The Student Room Group

a levels to do with earth sciences

I've narrowed down my a levels- doing geology, environmental science and also an english academy. I'm just trying to decide whether I should take chemistry or biology to go with those two, as I've been advised against taking 4.
For context my grades are all fine, 7,8,9s so I'd be capable of doing the subjects.
Advice please I'm panicking
If you're planning to continue to an earth sciences degree then just doing a breadth of basic sciences and maths is probably the most suitable preparation. I gather of the basic sciences chemistry is particularly useful.

Do bear in mind ad with all science degrees, earth sciences and geology are necessarily mathematical at degree level and you really do need to be able to cope with the A-level Maths material - if not required for admission you will certainly cover this in the first year of the degree. However it is much better to do this as an A-level where you have far more contact hours and individual support from a teacher rather than limited contact hours on a lecture hall of 200 students where you will have limited opportunity to have detailed individual support.

Chemistry, maths, and something else (physics, biology, geology, geography, etc would all be relevant in various ways) might be a particularly useful background to prepare for that.
Original post by livsimmo
I've narrowed down my a levels- doing geology, environmental science and also an english academy. I'm just trying to decide whether I should take chemistry or biology to go with those two, as I've been advised against taking 4.
For context my grades are all fine, 7,8,9s so I'd be capable of doing the subjects.

Hi there

Whilst taking 3 subjects is likely to get you into a good University, or entering a good career, I understand that a 4th subject may enhance your applications. However, this is dependent on achieving good grades in your A levels.

I think since you have strong GCSE grades, you could always choose to take 4 subjects. You always have the option to drop out of your weakest/ least favourite subject after giving it a go.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
If you want to study a 4th A'level subject, then I would choose chemistry. It's not usually necessary though and you would have to consider whether the extra time spent studying another subject will affect your other subject grades, or AAA is better than BBBB.
Original post by livsimmo

Geology, Environmental Science and Chemistry, drop the English if/when the workload ramps up too high.
Depends if you’re thinking you might be interested in palaeontology or not. If so then biology would be a real help. If you’re not overly fussed about that aspect then chemistry would be more useful for igneous/metamorphic petrology, geochem and huge swathes of oceanography. Oh and petroleum and mining geology too (although physics is just as useful too)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest