The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help! (Medicine)

Can anyone give a template/ structure of their personal statement. What made you think your personal statement stood out?
Have you looked at how the PS is scored by your chosen universities?
Original post by PQ
Have you looked at how the PS is scored by your chosen universities?

Yes most of the unis Im applying do look at it and some use to give final approval
Original post by revadz9
Can anyone give a template/ structure of their personal statement. What made you think your personal statement stood out?

There’s examples personal statements on studential.con
Original post by revadz9

Its almost impossible to stand out theres been too many applications and everything’s done already the best thing to do is make yours cover all the points you need as a doctor - use a source e.g. a book make it professional but personal, don’t cover too many things so it doesn’t sound like a glorified list - if you name something e.g. empathy give an example from work experience for example
Hello,

The way I did it was I divided my essay into 5 different paragraphs:

Introduction: I spoke about why I was to study medicine and why it is the right course for me.

Body 1: I dwelled into detail about why medicine and what attributes I have to make me a suitable candidate.

Body 2: I spoke about my work experience and linked it to the characteristics I have (using the good medical practice as reference)

Body 3: I spoke about school activities like being in a team and linked it to how this will allow me to work in a MDT (multidisciplinaryteam)

Conclusion: summarising what I have talked about

My top advice would be to have a look at previous medical personal statements to have a feel of what it is like. I'll attach a website!
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/personal-statement/medicine-personal-statement-examples/

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions,
Haya Nasser
MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending