The Student Room Group

Personal statement for pharmacology???

I would like to study pharmacology, but some unis that I want to apply to can call it pharmaceutical science/chemistry. Do i call it pharmacology or just not apply to those universities at all?

Scroll to see replies

bump
Original post by d0nkey_dude
I would like to study pharmacology, but some unis that I want to apply to can call it pharmaceutical science/chemistry. Do i call it pharmacology or just not apply to those universities at all?

Please don't bump your thread if it's less than 24h old. People don't live on TSR.

Different unis may call similar courses different things. If the content is similar you should be fine. There's no need to mention the course name at all. Focus on your specific academic interests and how you developed them.
Reply 3

Pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences/chemistry are quite different courses, just look at the module topics and see if they could be overlapped in your personal statement. Keep it open to both, you don't even need to mention the name of the course, just talk about your interests etc. that go across both subjects e.g chemistry/biology/learning about medications. Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by alws
Pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences/chemistry are quite different courses

Not really actually!
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
Not really actually!

Um, yes they are! Pharmaceutical sciences mainly concerns pharmaceutics, medicinal chemsitry and generally how drugs are produced and prepared with a lesser focus on the internal biological effects. Pharmacology is the biology of drugs in the body, e.g the pharmacokinetics and mechanisms of medicaitons in the body. But I guess you know better, don't you?
Original post by alws
Um, yes they are! Pharmaceutical sciences mainly concerns pharmaceutics, medicinal chemsitry and generally how drugs are produced and prepared with a lesser focus on the internal biological effects. Pharmacology is the biology of drugs in the body, e.g the pharmacokinetics and mechanisms of medicaitons in the body.

Course content for both is actually quite similar though yes different courses will have slightly different focuses. From a PS perspective, both can be covered with the same PS with ease. It's very difficult if not impossible to design drugs and understand their mechanism of action without covering the basic biological mechanisms they target.

In the 'real world' people with either degree could end up doing the same job which is the bottom line.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Course content for both is actually quite similar though yes different courses will have slightly different focuses. From a PS perspective, both can be covered with the same PS with ease. It's very difficult if not impossible to design drugs and understand their mechanism of action without covering the basic biological mechanisms they target.

Exactly, the two courses can actually be combined quite smoothly into one personal statement, so it should fortunately be easy for OP. Just depends if he/she would like to study both as they are somewhat different.
Original post by alws
Exactly, the two courses can actually be combined quite smoothly into one personal statement, so it should fortunately be easy for OP. Just depends if he/she would like to study both as they are somewhat different.

So generally, as a PS reviewer, I'd never recommend someone combine courses into one statement but if they are similar enough which these two are then it's pretty much about different unis calling the course different things, not that the courses are different :smile:
Reply 9
So generally, as a PS reviewer, I'd never recommend someone combine courses into one statement but if they are similar enough which these two are then it's pretty much about different unis calling the course different things, not that the courses are different :smile:

To be fair, as I said earlier they are quite different courses (a number of universities offer both courses), but the subjects are based on the common topic of medications.
Original post by alws
To be fair, as I said earlier they are quite different courses (a number of universities offer both courses), but the subjects are based on the common topic of medications.

I'm sorry hun but they really aren't. The same uni offering both means little. Have a look through the course content yourself. You might find that a lot of the modules are either shared or taught by the same people. The modules offered may be slightly different but that is true also for courses called the same thing at different unis. So based on that every single course offered in the UK is unique in some way. If you can write two courses into the same PS they are pretty much the same course with slightly different focuses.

We can agree to disagree but this is the PS help forum so as a PS reviewer I'm asking you to please not confuse applicants.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm sorry hun but they really aren't. The same uni offering both means little. Have a look through the course content yourself. You might find that a lot of the modules are either shared or taught by the same people. The modules offered may be slightly different but that is true also for courses called the same thing at different unis. So based on that every single course offered in the UK is unique in some way. If you can write two courses into the same PS they are pretty much the same course with slightly different focuses.

We can agree to disagree but this is the PS help forum so as a PS reviewer I'm asking you to please not confuse applicants.

I'm trying to confuse applicants, are you serious?
Says the person who is saying these two subjects are interchangeable when they are not, the modules are not "slightly different", you are just spreading clear disinformation.
Don't tell me to look through the course content, I already have done so, you clearly have not! If we compare the Pharmaceutical chemistry MSci at QMUL with Pharmacology BSc also at QMUL, I can't see a single common module.

Pharmaceutical chemistry MSci - Basic biochemistry, fundamentals of spectroscopy, fundamentals of inorganic chemsitry, organic synthesis, advanced pharmaceutical chemistry, applied spectroscopy.
Pharmacology BSc - Biomedical physiology, chromosomes and gene function, immunology and infection.

I know there are some overlaps, but they are not the same course. I am trying to provide the full picture to the original poster so he applies for the course he wants, what if he for example hates organic synthesis and organic chemistry practicals - that is a major part of pharmaceutical science and he may not enjoy the course.
Original post by alws
I'm trying to confuse applicants, are you serious?
Says the person who is saying these two subjects are interchangeable when they are not, the modules are not "slightly different", you are just spreading clear disinformation.
Don't tell me to look through the course content, I already have done so, you clearly have not! If we compare the Pharmaceutical chemistry MSci at QMUL with Pharmacology BSc also at QMUL, I can't see a single common module.

Pharmaceutical chemistry MSci - Basic biochemistry, fundamentals of spectroscopy, fundamentals of inorganic chemsitry, organic synthesis, advanced pharmaceutical chemistry, applied spectroscopy.
Pharmacology BSc - Biomedical physiology, chromosomes and gene function, immunology and infection.

I know there are some overlaps, but they are not the same course. I am trying to provide the full picture to the original poster so he applies for the course he wants, what if he for example hates organic synthesis and organic chemistry practicals - that is a major part of pharmaceutical science and he may not enjoy the course.

Yes I'm being perfectly serious.

Pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences are not the same thing. Chemistry and related subjects are a whole different ball game.

It's funny that you picked QMUL as an example as I have worked and taught there so am well aware of the course offerings :smile:

We really are just going round in circles now. As i said the bottom line is that people with either a pharmacology or pharmaceutical sciences degree can end up doing the same job. They can also write both courses into the same PS so for all practical purposes the courses are very similar.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences are not the same thing. Chemistry and related subjects are a whole different ball game.

It's funny that you picked QMUL as an example as I have worked and taught there so am well aware of the course offerings :smile:

Well the original post suggests the user was also looking at pharmaceutical chemistry and also thinking it is "another name for the same course", so it is important I made reference to pharmaceutical chemistry too.
Reply 14
Let's just compare first year and second pharmaceutical sciences with pharmacology at a different university (Kingston University which offers both courses) too:

Pharm. science:

[*]Introduction to Spectroscopy and Experimental Techniques

[*]Academic Skills for Molecular Sciences

[*]Foundation Chemistry for Pharmaceutical Science

[*]Bioscience 1
[*]

[*]Organic and Medicinal Chemistry

[*]Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics

[*]Analytical Science

[*]Practical and Research Skills in Pharmaceutical Science

Pharmacology:

Genes, Cells and Tissues

[*]The Chemical Foundations of Life

[*]Scientific and Laboratory Skills

[*]Human Physiology

Molecular Biology of the Cell

[*]Principles of Pharmacology with Research Methods

[*]Infection and Immunity

[*]System Pharmacology
Reply 15
Original post by alws
Let's just compare first year and second pharmaceutical sciences with pharmacology at a different university (Kingston University which offers both courses) too:

Pharm. science:

[*]Introduction to Spectroscopy and Experimental Techniques

[*]Academic Skills for Molecular Sciences

[*]Foundation Chemistry for Pharmaceutical Science

[*]Bioscience 1
[*]

[*]Organic and Medicinal Chemistry

[*]Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics

[*]Analytical Science

[*]Practical and Research Skills in Pharmaceutical Science

Pharmacology:

Genes, Cells and Tissues

[*]The Chemical Foundations of Life

[*]Scientific and Laboratory Skills

[*]Human Physiology

Molecular Biology of the Cell

[*]Principles of Pharmacology with Research Methods

[*]Infection and Immunity

[*]System Pharmacology

Pharmacology is a sub-topic of the pharmaceutical sciences, if OP wants a greater detailed focus on the biological mechanisms of drug action in the body then he should do pharmacology, e.g if he likes learning about receptors, signalling and pharmacokinetics. If OP likes a broader study of how drugs are formulated, designed, synthesised, tested for purity etc, and how the pharmaceutical industry works he should take pharmaceutical sciences. If he wants a greater focus on the chemical side of pharmaceutics he should take pharmaceutical chemistry.
Yes I'm being perfectly serious.

We really are just going round in circles now. As i said the bottom line is that people with either a pharmacology or pharmaceutical sciences degree can end up doing the same job. They can also write both courses into the same PS so for all practical purposes the courses are very similar.

I think i would try to keep it specific but i’m not really sure how to mention the course without saying it’s name lol
Original post by alws
Pharmacology is a sub-topic of the pharmaceutical sciences, if OP wants a greater detailed focus on the biological mechanisms of drug action in the body then he should do pharmacology, e.g if he likes learning about receptors, signalling and pharmacokinetics. If OP likes a broader study of how drugs are formulated, designed, synthesised, tested for purity etc, and how the pharmaceutical industry works he should take pharmaceutical sciences. If he wants a greater focus on the chemical side of pharmaceutics he should take pharmaceutical chemistry.

Thanks for the advice, I think i’m gonna go towards which one i prefer more more from my a levels, the. chemical or biological side.
I think i would try to keep it specific but i’m not really sure how to mention the course without saying it’s name lol

Give me an example of when you would need to use the course name?
Give me an example of when you would need to use the course name?

Say i’d say what the course is called, or why I want to do that specific course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending