The Student Room Group

Statistics probability question , please help (as level) cie

I have solved the first two questions , I just need the answer for the last part , any help would be great ! Thank you . Please do explain thoroughly.

An English examination consists of 8 questions in Part A and 3 questions in Part B. Candidates must choose 6 questions. The order in which questions are chosen does not matter. Find the number of ways in which the 6 questions can be chosen in each of the following cases.
(i) There are no restrictions on which questions can be chosen. [1]
(ii) Candidates must choose at least 4 questions from Part A. [3]
(iii) Candidates must either choose both question 1 and question 2 in Part A, or choose neither of these questions.
Case 1: You choose both questions, so you have to choose 4 more from the 9 remaining. (9C4 ways)

Case 2: You choose neither. So you have to choose 6 questions from the 9 remaining. (9C6 ways)
Original post by BobbJo
Case 1: You choose both questions, so you have to choose 4 more from the 9 remaining. (9C4 ways)

Case 2: You choose neither. So you have to choose 6 questions from the 9 remaining. (9C6 ways)

I do not get it , Can u please explain it in another way if that’s possible ?
Original post by Sammysammy99
I do not get it , Can u please explain it in another way if that’s possible ?

Candidates have to choose 6 questions.

If they choose question 1 and 2, they have to choose 4 more from what's left.

If they don't choose question 1 and 2, then they have to choose 6 from what's left.
Original post by BobbJo
Candidates have to choose 6 questions.

If they choose question 1 and 2, they have to choose 4 more from what's left.

If they don't choose question 1 and 2, then they have to choose 6 from what's left.

Alright thank you very much I get it now

Quick Reply

Latest