The Student Room Group

What tips would you share to help someone write a personal statement?

Devising your personal statement to apply to university can feel like a daunting task, and those who have already taken the steps to apply to university will remember all the planning and prep that went into this process. :albertein:

So, for those who have already applied to uni, what are the top tips you’d like to share with others to help them feel more confident and ready to go when writing their personal statement?

We’ve recently shared our Personal Statement Guidance Hub for 2024 Entry as a one-stop-shop for helpful advice and guidance to get you started, but if you’re someone who has recently submitted your application and has come out the other side a little wiser you might have some of your own personal tips, tricks, and insights to share that could be invaluable to someone taking those next steps on their journey. :grin:

Here are some example questions to help get you started:

If you applied to two different courses - how did you make your personal statement work for this?

How did you include details of your extracurricular activities but make them relevant to your application?

What did you find most helpful when preparing to write your personal statement?

Even if you just have some words of encouragement, share your thoughts and advice below!

Happy posting :headbang:
Hi all,

Surely, writing your personal statement can be scary :jacko:.
As someone studying an MA, my top tips would be:

When you write it, think of it as an introduction of yourself for someone who doesn't know you at all. Be original, honest and simply yourself. Your life experience, where you come from, etc. all matter, try including them. Think about the flow of the text; try making it fluid and telling a person about you and why you want to do what you're applying for.
What I did for mine was write everything down and then gradually cut it down and made it concise. Cherry-picked the parts I felt described me best. Always proofread, show it to a few other people and have confidence; you should be good to go!

To answer a question: How did you include details of your extracurricular activities but make them relevant to your application?
I would recommend instead of stating your activities directly, write about what skills or lessons you learnt from it; how you have applied them in your life so far and how they will help further during education or in general.

Hope this helps!
Best of Luck!

-Tejaswini
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by CamembertPaws
Devising your personal statement to apply to university can feel like a daunting task, and those who have already taken the steps to apply to university will remember all the planning and prep that went into this process. :albertein:

So, for those who have already applied to uni, what are the top tips you’d like to share with others to help them feel more confident and ready to go when writing their personal statement?

We’ve recently shared our Personal Statement Guidance Hub for 2024 Entry as a one-stop-shop for helpful advice and guidance to get you started, but if you’re someone who has recently submitted your application and has come out the other side a little wiser you might have some of your own personal tips, tricks, and insights to share that could be invaluable to someone taking those next steps on their journey. :grin:

If you applied to two different courses - how did you make your personal statement work for this?

How did you include details of your extracurricular activities but make them relevant to your application?

Even if you just have some words of encouragement, share your thoughts and advice below!

Also https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/hive-articles/writing-a-personal-statement-for-art-and-design-courses has loads of tips for creative course PSs

Extra points for the meme :u:

Some of my friends did lists beforehand of what they wanted to say, which is a decent idea. However, as this can lead to going over the word count, I would advise mapping out a rough idea (eg topic and transferrable skills) of what you want to say in each paragraph. Be honest, especially if they will interview you. I would also advise looking at the structure of other (good) personal statements and imitating it (not their wording mind, just the layout)
Original post by NoRJoke112233
Some of my friends did lists beforehand of what they wanted to say, which is a decent idea. However, as this can lead to going over the word count, I would advise mapping out a rough idea (eg topic and transferrable skills) of what you want to say in each paragraph. Be honest, especially if they will interview you. I would also advise looking at the structure of other (good) personal statements and imitating it (not their wording mind, just the layout)

This is some really good advice, thank you for sharing! whichever way works for the individual I think it's always a good idea to start with a list/bullet points or basic outline of what they want to say then build from there.

:biggrin:

Wow, love this! :heart:

Definitely great resources for those thinking about and applying through UCAS right now - I wish I had had a browse of TSR, when I was writing my own, some time ago...:biggrin:

I must confess it has been a few years (6 now! :eek:) since I wrote my personal statement. I remember at the time finding it hard to cut down and edit to what was the most relevant and necessary information (I can ramble a little when I'm passionate :colondollar:). This includes - as Edna and @PQ agree - NO QUOTES!:rofl2:

I would say one, general and a bit old but gold, tip would therefore be to EDIT, EDIT, EDIT! :cyber:
You can get a friend or teacher to look over what you have written to ensure that the basics, such as grammar and structure, are there. This also allows you to review what they understand from it and what would be the lasting impression from anyone reading it.:smartass:

Our wonderful (and now qualified!:yay:) Nursing Student, Emily :nurse:, has put together her top-tips and included some brill examples on how to really convey your passion for your subject area. Check out her advice here!

Also we, as Universities, sometimes have Personal Statement Advice available! For example, we have a guide put together by our wonderful Schools and Colleges team :cool:

Happy applying and I look forward to seeing all of your Top Tips!
Fire away with any questions:headfire:

-Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
Hello,

My name is Haya & I am a final year medical student.

I remember writing my personal statement as if it was yesterday, because medicine gets tons of applications every year, all from students with high predicted grades, so I really had to make my personal statement stand out.

My tips:

1. Go back to basics: ensure you have an introduction (with a thesis at the the end explaining what you want to pursue), a body, and a good conlusion.

2. Remember that it is your time to SHINE, it is your personal statement and make sure that in the first few paragraphs you are letting the reader know the student behind the paper!

3. Ensure that you speak about your work experience, extra curriculars, and previous jobs, but don't just speak about them, you have to reflect and explain how you have become a better candidate for this course (I use the rolfe model of reflection) . A quick example: I was a member of the badminton team, I learned about teamwork and time management, these skills are essential for a future doctor who would work with different members of the multidisplinary team.

4. Read different personal statements, you can find a few on UCAS. This will give you an idea of what a successful statement entails.

Finally, edit, review, read aloud and ensure your grammar and spelling are in check :yeah: You have got this !

Hope this helps,
Haya - MBBS5
Reply 8

Reading the "reading list" on a uni course you're interested is a great way to tailor your application for a course! Many Russell groups unis + Oxbridge put a lot of weight onto how much you know about the subject and how well -read you are
Original post by NoRJoke112233
I would advise mapping out a rough idea (eg topic and transferrable skills)

Most universities tell us that they don't want to see you spending time explicitly talking about skills. (The only university I know who has doubled-down against this is Oxford Brookes.) Universities tell us that they can infer the skills you gain from your DofE award, NCS, volunteering etc without you wasting characters on "this improved my intra-personal skills" in your PS.

I've always advised applicants against including them (unless you connect to the course studied, which Haya's @UCLan Student very explicitly has done). As I say, most unis I'm aware of discourage talking about skills in your PS. Oxford Brookes has actively encouraged it despite me questioning them three times about it.
One thing that helps enormously with spotting typos and grammar errors - READ IT OUT LOUD

or even better give it to someone else and ask then to read it out loud to you. Every time I do this I end up rewording something that wasn’t quite worded right or spotting a typo.
If you don’t have someone you can ask then get your phone or alexa to read it out to you.
Hi everyone! :h:

For anyone currently writing their personal statement, I thought I would share my top tips!

- Make sure your personality shows through in your personal statement and shows your interests and passions for what you'd like to study!

Whoever might be reading your statement and application would love to hear about why you're interested in the course you're applying for and how you personally have a passion for that subject and learn who you are as a person! :cool:

- Show off those extracurricular activities and extra skills!

Making sure you include information about your relevant activities, volunteering, additional courses outside of your current studies helps the universities to learn more about what you're doing to go the extra mile and stand out from other applicants :smile:

- Check it once, twice, three times, and again, and with anyone else that can read your application for you!

It's never ever a bad idea to check your application again and again....! Doing so will help catch any spelling/grammatical errors, ensure it flows well, and catch anything you might want to add/remove! Even better if you can get a few people to look it over too and give you both some positive and constructive feedback on your personal statement to help you make the best application you can... After all, you want to make it count! :wink:

Good luck with all of your UCAS applications! If you have any more questions feel free to reach out!

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :h:
Hello!
My advice would be to not only talk about the degree you are applying for but also talk about extra curricular activities you do outside of school that aid you in the being the confident amazing person you are. For example, if you play a musical instrument (shows you are committed and good at learning things) or if you enjoy singing and are able to perform in front of an audience (shows confidence and you are able to present in front of an audience - something you may be asked to do at university (the presentation not the singing)). All these small things you do outside of school show commitment to something and confidence!

Thanks, Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hey everyone

I'm Will, a Media Production student from Bournemouth University.
Writing your personal statement isn't easy, especially as your are talking about yourself.
The biggest tip I would give it just be yourself, the admissions team will want to see your personality and the kind of person you are.
They also want to see your passion for the course you're applying for. Take my course for example, I could say about a film that inspired me to want to create an experience for others like the one I felt watching that film.

And try not to use cliche's like "since a young age...' they have seen that thousands of times. Use language that sets you apart from others, but please don't ChatGPT it, it is so obvious!.

I hope this helps
Will - BU Student Rep
Keep paragraphs short.

One of the most overlooked aspects of a PS is readability. If you keep your paragraphs punchy you great increase the chances of a reader picking out your shining examples of what they are looking for.

There is nothing more demoralising than seeing a PS which maxes out the character count and is delivered as one or two sprawling paragraphs. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Original post by Admit-One
Keep paragraphs short.

One of the most overlooked aspects of a PS is readability. If you keep your paragraphs punchy you great increase the chances of a reader picking out your shining examples of what they are looking for.

There is nothing more demoralising than seeing a PS which maxes out the character count and is delivered as one or two sprawling paragraphs. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Yes, and on paragraphing, keep one topic in one paragraph. Don't go way off piste in one paragraph and then refer to the original point two paragraph's later. It's bear jarring (to paraphrase my pupils).
Reply 16

start planning it as soon as you can. You don't have to have the full 3000 limit met within 10 minutes, but it's best to start planning it early and that way you can spend more time developing your reasoning for why you're such a good applicant.

get subject-specific teachers to help if you can to make sure you're putting it in helpful and relevant information.

ask family for help but don't rely on what they say - if they say that you're helpful and good with organisation, come up with a real-world example that's relevant (but keep in mind the character limit)

it's okay to go over the limit and cut things out, just make sure that any changes still make sense.

include any relevant work experience, employment or volunteering, (even if you feel it may be necessary), as it may be something you could contribute to the university, (aka more appealing to admissions staff), even hobbies.

if the course is an extension of what you are already studying (such as history or maths), you could mention your favourite aspect of the course (link it to any work experience/employment if you can) and how you want to learn more about that particular thing within the university course.

be honest

whilst your referees do have to write positively about you, they can still check your qualifications,volunteering, employment etc, so you shouldn't be too OTT

It's essentially a little introductory speech about why you are and why they should want you.
Original post by HEXNGRUS

start planning it as soon as you can. You don't have to have the full 3000 limit met within 10 minutes, but it's best to start planning it early and that way you can spend more time developing your reasoning for why you're such a good applicant.

get subject-specific teachers to help if you can to make sure you're putting it in helpful and relevant information.

ask family for help but don't rely on what they say - if they say that you're helpful and good with organisation, come up with a real-world example that's relevant (but keep in mind the character limit)

it's okay to go over the limit and cut things out, just make sure that any changes still make sense.

include any relevant work experience, employment or volunteering, (even if you feel it may be necessary), as it may be something you could contribute to the university, (aka more appealing to admissions staff), even hobbies.

if the course is an extension of what you are already studying (such as history or maths), you could mention your favourite aspect of the course (link it to any work experience/employment if you can) and how you want to learn more about that particular thing within the university course.

be honest

whilst your referees do have to write positively about you, they can still check your qualifications,volunteering, employment etc, so you shouldn't be too OTT

It's essentially a little introductory speech about why you are and why they should want you.

Generally agreeing with this, however:
- I wouldn't include things like organisational skills. It's the type of thing universities tell us they don't want to see. (Apart from Oxford Brookes.)
- Keep work experience / hobbies brief unless they directly relate to the course of study.
- If the course is an extension of an existing school subject then its better to include things you have learnt in your own time outside of the school curriculum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending