The Student Room Group

Simple maths problem has me stumped..

A rather simple problem has left me stumped (maybe I just need to go back to bed lol)

Calculate how many Lorries would be needed per day so there is no lorry downtime (a.k.a one is always being loaded) and how many loads would be needed (in total) to remove all of the excavated material.

1350.33 of excavated material is to be taken off-site to a tip. Assume that each lorry has a capacity of 12m³, takes 20 minutes to load and has an overall travel time (to and from the tip) of 70 minutes. Allow a bulking factor of 35% for the excavated material.

**edit**

I should add from previous questions, we know there are 7.5 hours in the working day.

Obviously the total of material with the bulk is 1822.94m³, leading to a total of 152 lorries being required.

I just can't seem to get my head around the "how many per day" aspect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by b4rn5ey1
A rather simple problem has left me stumped (maybe I just need to go back to bed lol)

Calculate how many Lorries would be needed per day so there is no lorry downtime (a.k.a one is always being loaded) and how many loads would be needed (in total) to remove all of the excavated material.

1350.33 of excavated material is to be taken off-site to a tip. Assume that each lorry has a capacity of 12m³, takes 20 minutes to load and has an overall travel time (to and from the tip) of 70 minutes. Allow a bulking factor of 35% for the excavated material.

Obviously the total of material with the bulk is 1822.94m³, leading to a total of 152 lorries being required.

I just can't seem to get my head around the "how many per day" aspect.

Can you post what you've tried?
it takes 20 mins to load, 70 mins travel, and 1440 mins in a day (24hrs×60mins) could this be what you're missing to complete the question?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Can you post what you've tried?

Only solution I see is from a 7.5 hours working day. Max of 5 trips per lorry (7.5/1.5), total of 4.5 lorries per 90 mins for continuous loading. Giving 22.5 per day. So 23.
can more than one lorry be loaded at the same time ?
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
can more than one lorry be loaded at the same time ?

I don't believe so.
Original post by b4rn5ey1
I don't believe so.

When the lorries arrive only one can be loaded so the others have to wait ... assuming they are not at the tip to start with.

Quick Reply

Latest