The Student Room Group

Work experience for vet school - what did you do?

I have a year to get as much work experience as I can. I’m wondering what types of work experience is valued the most by vet schools and what everybody did?
So far I have 2 weeks in an exotic animal sanctuary
2 weeks abroad (Bulgaria) in a stray dog sanctuary
Every Saturday morning stable work for 6 months
2 weeks work experience at 2 different vets

I may possibly have a Friday placement at PDSA head office. This isn’t working directly with animals - more working with vets “behind the scenes”, doing fundraising, charity work, and POSSIBLY some research. Would this be desirable by vet schools? Or would they prefer direct work with animals?

I’m also looking into getting some lambing done next spring, it’s too late to apply this year as everywhere near me is full.
Original post by JasmineGlanv47
I have a year to get as much work experience as I can. I’m wondering what types of work experience is valued the most by vet schools and what everybody did?

I may possibly have a Friday placement at PDSA head office. This isn’t working directly with animals - more working with vets “behind the scenes”, doing fundraising, charity work, and POSSIBLY some research. Would this be desirable by vet schools? Or would they prefer direct work with animals?

I’m also looking into getting some lambing done next spring, it’s too late to apply this year as everywhere near me is full.

There's the shiny work experience thread :smile:
Sounds like what you have done is good!
I applied in October 2017 and did the following pre-application:
2 weeks small animal vets
1 week mixed animal vets (didn’t see much large animal at all, only those that came into the practice)
1 day veterinary physiotherapy practice
just under 3 weeks animal sanctuary
1 week donkey sanctuary
1 week kennels
1 week stables
1 week equine vet
2 weeks dairy farm

Post application:1 week mixed animal practice1 week lambing (yet to come!)
(edited 6 years ago)
They really value a mix, quality over quantity, so you are doing pretty well. Main gap in what you have done so far would be a dairy farm and some more vet experience, ideally large animal as well as small. A day or two in an abattoir is always worth having too if you can get it.

Reply 4
I did:
7 weeks at 5 different vet practices (small, mixed and equine).
1 week dairy farm
1 week lambing
1 day poultry farm
1 day pig farm
10 days kennels
Every Saturday at a riding school for the last 5 years.
Every Wednesday at the Blue Cross in their equine section for 12 ish weeks

I’ve also got more time at the pig farm booked and 2 days at an abattoir! I’ve applied for 2018 entry.

What I personally did:
Completed prior to application:
Clinical:
1 Week - Small Animal Veterinary Hospital
9.1 Weeks - Small Animal Exotics Vet (ongoing placement over 23 months)
1.1 Weeks - Small Animal Veterinary Practice
1 Week - Small Animal Veterinary Practice
1 Week - Small Animal Veterinary Practice

Husbandry:
1 Week - Pets at Home
6.2 Weeks - Riding Stable / Livery Yard (~50 Horses)
21.0 Weeks - Urban Rare Breeds Farm Park (ongoing placement over 25 months)
15 Afternoons - Dairy Farm
1 Week - Dog and Cat Grooming Salon / Pet Shop
1 Week - Quarantine Kennel/Cattery
1.8 Weeks - Lambing (~1200 ewes)
1.8 Weeks - Lambing (~320 ewes)
1 Week - Biological Services Unit, Royal Veterinary College
2 Weeks - Animal Rescue Centre
1 Week - Wildlife Park

Completed after application submitted:
Clinical:
1 Week - Large Animal Vet

Husbandry:
2.8 Weeks - Lambing
0.6 Weeks - Sheep farm

Total: 56.7 weeks

What you have so far is a great start and meets the requirements of many universities. I would suggest prioritising more 'mundane' placements from now; it's fantastic that you have exotics stuff as that will make your stand out, but at interview you're more likely to be asked about some of the more 'bread and butter' vet work, i.e. farms. I would recommend dairy if you can get to one :smile:

If there's no work with animals then this won't count on the work experience questionnaires. It would be possible to use this as another extracurricular involvement to mention on your personal statement, however.

Many people end up having to travel for lambing, which actually works out better as you can get a bit more involved if you're living on-site I find. Many places are able to offer accommodation for free/in return for your work :smile:

But yes going next year would be good if you can't get it this time around :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
What I had done:
5 years stable hand
1 year small animal veterinary evening clinics
1 week different riding school
3 weeks equine clinic
6 days mixed vets
1 week mixed (mostly large animals)
Lambing season
6 months kennel and cattery job
1 week dairy farm
1 week Norbrook (veterinary pharmaceutical)

It's good to have a variety of experiences to draw on. I k ow sometimes it can be hard to get certain placements, but it's always worth applying and asking everywhere :smile:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
What I had done:
5 years stable hand
1 year small animal veterinary evening clinics
1 week different riding school
3 weeks equine clinic
6 days mixed vets
1 week mixed (mostly large animals)
Lambing season
6 months kennel and cattery job
1 week dairy farm
1 week Norbrook (veterinary pharmaceutical)

It's good to have a variety of experiences to draw on. I k ow sometimes it can be hard to get certain placements, but it's always worth applying and asking everywhere :smile:

Haven't seen you around the forums in ages, I hope you're good!

Does the above mean that you ended up reapplying for vet? :holmes:

Off topic I know :ninja:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Haven't seen you around the forums in ages, I hope you're good!

Does the above mean that you ended up reapplying for vet? :holmes:

Off topic I know :ninja:

I seen the name! Haven't been around much until recently! Glad you remembered me 😄

Applied and didn't get in. All I got was "it's just bad luck" from the universities so. Ahhh.

Changed my route to Paramedic science, though my heart is still set on veterinary so the chances of me applying again are high! What about you?
Reply 9
These are all really great ideas! I have a pretty basic (but hopefully not stupid) question as I'm just starting to really dedicate myself to the work experience part of my application. So far I've just volunteered at a local cat and dog shelter and shadowed a few different kinds of vets throughout college. How did you get started with the experiences you listed? Do you just call/email places around where you live? I really want to get started but need a little guidance as to how to get my foot in the door.
Original post by kadon13
These are all really great ideas! I have a pretty basic (but hopefully not stupid) question as I'm just starting to really dedicate myself to the work experience part of my application. So far I've just volunteered at a local cat and dog shelter and shadowed a few different kinds of vets throughout college. How did you get started with the experiences you listed? Do you just call/email places around where you live? I really want to get started but need a little guidance as to how to get my foot in the door.

Read the work experience sticky on this forum, it’s really informative. Just google vets/farms/kennels round you and call them asking for work experience. Once you’ve been to a few vets/farms in your area they start to recommend places which will take you and you’ll meet other hopeful vets and vet students who know where you should try. Good luck!
Original post by kadon13

I just emailed as many different places as possible, some of who then asked me to ring them. I got most of my contacts from just looking up places in my local area on yell.com - don't be disheartened if you don't have loads of replies, just aim to get yourself out there. Some of my placements I was then able to organise by chatting to people at work experience but some of it I think is luck and depends on where you live. As I'm sure you've read, the most important thing is to aim for as much variety as you can in your placements to help you stand out. Best of luck!
Original post by kadon13

The easiest way is to email but it is by far the least effective, it takes seconds to write an email and copy and paste it to every vet practice in the local area - and they know that. At the end of the day they are taking students out of their own good will to encourage further good practice off their own back.

Visiting in person, phone call or a combination of both is the most effective way of gaining a placement. Physically turning up shows a level of commitment and can make a greater impression - not to mention it is harder to say no to someone in person than via email.

I couldn't even give an exact figure of my work experience when I applied now I can't fully remember but it was somewhere around 25 weeks if I remember

Think around 4 weeks lambing
8 weeks dairy
3 weeks farm practice
1 week stables
Few days with a farrier
Few days in an abattoir
Two weeks in a kennel and cattery - this ended up becoming a full time job in my gap year
Then probably about 6 weeks small animal practice though this was split with a few days a week over a period of months.
Reply 13
Original post by stimtothesky
Read the work experience sticky on this forum, it’s really informative. Just google vets/farms/kennels round you and call them asking for work experience. Once you’ve been to a few vets/farms in your area they start to recommend places which will take you and you’ll meet other hopeful vets and vet students who know where you should try. Good luck!

Thank you so much! The forum was very informative:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by VMD100
The easiest way is to email but it is by far the least effective, it takes seconds to write an email and copy and paste it to every vet practice in the local area - and they know that. At the end of the day they are taking students out of their own good will to encourage further good practice off their own back.

Visiting in person, phone call or a combination of both is the most effective way of gaining a placement. Physically turning up shows a level of commitment and can make a greater impression - not to mention it is harder to say no to someone in person than via email.

I couldn't even give an exact figure of my work experience when I applied now I can't fully remember but it was somewhere around 25 weeks if I remember

Think around 4 weeks lambing
8 weeks dairy
3 weeks farm practice
1 week stables
Few days with a farrier
Few days in an abattoir
Two weeks in a kennel and cattery - this ended up becoming a full time job in my gap year
Then probably about 6 weeks small animal practice though this was split with a few days a week over a period of months.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending