The Student Room Group

Courses at university

Hey, so I am in year 12 right now but I have no idea what course I want to do at university as I keep changing my mind. I was wondering what general courses are there that are good to take at university?

I have to go to university as I don't really have any other links or next step in my life, but I don't know a good subject to pick that can be useful and good for employers. Right now I am doing A-level Law, Politics and Psychology but am not really keen on doing these, especially Psych. Any help welcome :smile:
Original post by please help me x
Hey, so I am in year 12 right now but I have no idea what course I want to do at university as I keep changing my mind. I was wondering what general courses are there that are good to take at university?

I have to go to university as I don't really have any other links or next step in my life, but I don't know a good subject to pick that can be useful and good for employers. Right now I am doing A-level Law, Politics and Psychology but am not really keen on doing these, especially Psych. Any help welcome :smile:

There isnt an easy answer to this. Any course is practically good at university provided that ur passionate about it or confident about it.
https://www.ucas.com/careers-quiz
Try this quiz by ucas to see if any careers appeal to you.

Many people in my school are trying to pursue medicine,Business Administration/Management, Computer Science/Information Technology, Mathematics, Media Production. Of course thats not everyone but its still plenty. Idk if this helps as this is only from one school and wont be accurate.

If your unsure about university and you have no clue what to do, you do have to just eliminate courses one by one. Unfortunately the process may take some time. Identify your interests, passions, and strengths. Consider the subjects you enjoy and excel in. Look into the course content and structure for each potential option. This will help you understand what you'll be studying and if it aligns with your interests. Research potential career paths associated with each course. Consider the job market demand for graduates in those fields. Combining law, politics, and psychology can offer a well-rounded understanding of societal structures, human behavior, and the legal system so you can start with courses to do with Political Sciences, Criminal Law, International Relations.

I wouldn't recommend doing a course just because many people many say that its good. Sure, if you research about it and it seems like ur thing, go for it but you're the one going to be doing it for 3/4 years(and going to be in so much debt) so you need to make the decision. Better to be extra cautious and research everything than regretting or not enjoying what your doing.

If you disagree with everything I just said, you could just research up the most popular course online.

Websites like this exist:
https://www.boosteducationservice.co.uk/best-courses-to-study-in-the-uk/
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/top-ten-most-popular-courses-in-uk

I hope this somehow helps, idk when ur deadline is but im sure you have plenty of time so don't panic. :smile:

Hi,

With those subjects you could pursue subjects in the social sciences such as Criminology, International Relations, Sociology etc. You could also study Business. Or you study something in the humanities as you are studying essay-based subjects such as Philosophy, English, Archaeology etc. You can also study Environmental Science or Geography (some of these degrees require a science subject - many count psychology as a science subject so you would fit the entry requirements). I would recommend looking at the course lists of the University pages to see what is available as well as the entry requirements. In the course lists you can look into the modules to see you would be interested as well as maybe reading around subjects you may think you might be interested. I would also recommend going to the open days and having a look at the courses on offer to get an idea of what one you might like to study.

Hope this helps,

Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton

Employers don't care about your degree subject in most situations - unless you're applying to a job requiring a specific degree (e.g. engineering) or that requires a particular skillset (e.g.a numerate degree). The vast majority of grad schemes don't care what you study.

You could do Viking and Old Norse Studies, philosophy, Egyptology, palaeontology, Sanskrit, anthropology, chemical physics, whatever. It'd be the same for those grad schemes which don't require any specific degree (which is most of them).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending