-x+4y

sketch the phase portrait.

So I first calculated the eigen values/vectors of the matrix
|-1 6|
|-1 4|
and find for lambda=2, eigen vector = (2,1)
lambda=1, eigen vector = (3,1)

and particular solution = (4,1)

How do I sketch the phase portrait?

Well your particular solution is your critical point, first of all.

Then note that you have (xy)=(41)+C1(31)et+C2(21)e2t\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} + C_1 \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} e^{t} + C_2 \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} e^{2t} for some constants C1,C2C_1,C_2

Now, as tt \rightarrow -\infty we have (x,y)(4,1)(x,y) \rightarrow (4,1) which means that every arrow will be coming from the critical point (so it's unstable), and furthermore, et>>e2te^t >> e^{2t} as tt \rightarrow - \infty therefore every vector will come out parallel to the eigenvector (3,1)(3,1) (your λ=1\lambda = 1).

Now consider tt \rightarrow \infty, which means that (x,y)(,)(x,y) \rightarrow (\infty, \infty) and more specifically, they will both tend to infinity along the vector (2,1)(2,1) because at +ve infinity e2t>>ete^{2t} >> e^{t} so that term takes control.

The rest is just sketching accordingly to this.

Small disclaimer: As I'm learning this topic at the moment, I haven't come across the case yet where xx' or yy' has a constant in its expression, but this is the analysis I'd expect
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest