The Student Room Group

Does this engaa waves question even make sense??

https://postimg.cc/vcp0V9S4

after equating 180 out of phase to pi,

solving pi = (2pix6)/lambda

gives lambda = 12 for wavelength, so freq = 336/12 = 28.

but I dont get why the answer is instead D) = 56, one solution online says to ignore 180 phase diff and to pretend they are in phase as its equivalent, but it gives a different answer??...

and that the path difference = 6 = 1 wavelength, pi phase difference is normally associated with 1/2 a wavelength???

quite confused.
Reply 1
Original post by MonoAno555
https://postimg.cc/vcp0V9S4

after equating 180 out of phase to pi,

solving pi = (2pix6)/lambda

gives lambda = 12 for wavelength, so freq = 336/12 = 28.

but I dont get why the answer is instead D) = 56, one solution online says to ignore 180 phase diff and to pretend they are in phase as its equivalent, but it gives a different answer??...

and that the path difference = 6 = 1 wavelength, pi phase difference is normally associated with 1/2 a wavelength???

quite confused.

If the sound is a minimum, they arrive out of phase. So wavelength is 6 (one wavelength apart of 18 and 24) and frequency 336/6 = 56.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
one of the speakers being 180 degrees out of phase flips the positions of maxima and minima compared to what you'd get if they were in phase.

so I guess the 'helpful' answer is telling you to pretend the sources are in phase and then find the lowest frequency that'd give you a maxima at the given position...

or another way of looking at it is the microphone is a whole number of wavelengths distant from each speaker and the 180 degree phase shift of the sources is causing the destructive interference that gives the minima.

gcd (18, 24) = 6 so lambda is 6m

336/6= 56Hz
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
If the sound is a minimum, they arrive out of phase. So wavelength is 6 (one wavelength apart of 18 and 24) and frequency 336/6 = 56.

I see, but I am confused on when path difference is/isnt equal to 1 wavelength in general and does this only apply to waves that are out of phase?
Reply 4
I see, but I am confused on when path difference is/isnt equal to 1 wavelength in general and does this only apply to waves that are out of phase?

Just take a simple example (sketch the waves). If one arrived 1/2 wave length different (so 3m difference with 6m wave length), theyd be in phase so a maximum. The distances need to a wavelength or 2 wavelengths or 3 ...) apart to preserve the out of phase property they have at the start.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Just take a simple example (sketch the waves). If one arrived 1/2 wave length different (so 3m difference with 6m wave length), theyd be in phase so a maximum. The distances need to a wavelength or 2 wavelengths or 3 ...) apart to preserve the out of phase property they have at the start.

https://postimg.cc/069TwH8N

Is this correct?
Reply 6

Sort of, but Id have sketched the 24 and 18 distances so what would happen if the second distance was 21 with lambda = 6 ... Obviously if the numbers were very large you could simplify them down as appropriate but 3 or 4 wavelengths here is fairly manageable.
Remenber the equation:
delt X=n(delt fi)/(2pi)*lambda
And you can solve nearly 90% of questions about wave in the ENGAA

Quick Reply

Latest