The Student Room Group

IR personal statement

Hi all, so I’m on a gap year as I didn’t know what I wanted to study, but I have now chosen international relations for my degree, as I find it a very interesting field that has an ever increasing relevance in todays world of geopolitics that impacts us in so many ways we don’t realise. I’ve always been quite fond of learning about how countries cooperate with eachother and also modern conflict. I studied the a levels psychology and sociology and have fairly good argumentative essay writing skills, and have read many books on countries that piqued my interest such as afghanistan, pakistan, russia, etc.

My issue is, I don’t know how I could really structure this personal statement, i do think I should get some experience even if it’s virtual so my application is stronger but it’s also not my first time writing a PS, so I’m not completely stuck, however some pointers would be amazing, especially if you already study IR, thanks so much !! I’ll also have a look at the example statements already out there.
unis I’m looking to apply to include kcl, ucl, southampton, surrey, etc
Original post by user787
Hi all, so I’m on a gap year as I didn’t know what I wanted to study, but I have now chosen international relations for my degree, as I find it a very interesting field that has an ever increasing relevance in todays world of geopolitics that impacts us in so many ways we don’t realise. I’ve always been quite fond of learning about how countries cooperate with eachother and also modern conflict. I studied the a levels psychology and sociology and have fairly good argumentative essay writing skills, and have read many books on countries that piqued my interest such as afghanistan, pakistan, russia, etc.

My issue is, I don’t know how I could really structure this personal statement, i do think I should get some experience even if it’s virtual so my application is stronger but it’s also not my first time writing a PS, so I’m not completely stuck, however some pointers would be amazing, especially if you already study IR, thanks so much !! I’ll also have a look at the example statements already out there.
unis I’m looking to apply to include kcl, ucl, southampton, surrey, etc

Hi, it's great that you want to study International Relations (IR) at University and are interested in geopolitics. I'm a final year undergraduate in Arabic and IR at SOAS University and I remember being in the same situation a few years ago! In terms of structure, I'd recommend starting with why you're interested in IR and link it to books on countries you've read and are particularly interested in. It's also great to include any TedTalks or articles you've engaged with on geopolitics and international affairs that interest you and link it back to why you want to study IR at uni. In terms of experience, it's great to talk about insights you've had into IR including Model UN conferences you've participated in or if you've been part of a debating society at school or countries you've travelled to and why they interest you and any climate activism you've done and link all these back to your interest in international affairs.

Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic & IR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending