The Student Room Group

What's the best book you've ever read?

What book is the best book you've ever read? Why was it the best? :teeth:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) - Cassandra Claire
I love this book, because it was really emotional, especially at the end. It was the best ending to a series that you could ask for, and it also starts weaving into The Mortal Instruments series, which I thought was really clever. (Spoiler, sorry!)
:h:
“A Little Piece of Ground” by Elizabeth Laird. Incredibly well written, and moving. Gives you a real insight on teenagers living in a war zone. I definitely recommend it
the Gospel of St Mark. it relates how Our Lord went about Israel doing marvellous things and proclaiming the Kingdom of God.
FICTION

It's cliche to say, but it's the truth: for me it has to be To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It really opened my eyes a lot to the way the world works. It's a very powerful narrative an well-written/thought-out imho :yes:

ACADEMIC TEXTBOOK

Feminine Endings by Susan McClary. I'd found my Oxford degree very boring and stifling for the most part in first year (only one optional module out of five!), so reading the introduction to this book and finding out that I was not the only one who felt like this about academia was great! I don't agree with everything in the book per se, but it's very thought-provoking :smartass:

SPIRITUAL BOOK

The Story of a Soul by St Therese (can't do the accents!) of Lisieux. It's captivating and entertaining, with lots of food for thought and an accessible, practical approach to faith :jebus:
Reply 5
The MMK because it changed my life (literally - I spend all my time writing about it and issues stemming from or otherwise relating to it).
Loving how varied the answers are so far! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Watership Down

I just love it. It’s timeless and no matter how many times I read it It never gets boring
Reply 8
Salem's Lot by Stephen King

I read it for the first time when I was about 8 or 9 and it fully introduced me into the world of horror. I've read many of his books but this one is still my favourite and still scares me even after multiple reads!
Original post by Pugglet
Watership Down

I just love it. It’s timeless and no matter how many times I read it It never gets boring

I'm sure I must have read this at some point, but I honestly have no recollection of it - I'm going to give it a reread based on this :biggrin:
The Magic Key which I read when I was 5.
Introduced me to Biff, Chip and Kipper books that taught me how to read :biggrin:
Original post by 3pointonefour
The Magic Key which I read when I was 5.
Introduced me to Biff, Chip and Kipper books that taught me how to read :biggrin:

:undefined:five same here :smile: i think there was a tv series of it as well.

In reply to shadowdweller I'd say the best book I've read is probably either HP5 or the Railway Children (read that quite recently & I became very interested in the context and time period it was written in)
All of them except Fifty Shades.
Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography. He's just such a remarkable person that's done everything there is to do in life.
In a similar Format of The_Loney_Goatherd

Fictional

I'd say my favourite fictional book that I've read so far would have to be Malazan Book of the Fallen: Memories of Ice. An absolute masterpiece. The whole series is great (1/3 of the way through the eigth book) but there's something magical about the third one.

It's themes are astounding. It's world building is fantastic and he might be the master at making you like minor characters in just their introduction and kill them of in the same paragraph. You thought G.R.R.M liked killing off people...

Spiritual
My favourite spiritual book would have to be Romans or Acts. Though I think the gospels are of course more important in spreading the message, I find Romans sometimes personal compared to Mark, Matthew, Luke or John. I'm also fanciated by Acts because it gives us the opportunity to see into the early church and it's major struggles and to see my second favourite person in the New Testament for the first time. Paul. Maybe one of the most interesting people in Christianity's history.

If we're talking Non-Canon, I'd say it would have to be

Abide: Understanding the secrets of living for Jesus by Warren.W.Wiersbe.
Before I die - arguably a little teeny for someone in their mid twenties, but it gave me a whole different outlook towards life.
Original post by Chronoscope
:five: same here :smile: i think there was a tv series of it as well.

In reply to shadowdweller I'd say the best book I've read is probably either HP5 or the Railway Children (read that quite recently & I became very interested in the context and time period it was written in)

I think I've only ever seen the film of Railway Children, rather than reading it. Would I be right in assuming the book is better? :tongue:
Original post by shadowdweller
I think I've only ever seen the film of Railway Children, rather than reading it. Would I be right in assuming the book is better? :tongue:

Hmmm idk actually as I've cant compare them yet (haven't seen the film yet apart from.a couple of scenes - its on my to-do list). I listened to the audiobook on youtube as it got quite descriptive at one point so in that sense it was it better.
Original post by BoultS94
Before I die - arguably a little teeny for someone in their mid twenties, but it gave me a whole different outlook towards life.

I've read that; definitely agree that it gives you a different outlook towards life :holmes:

Original post by Chronoscope
Hmmm idk actually as I've cant compare them yet (haven't seen the film yet apart from.a couple of scenes - its on my to-do list). I listened to the audiobook on youtube as it got quite descriptive at one point so in that sense it was it better.

Ah okay - I'll give the book a try soon and find out then :biggrin:
Reply 19
Hmm I have to say it’s “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. It is such an inspiring book and has loads of messages within it, that is just so enlightening and so nice. There’s just a kind of warmth and love that radiates from the book. Totes recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending