The Student Room Group

I'm doing a psychology degree but want to swap to Palaeontology.

I'm a second year psychology student and have realised I've made a mistake and want to pursue Palaeontology as a career. Is there any way for me to see out my current degree and get into Palaeontology after it has finished without having to do another undergraduate degree?
Original post by Matthaeum_
I'm a second year psychology student and have realised I've made a mistake and want to pursue Palaeontology as a career. Is there any way for me to see out my current degree and get into Palaeontology after it has finished without having to do another undergraduate degree?

Tricky.

Have a look at these masters and the entrance requirements.

If you had made this decision last year then you could have dumped your degree and restarted.

How would you finance another undergrad degree?

https://www.palass.org/careers/masters-courses
Has masters courses, but I doubt a Psychology degree will get you on pne. If you are in the UK and leave due to heath reasons then you have a chance of reclaiming the funding by a compelling personal reasons claim.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Tricky.

Have a look at these masters and the entrance requirements.

If you had made this decision last year then you could have dumped your degree and restarted.

How would you finance another undergrad degree?

https://www.palass.org/careers/masters-courses
Has masters courses, but I doubt a Psychology degree will get you on pne. If you are in the UK and leave due to heath reasons then you have a chance of reclaiming the funding by a compelling personal reasons claim.

I have looked over these previously and have been doing some research. I feel like it could be possible for me to undertake an undergraduate degree from the Open University in Natural Sciences and transfer 240 credits from my psychology degree over to the Open University, leaving me with only one yer of study before I could use the Natural Sciences degree to apply for a masters in Palaeontology. What do you think?
Original post by Matthaeum_
I have looked over these previously and have been doing some research. I feel like it could be possible for me to undertake an undergraduate degree from the Open University in Natural Sciences and transfer 240 credits from my psychology degree over to the Open University, leaving me with only one yer of study before I could use the Natural Sciences degree to apply for a masters in Palaeontology. What do you think?

Possibly if OU will accept you that way.
Talk to the unis with the MA and see what they say.
To me that doesnt look like a Natural sciences degree.
Might be better to start in year 2 of OU and do 240 credits, which will be easier to put forward for the MA as its more like a major / minor degree and tbf you could do with that extra knowledge.

Ironic really have recently responded to someone bailing on an NS degree as not for them.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Possibly if OU will accept you that way.
Talk to the unis with the MA and see what they say.
To me that doesnt look like a Natural sciences degree.
Might be better to start in year 2 of OU and do 240 credits, which will be easier to put forward for the MA as its more like a major / minor degree and tbf you could do with that extra knowledge.

Ironic really have recently responded to someone bailing on an NS degree as not for them.

I will get into contact with the different MA providers and see where my options are. I am trying to avoid studying for a full 3 more years for an undergraduate degree but I am not completely opposed to it. Thank you for your help.

Perhaps I can fill the hole in the field that the person you responded to left!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending