The Student Room Group

Anyone else mess up EDEXCEL History: Weimar and Nazi Germany?

I went in so prepared and confident, and basically left the hall in tears.

The four marker was okay, i think i did decently on that.

Unemployment was a shock, that's for sure.
We never fully covered it in class, just touched upon it. I mentioned the bullet points, and then tried to include the 'standard of better living' or whatever it is but i messed up.

and goodness me the sources, who's idea was it to use such a small timeframe.
There wasnt much to mention other than the crisis year of 1923 (ruhr and hyperinflation), the treaty of versailles, and the kapp + munich putsch (there was the Spartascist uprising but i forgot about that.

I basically waffled for all of section B, because honestly i just couldn't do it.
I have the knowledge, and i could have applied it, but i just couldn't??
It was basically the same thing for them all, and i mentioned and reoeated everything from the previous questions becuase there was nothing else to really add...

Also; for the differences, i'm not very sure how i was supposed to actually answer that? please help?

There goes my history grade, i was predicted an 8/9 (not to show off or anything, because i'm really not trying to) and now i'll be lucky to get a 5.

If anyone else seriously struggled, please share it below.
As well as perhaps for those who didn't, maybe share the answers that you gave, so i can see whati could have done?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found the exam okay, not the best though. I needed more time :frown: Maybe grade boundaries will be low so you could get an 8/9!
For the 4 marker, I said the difference was that view 1 made it seem like the people of Germany were making it difficult for the Republic to run the country while in view 2, it was the Republic's own actions that made it hard for them.

Not worry, I also found it hard, especially when we have practised these questions once in class. Still don't know the structure for that last question.
Reply 3
Original post by hp4300
I found the exam okay, not the best though. I needed more time :frown: Maybe grade boundaries will be low so you could get an 8/9!

I hope so, because i know for sure i flopped on that paper.
So i'm really, really. hoping others did too, even if it sounds mean.
I just want one subject that is higher than a 5
(i know iv'e failed maths and english, so i was hoping on history and Hitler to be my saving grace, but i guess not?)

Yes, I agree more time was needed, even for me, and i do have the extra time (but it isn't a lot trust me, not enough to make a difference)
Reply 4
Original post by Kaaseon
I hope so, because i know for sure i flopped on that paper.
So i'm really, really. hoping others did too, even if it sounds mean.
I just want one subject that is higher than a 5
(i know iv'e failed maths and english, so i was hoping on history and Hitler to be my saving grace, but i guess not?)

Yes, I agree more time was needed, even for me, and i do have the extra time (but it isn't a lot trust me, not enough to make a difference)

If it makes you feel any better I messed up the first History paper.
Reply 5
Original post by Goldfish4343
For the 4 marker, I said the difference was that view 1 made it seem like the people of Germany were making it difficult for the Republic to run the country while in view 2, it was the Republic's own actions that made it hard for them.

Not worry, I also found it hard, especially when we have practised these questions once in class. Still don't know the structure for that last question.

Ahh that sounds like a great answer!!

I mean, i tried it and i basically waffled on about how 1 was more about the oppositional views that political parties held towards the government.Whereas in 2, whilst holding the same view it incorportaed the general public, as well as the factors that affected the negative viewpoint that was held towrads the government (basically the peoples anger at them for signing the TOV, as they felt betrayed and how it aided in causing the economic collapse ebacus eof the reparitions and germanys inability to pay them leading to the invasion of the ruhr, and hyperinflation).
I thought it was calm tbh but alot of waffling
Reply 7
Original post by riyad101010
I thought it was calm tbh but alot of waffling

Oh dang really?
I mean i get the waffling bit, but I thought the questions were awful, they skipped almost all the major topics, and focus on no offense, but kind of irrelevant stuff, and then just repeate the same thing for three questions.

Compared to the other two exams, this one wa awful.
For the 4 marker I said that the differences between the two sources was that Source B focused more on strong oppositions being the main challenge that the weimar republic faced, whereas Source C focused more on hyperinflation being the main challenge.

You probably did much better than you thought! even if you were waffling the examiners still mark what’s on the page
I honestly wouldn't worry! After my December Mock I spent the evening crying - I just felt like I had failed my teacher and myself in a subject I thought I was good at. I ended up coming out with 85%! Honestly, we aren't good judges of how we've done. I felt that today's paper could definitely have been better, and don't worry because this is just one paper out of 3! You have done 2 others and so as long as those went okay, you'll be fine. Good luck
Original post by Kaaseon
Oh dang really?
I mean i get the waffling bit, but I thought the questions were awful, they skipped almost all the major topics, and focus on no offense, but kind of irrelevant stuff, and then just repeate the same thing for three questions.

Compared to the other two exams, this one wa awful.

yh i agree with that. so much stuff on inflation and the ruhr. was expecting other big topics, but they niced it with the easy sources.
Original post by diamondionysx
For the 4 marker I said that the differences between the two sources was that Source B focused more on strong oppositions being the main challenge that the weimar republic faced, whereas Source C focused more on hyperinflation being the main challenge.

You probably did much better than you thought! even if you were waffling the examiners still mark what’s on the page

yh thats basically all u could say about the sources so thats 4 marks there.
i just bs like always and get good marks 😂🤣😂 half of it was just an English test anway, interpreting sources and stuff. not alot of own knowledge required compaired to the other tests
(edited 5 years ago)
Didn't feel it went amazing (where the hell was literally 90% of the course at? Hitler who?) but at least there's two other papers that could help bring it back, how did you feel they went? You can never predict what you've got and it's not worth stressing about it, because it's done now and there's nothing you can do about it. I thought paper 2 was the worst exam I've ever done, but being upset isn't suddenly going to get me an 8 (although mid break down I wasn't thinking that optimistically, I must admit). I bet you've done a lot better than you think you have, chin up:h:
what do u guys think grade boundaries i reakon;

65%-6
75%-7
85%-8
92%-9
Thankfully I anticipated that there would be a lot of Weimar content because next to none came up in the mock,and i fortunately remembered work schemes for the unemployment question.On the other hand,I partially bombed paper 2 and could barely answer the 16 marker for Elizabeth (only one extra point that was a VERY short paragraph).
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,

I just did the Germany paper and it didn't go to plan... On My other testes, they were great and i think i got really high marks(Cold war Elizabeth and Crime and punishment) I found them really easy and i was hoping today would be the same. Today wasn't that bad but i messed up on the 12 marker. I spoke about strength through joy and that was pretty much it. The rest of the test was good, no complains about that at all.

Is it gonna be impossible for me to get a 7 as that what ive been working towards especially after my previous tests, i feel like 12 marks is alot to lose so lemme hear your opinions. Be as truthful as possible, i don't want to have false security :smile:
Reply 17
What was your other non bullet pointed reason for the drop in unemployment??

I talked about invisible unemployment of women and Jews do you think that will count?
Original post by essaffa
What was your other non bullet pointed reason for the drop in unemployment??

I talked about invisible unemployment of women and Jews do you think that will count?

im guessing you would get most of the marks, i literally forgot everything in the exam to do with unemployment.
The first 4 marker/inference Q seemed straightforward.

For the 12 marker - Rearmament - 1.2 million in army by 1938 and $26 billion spent - work provided in ammunition and vehicle manufacturing
- 7000 KM autobahn - 125,000 employed in its construction by 1935 and 3500KM finished by 1938.
KdF or 'Strength through Joy' campaign - 5 marks from weekly wage for 40 mpg VW car - Gave unemployed incentives to find work and encourage those already employed to stay in work even if profession is menial and poor-paying

8 marker seemed straightforward.

For the main difference - Interpretation 1 presents political challenges whilst Interpretation 2 presents economic challenges

For why - just explained how the historians have different focuses

For 16 marker - AGREE - Ruhr valley taken in Jan 1923 - 80% of coal iron and steel lost - economic depression - DISAGREE - Kapp Putsch and Spartacists Revolt 6th Jan 1919 - 100,000 leftwing protesters - 5000 Freikorps for the Putsch - indicate magnitude of political challenges; they also presented huge threats to Weimar - AGREE - Bread cost 1 mark in 1919, then cost 200,000 billion marks in 1923 and £1 of foreign goods worth $20 billion marks - both of these infuriated public - incited violence
CONCLUSION - weigh up arguments - agree w/ I2 that economic factors were the greatest challenges to Weimar to a certain extent.

Hope this helped :smile: Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest