The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

BA Photography - Falmouth University

I was recently given a date for an interview date and time however there was no way that I could get to the interview and do the 6 hour travel on that date, I requested a new date and had the same issue again so I ended up requesting an online interview. I submitted my online portfolio and skype username / contact number four days ago and haven't heard anything back yet. Should I be worried? :/ I don't want to constantly be emailing them with problems. This is my first choice.
Reply 1
Hi there, after just coming out of a video interview today (same as you with the 6-7 hour travel time) I can confirm that it took around a week for the university to schedule a new interview for me which was far later.

If you're having any worries make sure to contact the admissions team on
+44 (0) 1326 255 851

Hope I was able to help, and I hope that you get in to the university, it's my first choice too! (Taking a degree in Graphic Design)
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by ToMorOaY
Hi there, after just coming out of a video interview today (same as you with the 6-7 hour travel time) I can confirm that it took around a week for the university to schedule a new interview for me which was far later.

If you're having any worries make sure to contact the admissions team on
+44 (0) 1326 255 851

Hope I was able to help, and I hope that you get in to the university, it's my first choice too! (Taking a degree in Graphic Design)

Hey! I finally heard back and my online interview is on the 7th of March. I’m a little worried about being on Skype tbh but hopefully it will all go fine. I hope that your interview went well and that you get an offer! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hrose123
Hey! I finally heard back and my online interview is on the 7th of March. I’m a little worried about being on Skype tbh but hopefully it will all go fine. I hope that your interview went well and that you get an offer! :smile:

That's awesome, best of luck to you!
I got an unconditional place and have set it as my firm choice!
Original post by ToMorOaY
That's awesome, best of luck to you!
I got an unconditional place and have set it as my firm choice!

Congratulations! I don’t think I’ll get an unconditional offer as I haven’t passed GCSE maths and it’s getting harder this year buuut I’m hoping I at least get conditional.
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations! I don’t think I’ll get an unconditional offer as I haven’t passed GCSE maths and it’s getting harder this year buuut I’m hoping I at least get conditional.

Art's Universities are a lot more forgiving with admissions and qualifications then academical Uni's are. If you can showcase your creativity and that your fail at Maths GCSE wont affect your studies, they will look past it. My UCAS points were way below their minimum requirements however was offered an unconditional last week. Don't sweat it and good luck!
Original post by JordanDaniel
Art's Universities are a lot more forgiving with admissions and qualifications then academical Uni's are. If you can showcase your creativity and that your fail at Maths GCSE wont affect your studies, they will look past it. My UCAS points were way below their minimum requirements however was offered an unconditional last week. Don't sweat it and good luck!

Hi! Turns out you don’t actually need Maths GCSE for Falmouth Uni, only English which I did well in. I was wondering if you had any tips for the interview? My interview is tomorrow and it’s online so I’m worried that it’s going to put me at a disadvantage.

What kids of questions did they ask you? Thank you!
Hi! Turns out you don’t actually need Maths GCSE for Falmouth Uni, only English which I did well in. I was wondering if you had any tips for the interview? My interview is tomorrow and it’s online so I’m worried that it’s going to put me at a disadvantage.

What kids of questions did they ask you? Thank you!

Hey,

The format of the interview is that there are 2 interviewers. You give your portfolio and sketchbook in, and sit outside for 5-10 mins whilst they look through your work. You are invited back in and they will then start the interview. My Q&A lasted for about 10 minutes and I found out the decision in 4 days.

I would highly recommend you to be comfortable in answering the following in detail and justify why

Inspirations
What you want to end up doing
Narratives behind your work
How you accomplished your work
Why Falmouth? (Statistics are good to know!)
Why University?
Know your portfolio in and out - talk to yourself as if you're in an interview and go through each photo explaining technicality, narrative and creative process to produce it. Create a script if you must!
Be yourself. They're good at spotting lies and over dramatised explanations of things.

Most of all, be confident! Don't be modest, but don't be self absorbed. You want to show that you're confident in yourself and your abilities, but show that you know that there is a lot of room for improvement and that University will help you in this.

If you're struggling on answering some of them, drop me a message!

I'm an entirely self taught photographer with no A-Level teaching, and so my questions will be different than those studying at A-Level. However, I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Original post by JordanDaniel
Hey,

The format of the interview is that there are 2 interviewers. You give your portfolio and sketchbook in, and sit outside for 5-10 mins whilst they look through your work. You are invited back in and they will then start the interview. My Q&A lasted for about 10 minutes and I found out the decision in 4 days.

I would highly recommend you to be comfortable in answering the following in detail and justify why

Inspirations
What you want to end up doing
Narratives behind your work
How you accomplished your work
Why Falmouth? (Statistics are good to know!)
Why University?
Know your portfolio in and out - talk to yourself as if you're in an interview and go through each photo explaining technicality, narrative and creative process to produce it. Create a script if you must!
Be yourself. They're good at spotting lies and over dramatised explanations of things.

Most of all, be confident! Don't be modest, but don't be self absorbed. You want to show that you're confident in yourself and your abilities, but show that you know that there is a lot of room for improvement and that University will help you in this.

If you're struggling on answering some of them, drop me a message!

I'm an entirely self taught photographer with no A-Level teaching, and so my questions will be different than those studying at A-Level. However, I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Hi! I had my online interview over Skype today a few hours ago and I’m really hoping it went well. It only lasted 15 minutes but that’s standard I guess?

Just gotta wait and see now which is the worst part. Thank you for all your help!
Reply 9
Hi! I had my online interview over Skype today a few hours ago and I’m really hoping it went well. It only lasted 15 minutes but that’s standard I guess?

Just gotta wait and see now which is the worst part. Thank you for all your help!

I'm sure you nailed it!
The average time for interview is 15 minutes as they usually have multiple students to interview on the same day and should be able to judge your suitability within that time, of course it can vary depending on factors such as your own questions at the end and a portfolio review (My Interview ended up lasting 40 minutes! Although 15 of those were from my own in-depth questions :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest