The Student Room Group

Macbeth

Got my aqa English gcse on the 25th of may and haven't started revising Macbeth. I understand the main storyline and the main themes e.g. ambition but i dont know how to revise it. There are so many websites, textbooks and revision material that seems to have so much but as a person who is only starting now and who doesnt have a lot of time to revise it, what should i do? Are there any places that i can revise from, knowing that if i only revise from there, that will be enough?
Original post by benjyl
Got my aqa English gcse on the 25th of may and haven't started revising Macbeth. I understand the main storyline and the main themes e.g. ambition but i dont know how to revise it. There are so many websites, textbooks and revision material that seems to have so much but as a person who is only starting now and who doesnt have a lot of time to revise it, what should i do? Are there any places that i can revise from, knowing that if i only revise from there, that will be enough?

Mr Bruff's Youtube videos are super helpful! Make some essay plans on key themes and characters to help you to plan how you may structure an essay and to identify any quotes, language or structural techniques that you may want to learn for the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by itslibby
Mr Bruff's Youtube videos are super helpful! Make some essay plans on key themes and characters to help you to plan how you may structure an essay and to identify any quotes, language or structural techniques that you may want to learn for the exam.

Thanks a lot but i find that although mr bruff's videos are helpful, the amount of analysis content is too much. I also don't have enough time to go through every scene's video.
I have ordered mr bruffs book which will be delivered over the next few days so ill be going through that instead. If i use that as my main source of revision for macbeth and also write some of my own interpretations that it is enough to get a decent grade, (e.g. 7), or does more need to be done?
Look you Stacey Reay on youtube, listened to her and made loads of mindmaps for a Christmas Carol and got 28/30 twice :-)
Original post by benjyl
Thanks a lot but i find that although mr bruff's videos are helpful, the amount of analysis content is too much. I also don't have enough time to go through every scene's video.
I have ordered mr bruffs book which will be delivered over the next few days so ill be going through that instead. If i use that as my main source of revision for macbeth and also write some of my own interpretations that it is enough to get a decent grade, (e.g. 7), or does more need to be done?

I guess it just depends on what grade you’re on at the moment. I’m sure you’ll be fine as long as you work hard! & If you want some shorter videos that might help with high level analysis then try the student exemplar ones
also with Macbeth it is all about actually understanding the events and building up an argument before you write and essay!

I WENT UP TWO GRADES USING THIS

Make sure to ask yourself:
Read the extract and think about these questions in relation to the play as a whole
What is Shakespare using the character/relationship to higlight?
What comment is Shakespare making about this theme
What effect does this theme have on other characters
What is the relationship between this character and the key themes
What is Macbeths relationship to this

THEN read the extract to refine your answer
What is the extract sayning in relation to the theme
Is it reflected or challenged in the play as a whole
How is the character presented in this extract
again is this refected or challenged in the play as a whole

FINALLY BRIEFLY annotate 3 quotations then add 3 whole text ones and the context comments you want to make
Reply 6
Original post by benjyl

try this. has been what I've found most helpful. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/155ff5e0-374d-11e8-b1d7-1d16c592d2f8/section/c30893d0-38b7-11e8-a6d2-7f9af227008a Each section takes about 15mins to go through, and makes you understand and remember it. and can just choose which sections you want!

Quick Reply

Latest