The Student Room Group

Falmouth or Arts Uni Plymouth?? (for animation)

Hi, I'm having a hard time choosing between unis!! I have an offer from AUP and UCA but Falmouth and Plymouth are my top two rn (love the chill coastal areas) <33 I've also applied to UAL and AUB but I haven't heard back from them yet!!

I was wondering if anyone studies animation at any of them and could tell me their thoughts?? or what student life is like in general! feeling very indecisive rn
You have nearly 6 months to make this decision. It’s way too early to decide.

Most universities will have offer holder days in February-April so you can visit and find out more about the course and the university. Have you visited any of your choices? I don’t think I would describe Plymouth as “chill” personally!

Visit ALL of your choices if possible (even the ones you think you don’t like right now) and then pick a firm choice in April at the very earliest.
Original post by PQ
You have nearly 6 months to make this decision. It’s way too early to decide.

Most universities will have offer holder days in February-April so you can visit and find out more about the course and the university. Have you visited any of your choices? I don’t think I would describe Plymouth as “chill” personally!

Visit ALL of your choices if possible (even the ones you think you don’t like right now) and then pick a firm choice in April at the very earliest.

Thank you, I've visited them all but I'll try and have a look at them again (some of them are super far though haha). I was just curious on what others thought 🙂

I meant that the arts university seems pretty chill but Plymouth is definitely much less chaotic than London!! Feels more like a town 🙂
Original post by ineedanswers!!!
Hi, I'm having a hard time choosing between unis!! I have an offer from AUP and UCA but Falmouth and Plymouth are my top two rn (love the chill coastal areas) <33 I've also applied to UAL and AUB but I haven't heard back from them yet!!

I was wondering if anyone studies animation at any of them and could tell me their thoughts?? or what student life is like in general! feeling very indecisive rn
Hello there,

I travelled for 8 hours from my hometown to attend Arts University Plymouth. The university's facilities were unlike any other, providing easy access to various studios, mediums, and techniques that weren't necessary parts of my course, which was particularly exciting for me.

I eco above, and the best way to determine the suitability of the university was to visit it and explore the city/town itself. Plymouth proved to have a little bit of everything for me, including a city vibe, nightlife, countryside, seaside living, and most importantly, safety. The cost of living was also considerably lower than in other cities where my friends were studying, and accommodation seemed more worth the money.

If you're trying to choose a university, it's best to determine what your priorities are for the course and the university. Do you require access to facilities, contact time with the tutors, or live briefs on the course? Answering these questions will help you make an informed decision.

I would also recommend talking to our students via our UniBuddy page - https://www.aup.ac.uk/ask-a-student

I hope this helps 🙂

Kate, Student Recruitment officer
Aup.ac.uk
Talk to our students -
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠

Hey,
I'm a current student studying at Arts University Plymouth and wanted to say that its one of the best decisions i've made.
Plymouth itself it a great city to live in, there's so much going on as its a big student city. During freshers Arts University Plymouth is humming, as well as the rest of the city.
As it's a coastal city there's always something going on down by the hoe (where the lighthouse is) or the Barbican.
The campus is also right across the road from the main shopping centre (Drake's Circus) and the high street, so it's so convenient for shopping.
This video is a good look into everyday student life ---> Student Life Vlog.
And to ask some more specific BA (Hons) Animation & Games questions you can chat to one of our Student Ambassadors who study that course here --> UniBuddy Chat

Hope all this helps, all the best,
Hannah,
Arts University Plymouth Representative

If UAL offers a place, i’d consider here due to their good reputation. But out of your two favourites so far, i’d choose Falmouth. Plymouth is not a very nice city overall, only areas around the barbican and hoe are nice. Falmouth has a friendly safe environment, with relatively decent public transport links making it easy to get around cornwall, as it isn’t a big place anyhow. Accommodation is shared with university of exeter students meaning you’ll get a broad range of people to mix with, not just those studying at Falmouth university alone, as campuses are shared.

I know many people who go to both, I hear Plymouth is more isolating, whereas Falmouth is a nice friendly and calm atmosphere. The towns are easy to walk around as Penryn and Falmouth are very close to one another, or a quick 5-10 minute bus for days/nights out.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest