The Student Room Group

MOOCs

Can you say that you have completed a MOOC and put it on your personal statement etc if you cannot access the certificate due to having to pay.
I've completely finished two MOOCs and it says I've done all of the process etc but I can't get the physical/online certificate without paying.
Original post by jilliams44
Can you say that you have completed a MOOC and put it on your personal statement etc if you cannot access the certificate due to having to pay.
I've completely finished two MOOCs and it says I've done all of the process etc but I can't get the physical/online certificate without paying.

Yes! I completed a MOOC last summer and then wrote about it in my PS without paying for a certificate. Unis (in my experience, including Oxford) don't actually check if you've done it and got the certificate, they are interested in what you learned and took away from completing them.
Original post by jilliams44

Hi there 👋,

First of all well done on taking the initiative to complete some MOOC's!
Universities do not tend to ask for proof of things you have mentioned in your personal statement, as long as you are honest. I would suggest maybe screenshotting the part of the course that shows completion, just for your personal record, or in case a university does ask for it. I would also love to suggest the open university site, they have multiple free online courses, which have downloadable certificates at the end of the course. You do not have to be a student with them to complete them, and they are great for personal statements, CVs, and discussions in interviews! Simply open an account and pick a free online course.

Good luck, hope this advice helps!
Hannah - 1st Year Mental Health Nursing Student
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending