The Student Room Group

Year 10 work experience

I've been trying to find work experience from February, and still haven't come across somewhere which offers work placements for year 10.

I dont mind any work experience in particular, I just want to get experience and skills from the workplace. I've looked at many places, and been turned down either because I'm still only 14 (and will be 14 by the time my placement starts), their placements are full or they don't have insurance.

I've looked in banks and most of my local charity shops, but most don't have insurance, and my local primary school is full.

My placement is in July, and I need to find a placement by May, but I'm quite lost and don't know where to go that would accept me. I just need some suggestions on where to go, as I don't want to be at school while everyone else is at work experience. Any advice?
Reply 1
would you be interested in somewhere with animals? A lot of charities and to an extent vet practices are more than willing for an extra pair of hands if youre prepared to get stuck in. I worked at my first vets at 14yo and that was only 4years ago so its deffo possible. otherwise look at getting a placement at a company that you have parents/family/parents of friends working at as youll have a contact then to get you in. good luck!
Reply 2
hi! im going through the same problem as OP and im interested in working with animals - ive been trying to contact goddards or something but cannot since its easter sunday+monday. what vets did you work for if you can recall?? and with the charities that somewhat have the theme w animals, how do i even like start with that how would i know
Original post by padded-quote
I've been trying to find work experience from February, and still haven't come across somewhere which offers work placements for year 10.
I dont mind any work experience in particular, I just want to get experience and skills from the workplace. I've looked at many places, and been turned down either because I'm still only 14 (and will be 14 by the time my placement starts), their placements are full or they don't have insurance.
I've looked in banks and most of my local charity shops, but most don't have insurance, and my local primary school is full.
My placement is in July, and I need to find a placement by May, but I'm quite lost and don't know where to go that would accept me. I just need some suggestions on where to go, as I don't want to be at school while everyone else is at work experience. Any advice?

heyy!
i'm also currently in yr 10 and i'm going to do my work experience in a carehome in june, so maybe you could try that?
if your local primary school is full, maybe you could try other primary schools or even pre-schools/nurseries?
Reply 4
haha, im also doing mine on june what a coincidence * i havent bothered contacting my local primary school as i just got a feeling its already full, im thinking of maybe contacting my old playgroup place but overall im still in no luck as everywhere ive been contacting requires minimum age of 16 and ive got a deadline till the end of the easter break, i guess wherever life takes me
Original post by kirkl
haha, im also doing mine on june what a coincidence * i havent bothered contacting my local primary school as i just got a feeling its already full, im thinking of maybe contacting my old playgroup place but overall im still in no luck as everywhere ive been contacting requires minimum age of 16 and ive got a deadline till the end of the easter break, i guess wherever life takes me

maybe you could also try charity shops or local cafes if that interests you?
Reply 6
tbf i just dont have an interest in working in them places, like i know its good for you but then again theres barely customers around and it’ll just be me standing around doing absolutely nothing. i did just send an email to waterstones, so hopefully they get back to me w good news

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending