The Student Room Group

UCAS/Personal Statement be

Hey guys, I am currently in Year 12 and I want to become a pharmacologist or a pharmaceutical research scientist so I have decided to take the biochemistry but I realised some universities offer a pharmacology degree, so would I be able to apply for two courses through UCAS? And how would I structure my personal statement if I can do two courses? Because I don't want them to think I'm applying for the wrong course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Seems like a good plan!
Reply 2
Original post by meowzzi
Seems like a good plan!

Sorry half of my question didn't go through so I edited my statement, would you offer any advice?
Heyyy, I actually applied to both pharmacology and biomedicine using one personal statement and it’s very common so don’t worry. Just make sure not to mention the name of the course ie biochemistry or pharmacology specifically and make sure to include relevant information that’s common in both courses like drug discovery and manufacturing, the biological effects of drugs on the body like side effects, you could talk about clinical trials and relate it to covid, the organic chemistry behind drugs like aspirin synthesis including mechanisms and routeways. Make sure to attend loads of lectures and do activities outside of school and further reading to make you stand out. Main thing is there’s loads of overlap maybe look at uni course content and write the common topics and start from there. I can show u my ps if you’d like :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much, I’ll definitely take this into consideration!
Original post by sanau18
Thank you so much, I’ll definitely take this into consideration!

Glad to help xx
Reply 6
Original post by JJ <3
Heyyy, I actually applied to both pharmacology and biomedicine using one personal statement and it’s very common so don’t worry. Just make sure not to mention the name of the course ie biochemistry or pharmacology specifically and make sure to include relevant information that’s common in both courses like drug discovery and manufacturing, the biological effects of drugs on the body like side effects, you could talk about clinical trials and relate it to covid, the organic chemistry behind drugs like aspirin synthesis including mechanisms and routeways. Make sure to attend loads of lectures and do activities outside of school and further reading to make you stand out. Main thing is there’s loads of overlap maybe look at uni course content and write the common topics and start from there. I can show u my ps if you’d like :smile:

Hey! I was just looking at this thread because I am in a similar situation and I am unsure what to do for my personal statement in terms of structure and extracurricular activities. Could I possibly also have a look at your personal statement?
Reply 7
Original post by ast3r
Hey! I was just looking at this thread because I am in a similar situation and I am unsure what to do for my personal statement in terms of structure and extracurricular activities. Could I possibly also have a look at your personal statement?

Hii! Just to let you know I havent finished my personal statement and I’ve actually decided to only apply for biochemistry courses so i’m not sure if you would still want my personal statement, but I basically did this:
Intro - stated why I wanted to do the course and briefly said how I would use the degree in the future. I linked something I read into this parapgrah to help make my point come across as clear as possible, but you don’t have to do that if you don’t need to.
Second paragraph - this is where I stated how i would be a good fit, so I stated something I read from An Introduction to Biochemistry by Mark Lorch. This way I showed my knowledge and interest in the course. I also am currently doing a CREST Gold project (you don’t have to, I just wanted to do it) about diseases and this is where I will link my skills that could be useful for the degree.
Third paragraph - this is where i stated my extracurriculars, so I ran pottery club and also a sports captain, and i also participated in football and taekwondo club as well.

I think mainly unis just want to see how motivated and interested you are in the course you are applying for and what evidence you have to show your dedication and interest. I hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by sanau18
Hii! Just to let you know I havent finished my personal statement and I’ve actually decided to only apply for biochemistry courses so i’m not sure if you would still want my personal statement, but I basically did this:
Intro - stated why I wanted to do the course and briefly said how I would use the degree in the future. I linked something I read into this parapgrah to help make my point come across as clear as possible, but you don’t have to do that if you don’t need to.
Second paragraph - this is where I stated how i would be a good fit, so I stated something I read from An Introduction to Biochemistry by Mark Lorch. This way I showed my knowledge and interest in the course. I also am currently doing a CREST Gold project (you don’t have to, I just wanted to do it) about diseases and this is where I will link my skills that could be useful for the degree.
Third paragraph - this is where i stated my extracurriculars, so I ran pottery club and also a sports captain, and i also participated in football and taekwondo club as well.

I think mainly unis just want to see how motivated and interested you are in the course you are applying for and what evidence you have to show your dedication and interest. I hope this helps!

its alr that the personal statement is only biochem focused, it still provided me with some direction so thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ast3r
its alr that the personal statement is only biochem focused, it still provided me with some direction so thank you! :smile:

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending