The Student Room Group

Advice on writing a personal statement for psychology

Hi, does anyone have any personal statement advice? I’m applying for psychology this year and really want to get offers (obviously lol) but I’m a bit stumped on what things to write.
hiya i didnt apply for psychology (im in y13), but in my personal statement i did include:

a nice catchy introduction (how your love for the subject began)

how my subjects related to the degree i want to study

what books i read (you dont have to read any)

how the degree will help me with my future career prospects

what roles i had in the school

hope this helps in some way :smile:!
Original post by frogsforever
Hi, does anyone have any personal statement advice? I’m applying for psychology this year and really want to get offers (obviously lol) but I’m a bit stumped on what things to write.

Hey @frogsforever 🙂 Don't worry that you're feeling stumped at first. It can be really hard to get started with the personal statement.

Firstly I'd say @emm4nuella has given you some fab advice! & If you're really stuck then try to start with the statement "I want to study Psychology because...." and you can always make it a bit catchier in one of your later edits. Get the bare bones down of what you want to say - you should cover areas such as why you want to study Psychology, what interests do you have within the subject area, and what you've done/are doing to help you prepare for University. Try to show off some of your key skills - communication, team working, problem solving for example.

A good starting point is working off a blank sheet of paper and writing down everything in a bit of a jumble. Maybe a mind map to start with could work nicely. Once you know all the stuff you want to talk about then you can start to make some sense of it and form it in to nice paragraphs.

There's some good tips in this thread too so have a wee read through: Personal Statement Guidance Hub 2024 Entry - The Student Room 🙏

Good luck!
Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
hiya i didnt apply for psychology (im in y13), but in my personal statement i did include:

a nice catchy introduction (how your love for the subject began)

how my subjects related to the degree i want to study

what books i read (you dont have to read any)

how the degree will help me with my future career prospects

what roles i had in the school

hope this helps in some way :smile:!

Thanks for the help! I've written mine similarly and hoping all goes well 🙂 Good luck with applying!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending