The Student Room Group

IBM Degree Apprenticeship 2018

Hi all,

I've recently been offered a degree apprenticeship by IBM to start in September 2018, and didn't know who else had been given offers and wanted to connect with a few people! Also interested in what other apprenticeships other people have applied to and am here to give any advice or answer any questions anyone may have! I've been through assessment centers, interviews, online tests and video interviews for a range of companies (IBM duh!, Accenture, Google, BT, EY and a few others). Just a general chat really about degree apprenticeships and to connect with others!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is your apprenticeship in? How did you find the assement centre got one coming up soon.
Original post by CharlieJ15420
Hi all,
I've recently been offered a degree apprenticeship by IBM to start in September 2018, and didn't know who else had been given offers and wanted to connect with a few people! Also interested in what other apprenticeships other people have applied to and am here to give any advice or answer any questions anyone may have! I've been through assessment centers, interviews, online tests and video interviews for a range of companies (IBM duh!, Accenture, Google, BT, EY and a few others). Just a general chat really about degree apprenticeships and to connect with others!
Original post by 1mildue
What is your apprenticeship in? How did you find the assement centre got one coming up soon.

My apprenticeship is the Digital and Technology Solutions degree. What are you applying for?

And I actually enjoyed the assessment center. It was very laid back and took about 4.5 hours, but a lot of that was just waiting and chatting to the other candidates and IBM employees. The 2 group exercises are very laid back, as long as everyone communicates and you stick to the time you'll be fine and the pre-prepared presentation also went very well. I'd advise not putting too much on your slides (only the main points) and elaborate more from it (if you're doing a PPT). It shows you know what you're talking about more. I also had one of the "possible business interviews" which took about 45mins. Overall everyone there was very nice and relaxed. The interviews and presentations are more like conversations and you never feel like you're being "assessed" so you should be fine as long as you have done the research!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi,

I'm currently a Degree Apprentice at IBM so feel free to give me shout with any questions you have!
Reply 4
What degree is it in?
Original post by jra216
Hi,

I'm currently a Degree Apprentice at IBM so feel free to give me shout with any questions you have!
Reply 5
Original post by 1mildue
What degree is it in?

Digital and Technology Solutions (basically ITMB) with the University of Exeter.
Oh wow the uni i'd be studying at is Exeter! I've sent you a PM!
Reply 7
Original post by bob009
Hi I have a few questions.What kind of experience do they expect to you have? In terms of coding/programming.What are some question they ask you during the interviews?What did you have to present?. Entry requirements for the program. I haven't done any Computer Science or IT related subjects at A-Level, bit worried I am at a disadvantage.

So I joined IBM as on the Business scheme and had no programming experience and have been doing the degree apprentice which is half business/half IT and although it is difficult with no experience it is not impossible and IBM and the Uni help you through it.

In regards to interview questions it is hard to tell as it is not specific, as a current employee I shouldn't disclose what I was asked. They are not difficult questions, you may be able to see some examples from other IBM schemes of questions.

In regards to presentation, when I did mine we had to talk about what we knew about IBM - if possible I would look at IBM strategic imperatives (will be able to find online) and relate that to your everyday life - shouldn't be too difficult! The official requirements will be online but as I said I had no IT knowledge coming into the firm.
Original post by bob009
Hi I have a few questions.What kind of experience do they expect to you have? In terms of coding/programming.What are some question they ask you during the interviews?What did you have to present?. Entry requirements for the program. I haven't done any Computer Science or IT related subjects at A-Level, bit worried I am at a disadvantage.

In terms of the interviews, the questions are more 'HR' based rather than technical based. By 'HR' I mean talking about you, your interests, why you want to do an apprenticeship, passion for tech etc. You do not need to have any prior coding knowledge - only a passion for innovation and emerging tech. There are no 'technical questions' that require you to code, so as long as you show off your enthusiasm, you'll be fine!

You will get an email about what to present if you get to an assessment center. Things like how tech influences the world and researching about IBM is the general basis. Its all designed to get you to show off your passion for tech.

Requirements on the application form are very low. I think something like DDE however they'll be higher if you get offered a job depending upon the Uni you'd be going to. I've recently been offered a place and I need ABB. It may be different for other people however.

Good Luck!
hey! ive applied for the digital and technology solutions degree. I have my final interview on tuesday. What should i expect? is there any technical questions or competency questions?
Original post by holly123458
hey! ive applied for the digital and technology solutions degree. I have my final interview on tuesday. What should i expect? is there any technical questions or competency questions?

Hi Holly!
Sorry I didn't get back to you, iv'e been very busy lately! I wouldn't have been much use to you with your question anyway, as I got given a straight offer after my assessment day without the need of a final interview. How did you find the interview though?
Hi all,

How many slides do you recommend for the presentation, also how do you show creativity 'evidence' in the presentation? , Also how many people were there during the group task and how many got through to the second part of the assessment centre? For those that didn't get through why do you think so , was it evident during the group task that they were weaker candidates?
I have no clue how many got through to the second stage (final interview) as I guess that's confidential to IBM. However on my assessment day there were 10 (were actually 9 as one didn't show up) and there was 5 of us in the group exercises. For my creativity I showed them what I had made for my ICT Coursework and how it was different from what other people had done and that I had thought "outside the box". Just think of something that is different from what other people will say and that it is not only personal to you, however somewhat transferable for the role you are applying for.

As I don't know who didn't get through to the next stage, I can't comment what they look for, however it was clear on the day who was quieter during the group tasks and who were the more confident people. I can't comment on who was 'weaker' as some people who were quieter during the group exercises may have smashed the presentation. Some tips for the group exercise however would be to do some of the roles that other candidates aren't. By this I mean set yourself as the time keeper and keep reminding people of the time, be the one to read out the brief you get at the beginning and be the person who writes on the whiteboard and asks for views and opinions from other people (that assuming you get given a whiteboard).

I honestly wouldn't stress too much about it. Mine was very chill and it didn't feel like I was being assessed.

Good luck though!
Reply 13
hey guys, i’m having a little trouble filling in my education history as it only comes up with universities but it’s a degree apprenticeship? i’ve only got predicted a level grade..any help?x
Original post by simraxn
hey guys, i’m having a little trouble filling in my education history as it only comes up with universities but it’s a degree apprenticeship? i’ve only got predicted a level grade..any help?x

Where are you filling in your education history? On the application form I downloaded, it came up with college/school and asked for my a levels or predicted grades.
Reply 15
Where are you filling in your education history? On the application form I downloaded, it came up with college/school and asked for my a levels or predicted grades.

I’ve completed that word document but it’s when i try and click on apply now
Original post by simraxn
I’ve completed that word document but it’s when i try and click on apply now

Im not too sure what the option are, but looking back at my application I selected an "Other" field and just put my school in, and for my "Major area of study" I just put in my 4 a levels I am currently studying. Under degree I just put 'A-Levels'. I didnt put in my predicted grades as they were already in the downloaded application form I uploaded.
Reply 17
Im not too sure what the option are, but looking back at my application I selected an "Other" field and just put my school in, and for my "Major area of study" I just put in my 4 a levels I am currently studying. Under degree I just put 'A-Levels'. I didnt put in my predicted grades as they were already in the downloaded application form I uploaded.

i’ll definitely try that,thankyou!! i’ve been tying to contact them and they’ve not responded yet but a friend of mine did the same thing and was moved onto the next stage too..thanks again!!
Hi I’m about to do my online assessment today or tomorrow . What should I expect? And I’m also only predicted 104 UCAS points , it meets the requirements for the business degree but I’m worried I’ll have to go through the whole application process only for them to ask for 120 UCAS points or above. I also have a place at University unconditional but I would rather do this .
Reply 19
Hi all,

Hi im from london and im considereing to apply however i got BBB in maths,chem and biology would they actually consider me with those grades and any tips on the each part of the application e.g form, apptitude test and interviews thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending