The Student Room Group

Igcse edexcel 11th june 2018 biology 2b:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by young_shotter
Surely the independent is light? what your saying could be right too.

Yeah the independent variable is objectively the light, as the cloud change relies on the photosynthesis rate, which relies on the light intensity
Original post by Luka8
Guys the question about why the plant need to reproduce in a quickly cycle?

I wrote to conserve and reduce the energy wasted
Original post by yoongles
yeah thats what i put. also for yeast i said sterilize the fermentor with steam, then put the yeast in a growth or nutrient culture, and put it in the fermentor, use PH and temperature measures to make sure PH and temp are optimum for enzymes, pump oxygen into the fermentor so the yeast can respire and use paddles to turn the mixture so the oxygen is evenly spread

Does it have to be in that order? I just wrote four related things, but did in an order that wasn't exactly chronological.
I think you had to mention to reduce water lost by the leaves through transpiration as water vapour? You might be right
Original post by cieloceleste
as it is in the desert, it receives a lot of sunlight hence lots of photosynthesis occurs, i know this wrong but i didnt know what to say, what did u write
Original post by DanCantDraw
Couldn't stems also be considered because of cuttings?

That's cloning, and not really natural asexual reproduction, so I don't think so.
Original post by Jadelrx
What did you put for the natural pesticide question?

I rambled on about to stop them decomposing (probably wrong) what did you write
Original post by Kaiser Reich
I wrote to conserve and reduce the energy wasted

I wrote about seeds being unable to germinate without rainfall so it needs to be a quick process before spring
Original post by LisaR2016
I wrote about seeds being unable to germinate without rainfall so it needs to be a quick process before spring

Ah heck, that makes more sense
thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Shafkat696
Can we write arteriole instead of capillary

I did a(I think it was 2015) past paper. If you put capillaries they negate you marks, so it's arterioles
Original post by mrbubbles123
That's cloning, and not really natural asexual reproduction, so I don't think so.

It is part of asexual reproduction. You can read it in the book :P
Original post by Kaiser Reich
I think you had to mention to reduce water lost by the leaves through transpiration as water vapour? You might be right

i said about transpiration and evaporation for question 1 haha. im talking about the question why do desert plants not suffer from having smaller leaves
Original post by DanCantDraw
It is part of asexual reproduction. You can read it in the book :P

it is asexual reproduction, but through micro-propagation or other forms of cloning by man, so cuttings or explants therefore are not considered ORGANS for asexual reproduction (because they arent organs just bits of stem), which is what the question asked, so i dont think its right, i think you had to say runners/tubers/ovary or any actual organ to get the mark. it was only one mark tho so...
I know this is the biology thread but for whoever is doing chemistry tomorrow how are you feeling about it? Which topics do you find the hardest?
Original post by Jadelrx
I know this is the biology thread but for whoever is doing chemistry tomorrow how are you feeling about it? Which topics do you find the hardest?

It’s gonna be hard af
Original post by amazingfcb
It’s gonna be hard af

lol probably! Paper 1 wasn't too bad though. What topics don't you like? For me it's moles (although I can do the empirical and molecular formula), equilibrium, titration calculations and bond energy calculations, (BASICALLY I DON'T LIKE CALCULATIONS lol) I know they are going to come up though so I'm trying to look over them right now.
Original post by Jadelrx
lol probably! Paper 1 wasn't too bad though. What topics don't you like? For me it's moles (although I can do the empirical and molecular formula), equilibrium, titration calculations and bond energy calculations, (BASICALLY I DON'T LIKE CALCULATIONS lol) I know they are going to come up though so I'm trying to look over them right now.

My g same
What about the starch test? Like remove chlorophyll cover a part of the leaf and then let it photosynteseize . After that check using iodine whther starch is present and the covered part as well
Original post by yoongles
it is asexual reproduction, but through micro-propagation or other forms of cloning by man, so cuttings or explants therefore are not considered ORGANS for asexual reproduction (because they arent organs just bits of stem), which is what the question asked, so i dont think its right, i think you had to say runners/tubers/ovary or any actual organ to get the mark. it was only one mark tho so...

I answered stem (cuttings in brackets), and stems are considered organs of the plant. But yeah its just one mark.
Original post by Jadelrx
What did you put for the natural pesticide question?

protection against pests to increase survival
Original post by marika_mce
protection against pests to increase survival

Yeah I put to stop them from being eaten, did you just sit chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending