The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Sharing a room

Unfortunately this year my accommodation application got messed up and when I called they also said to put the shared room and then hope to be moved into my own when I get there, the only problem is i have a chronic illness so sharing a room wouldn’t really be possible :/ did you end up going then getting moved into your own room relatively quick or something else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! ik it’s been while since you’ve posted this so you may not even see this but I was just wondering what happened? Unfortunately this year my accommodation application got messed up and when I called they also said to put the shared room and then hope to be moved into my own when I get there, the only problem is i have a chronic illness so sharing a room wouldn’t really be possible :/ did you end up going then getting moved into your own room relatively quick or something else?

Hey, could you call up the accommodation team and explain to them about your chronic illness? Seems unfair if they couldn't help you out.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Reply 2
Hi! ik it’s been while since you’ve posted this so you may not even see this but I was just wondering what happened? Unfortunately this year my accommodation application got messed up and when I called they also said to put the shared room and then hope to be moved into my own when I get there, the only problem is i have a chronic illness so sharing a room wouldn’t really be possible :/ did you end up going then getting moved into your own room relatively quick or something else?

You need to contact the accommodation & accessibility teams and make sure they are aware of your condition, even if all of the single bedrooms are taken they can put you in a shared bedroom on your own for the same price as a single bedroom. (I know this because it was offered to me)

Places in single rooms tend to free up after a month or so when people drop out of uni.
Reply 3

Same person as the last one, just reread your post, when you say they said to put down the shared room too do you just mean that you had to put it down on your accommodation application? Everyone has to put down all the options because falmouth just has you order them rather than pick a selection. Just because you’ve had to put down the shared room doesn’t mean you will receive it, especially not if the university is aware of your illness. It’s likely that you’ll be assessed outside of the ballot (if they are aware) and they will look at all of the information you’ve given them (like doctors notes) and give you the best room for you based on that :smile:

It's been a year since they posted; you may be better off starting a new post. Anyway, I've been to Falmouth University; their support for disabled students sucked. So contact the accommodation people and make sure you're (politely) absolutely clear with them about the need for a single room because of your illness. I left Falmouth Uni years ago and it's honestly ridiculous that they're continuing to do shared rooms, like some freaky attempt at being and American Uni by removing privacy. They've had years - they could have at least put a moveable partition up (there are loads including ones that function as ordinary walls) between the main door and the bedroom (thereby shrinking the space slightly and creating a corridor) and between two beds (after replacing bunk beds with standard beds), with a door for each side (leading from the corridor "wall"). But no, they don't want to spend the money. They'll gladly take extortionate amounts for rent though. Greedy muppets.

Anyway, call them up and make things clear to them.
Reply 5
Original post by HonestStudent
It's been a year since they posted; you may be better off starting a new post. Anyway, I've been to Falmouth University; their support for disabled students sucked. So contact the accommodation people and make sure you're (politely) absolutely clear with them about the need for a single room because of your illness. I left Falmouth Uni years ago and it's honestly ridiculous that they're continuing to do shared rooms, like some freaky attempt at being and American Uni by removing privacy. They've had years - they could have at least put a moveable partition up (there are loads including ones that function as ordinary walls) between the main door and the bedroom (thereby shrinking the space slightly and creating a corridor) and between two beds (after replacing bunk beds with standard beds), with a door for each side (leading from the corridor "wall"). But no, they don't want to spend the money. They'll gladly take extortionate amounts for rent though. Greedy muppets.

It must have been a while since you were at uni because Falmouth shared rooms don’t have bunk beds anymore and haven’t for a while, they now have two single beds which can fold up in the day to give each student their own desk too.

Falmouths accessibility team have also been really good for me this year as a student joining their uni with mental health issues, they’ve been really quick at responding to any questions I have and implementing things that would help me to my learning plan.
It must have been a while since you were at uni because Falmouth shared rooms don’t have bunk beds anymore and haven’t for a while, they now have two single beds which can fold up in the day to give each student their own desk too.

Falmouths accessibility team have also been really good for me this year as a student joining their uni with mental health issues, they’ve been really quick at responding to any questions I have and implementing things that would help me to my learning plan.

It has been a while but yep, that means they could easily divide the rooms. Nice that you're the exception that proves the rule.
Reply 7
hiya! (replying to both your posts in this one :smile:) unfortunately the shared room is all i've got! I've been on the phone to them all week (accomodation team, acessibility team etc) and they've all just said the same thing to me which was essentially "sucks to be you maybe a room will free up once you've moved in" like when I called them and explained clearly I wouldn't be able to move in if I have to share because of my illness and how I live too far away to come to move in day to "see what happens" I was genuinely told "that's just how the cookie crumbles" lmao. I haven't even been offered a shared room for myself? I think I'm going to email my acessibility advisor and see if thats an option for me at all. Thanks for the suggestion!! already much more helpful then what i've had so far :smile:
Same person as the last one, just reread your post, when you say they said to put down the shared room too do you just mean that you had to put it down on your accommodation application? Everyone has to put down all the options because falmouth just has you order them rather than pick a selection. Just because you’ve had to put down the shared room doesn’t mean you will receive it, especially not if the university is aware of your illness. It’s likely that you’ll be assessed outside of the ballot (if they are aware) and they will look at all of the information you’ve given them (like doctors notes) and give you the best room for you based on that :smile:
Reply 8
hi, true didn't think of that in my panic. Yeah unfortunately I seem to be having a pretty horrid time with it too (sorry to hear you did as well). Just gonna copy paste from my other reply but essentially I've been on the phone to them all week (accomodation team, acessibility team etc) and they've all just said the same thing to me which was essentially "sucks to be you maybe a room will free up once you've moved in" like when I called them and explained clearly I wouldn't be able to move in if I have to share because of my illness and how I live too far away to come to move in day to "see what happens" I was genuinely told "that's just how the cookie crumbles" lmao. Someone suggested potentially getting a shared room to myself until something opens up? I'm going to email again and ask about that since it wasn't offered, bet they're TIRED of my name in their inboxes at this point.
Original post by HonestStudent

Reply 9
hiya! (replying to both your posts in this one :smile:) unfortunately the shared room is all i've got! I've been on the phone to them all week (accomodation team, acessibility team etc) and they've all just said the same thing to me which was essentially "sucks to be you maybe a room will free up once you've moved in" like when I called them and explained clearly I wouldn't be able to move in if I have to share because of my illness and how I live too far away to come to move in day to "see what happens" I was genuinely told "that's just how the cookie crumbles" lmao. I haven't even been offered a shared room for myself? I think I'm going to email my acessibility advisor and see if thats an option for me at all. Thanks for the suggestion!! already much more helpful then what i've had so far :smile:

I’m really upset to hear that they’ve treated you like that on the phone. I would definitely ask your accessibility advisor about your options and if they can help, it also might be worth getting in touch with your doctor and seeing if they can write you a note specifically for this situation, outlining that you under no circumstances can share a room with someone (and the reasons why) and that you will need to be put in a shared room on your own if there are no single rooms available.
Don’t let them tell you that they can’t put you in a shared bedroom on your own because they absolutely can and have offered it to me and multiple other people I know in the past.
I wish I could do more to help you as you really don’t deserve to be treated the way you have been :frown:

I definitely think if you were able to get the doctors note outlining exactly why you can’t share they wouldn’t be able to ignore it and would have to put you on your own.
Reply 10
I’m really upset to hear that they’ve treated you like that on the phone. I would definitely ask your accessibility advisor about your options and if they can help, it also might be worth getting in touch with your doctor and seeing if they can write you a note specifically for this situation, outlining that you under no circumstances can share a room with someone (and the reasons why) and that you will need to be put in a shared room on your own if there are no single rooms available.
Don’t let them tell you that they can’t put you in a shared bedroom on your own because they absolutely can and have offered it to me and multiple other people I know in the past.
I wish I could do more to help you as you really don’t deserve to be treated the way you have been :frown:

I definitely think if you were able to get the doctors note outlining exactly why you can’t share they wouldn’t be able to ignore it and would have to put you on your own.

Thanks mate, it’s honestly surprised me so much how unaccommodating/ unwelcoming they’ve been. I’ve already provided them with proof of diagnosis and a detailed report of how it effects my day to day life but I’ve also sent a letter to my GP asking for another more ‘detailed’ one I can forward to them to see if it helps with anything. I’m definitely gonna continue to be insistent it would be unfair and impossible for me to share a room (especially now I’m aware they do have the choice to offer me my own room through a shared room) & I sent an email to my advisor to ask about that this morning. It’s just they’ve just made me feel like I’m very much so the problem here, as if I have a choice in what chronic illness I’m gonna have to live with for the rest of my life lol.

Again thanks for your advice & kindness it’s been really helpful :smile:
Thanks mate, it’s honestly surprised me so much how unaccommodating/ unwelcoming they’ve been. I’ve already provided them with proof of diagnosis and a detailed report of how it effects my day to day life but I’ve also sent a letter to my GP asking for another more ‘detailed’ one I can forward to them to see if it helps with anything. I’m definitely gonna continue to be insistent it would be unfair and impossible for me to share a room (especially now I’m aware they do have the choice to offer me my own room through a shared room) & I sent an email to my advisor to ask about that this morning. It’s just they’ve just made me feel like I’m very much so the problem here, as if I have a choice in what chronic illness I’m gonna have to live with for the rest of my life lol.

hi just wondering if you've gotten anywhere with this. I have a similar situation and I applied fore accomodation during the ballot period and have recently had quite bad anxiety over alot of things including sharing etc and as a result have a doctors note etc. however when we contacted accomodation/accesibility they said there wasnt much they could do as the deadline had passed so were at a bit of a loss and basically looked like there would be no budge in it.

also curious when did you find out about your accomodation, i heard were not ment to hear til 12th july but so many have already been given theres?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Rosiemae885
hi just wondering if you've gotten anywhere with this. I have a similar situation and I applied fore accomodation during the ballot period and have recently had quite bad anxiety over alot of things including sharing etc and as a result have a doctors note etc. however when we contacted accomodation/accesibility they said there wasnt much they could do as the deadline had passed so were at a bit of a loss and basically looked like there would be no budge in it.

also curious when did you find out about your accomodation, i heard were not ment to hear til 12th july but so many have already been given theres?

Hi Rosie I know you weren’t replying to me but I wanted to try and give you some advice based on what I know :smile:

I deferred last year after going through clearing but before I deferred I was able to get the offer of a shared bedroom with no other occupant (so just me in the shared bedroom) because of anxiety and other mental health reasons. This was offered to me around 4 days before the move in date so it definitely shouldn’t be too late for you to ask for this.
I know you mentioned that you went and got a doctors note, does it specifically mention that you won’t be able to share a room? If it doesn’t then it might be worth asking your doctor if they can write an additional note to Falmouths accommodation and accessibility team detailing that so it’s made very clear to them.

It also might be that you need to wait until you receive your initial accommodation offer and see if it is or isn’t a shared room and then appeal it afterwards with the evidence from your doctor. This will also allow the accommodation & accessibility team to see if there’s anyone who received a single bedroom but rejected their offer therefore freeing up a space.

Furthermore if you do have anxiety I recommend looking into getting a disabled students allowance to help you manage at university :smile:

Also, from what I know some people have found out about their accommodation already but most people haven’t, when you do you will receive an email from the university stating that they have made you an offer of accommodation with details on how to accept it.
I’m guessing that the people who have already found out have been told early because they weren’t put through the ballot and were assessed individually due to their medical needs.
Everyone else I believe finds out next week but I might be wrong :smile:
(Just because you haven’t found out yet doesn’t mean that you will definitely be given a shared bedroom.)

I hope I’ve answered all your questions adequately!
Hi Rosie I know you weren’t replying to me but I wanted to try and give you some advice based on what I know :smile:

I deferred last year after going through clearing but before I deferred I was able to get the offer of a shared bedroom with no other occupant (so just me in the shared bedroom) because of anxiety and other mental health reasons. This was offered to me around 4 days before the move in date so it definitely shouldn’t be too late for you to ask for this.
I know you mentioned that you went and got a doctors note, does it specifically mention that you won’t be able to share a room? If it doesn’t then it might be worth asking your doctor if they can write an additional note to Falmouths accommodation and accessibility team detailing that so it’s made very clear to them.

It also might be that you need to wait until you receive your initial accommodation offer and see if it is or isn’t a shared room and then appeal it afterwards with the evidence from your doctor. This will also allow the accommodation & accessibility team to see if there’s anyone who received a single bedroom but rejected their offer therefore freeing up a space.

Furthermore if you do have anxiety I recommend looking into getting a disabled students allowance to help you manage at university :smile:

Also, from what I know some people have found out about their accommodation already but most people haven’t, when you do you will receive an email from the university stating that they have made you an offer of accommodation with details on how to accept it.
I’m guessing that the people who have already found out have been told early because they weren’t put through the ballot and were assessed individually due to their medical needs.
Everyone else I believe finds out next week but I might be wrong :smile:
(Just because you haven’t found out yet doesn’t mean that you will definitely be given a shared bedroom.)

I hope I’ve answered all your questions adequately!

Hi

Thanks so much fore you reply. Defiantly has reassured me as I was already worried about all this. My doctors note did specify that I couldn’t share etc so I think that will remain. I hope that in the best case I won’t get shared though the ballot as I did put it last on my list so fingers crossed. Such a stressful time anyway to be worrying about sharing rooms. I have applied fore DSA but fore dyslexia as I didn’t even know you could apply fore anxiety I can’t lie
Hi

Thanks so much fore you reply. Defiantly has reassured me as I was already worried about all this. My doctors note did specify that I couldn’t share etc so I think that will remain. I hope that in the best case I won’t get shared though the ballot as I did put it last on my list so fingers crossed. Such a stressful time anyway to be worrying about sharing rooms. I have applied fore DSA but fore dyslexia as I didn’t even know you could apply fore anxiety I can’t lie

You can apply for anxiety (either generalised or social) but it must be diagnosed by your doctor (via a letter) and must be a long term condition (something you’ve had for over a year) which the letter must also confirm :smile:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you about the accommodation but definitely appeal it if you do get given a shared room.

Also if you haven’t already got in touch with your Falmouth accessibility advisor about your anxiety you definitely should as they’ll be able to help you make an individual learning plan with adjustments for things that your anxiety effects eg. the option to give presentations one on one instead of a large group until you are comfortable doing so
Hey, I’ve had a similar issue, I was allocated shared room today, not too happy lmao. But I also checked and it seems Exeter students that study at the Penryn campus have more options than Falmouth Students. If u go to apply on the Falmouth section now it says all that’s left is glasney shared rooms, but for Exeter students it says single rooms for both Glasney and The Sidings are available for Exeter students, all sounds a bit weird to me…
Original post by tamsin.charlotte
Hey, I’ve had a similar issue, I was allocated shared room today, not too happy lmao. But I also checked and it seems Exeter students that study at the Penryn campus have more options than Falmouth Students. If u go to apply on the Falmouth section now it says all that’s left is glasney shared rooms, but for Exeter students it says single rooms for both Glasney and The Sidings are available for Exeter students, all sounds a bit weird to me…

Thankfully I got a single room in sidings and it was my first choice so it’s either I got pulled out of the ballot due to my doctors note or I got extremely lucky. If you have medical reasons etc I know you can appeal you’re room but give them a ring regardless they may have something
You can apply for anxiety (either generalised or social) but it must be diagnosed by your doctor (via a letter) and must be a long term condition (something you’ve had for over a year) which the letter must also confirm :smile:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you about the accommodation but definitely appeal it if you do get given a shared room.

Also if you haven’t already got in touch with your Falmouth accessibility advisor about your anxiety you definitely should as they’ll be able to help you make an individual learning plan with adjustments for things that your anxiety effects eg. the option to give presentations one on one instead of a large group until you are comfortable doing so

Thankfully I got a single room in sidings!!! I was very happy with it so looks like my doctor note was fine and they didn’t give me shared based on that

Thanks Fore your reassurance :smile:
Thankfully I got a single room in sidings!!! I was very happy with it so looks like my doctor note was fine and they didn’t give me shared based on that

Thanks Fore your reassurance :smile:

I’m so glad you got what you wanted and not a shared room :smile:

Politely but firmly remind them of the Equality Act 2010 and their responsibilities. That said, if I left there years ago and found their disability support terrible, and they haven't improved in all that time, and they're still ripping off students by putting them in shared rooms, are you sure you want to go there? Do you have any offers for anywhere else? Sure, Penryn is a lovely place, but if you're not going to get the support you need, ask yourself if it's worth it. Sometimes there's private accommodation but it tends to go fast in Penryn.

Quick Reply

Latest