The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2020 Entry

Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, so please be gentle with me.

I know, I'm well in advance here, but I'm a mature student currently partaking in an Open Uni Natural Sciences Degree with a heavy biology part..... My degree title will be BSc Natural Sciences-Biology.

Basically, although academically bright, I didn't do well with my A levels as I was suffering through a huge bout of depression at the time (2007-2008) and went trough a self destructive phase, but my dream has always been medicine.
After having my two children, I decided to try and pursue the dream and started doing the above mentioned degree in 2015....I am expected to graduate in Aug 2020..... I'm aiming for a 1st, and have no reason to suspect I'll get anything less.
So, now, I'm battling through this degree and looking at Med schools for GEM, looking at the current and previous year entry points and have narrowed it down to 5 that will accept students based purely on academic results at degree and don't include A level (obviously interview, work experience, GAMSAT or BMAT or UKCAT withstanding).

After totally botching up my A-levels 10 years ago, I am absolutely determined to flourish as I should have done in order to get a place for GEM, which means I'm studying and planning everything in advance (literally talking 3 year plans now), to try and succeed.

My questions are:
-Will doing a degree with the OU have a negative impact on my application, even if I end up with a 1st? (I know for instance with the Imperial C London, they require a checklist to be completed and signed to say that the required topics have been studied etc)
-When should I be sitting the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT? If I apply by October 2019 deadline, do I sit the exams in the Summer of 2019? Or by the summer of 2019? As I think the GAMSAT/ BMAT results don't come back until after the October 2019 application deadline?
-Is it too early to buy the GAMSAT gold books? Is each edition only relevant to the year you plan to test? Or will I find it beneficial to order previous year textbooks? I'm just cringing at the £200 price tag and will buy it if it helps, but if its pointless until the actual test year, its an awful lot of money to throw away.
-Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and been successful? Am i doing this OU degree with absolutely zero hope of making it into medicine? Bearing in mind that I'll be 31 by the time my course starts, so haven't exactly got loads of time on my hands, particularly if I choose to go down a surgical route..... It would be nice to make consultant before I'm due to retire :biggrin:

I'm sorry for the complicated post, I'm just feeling a little panicked that I won't make it

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I just wanted to drop a message to say that I am in exactly the same position as you. I am also doing a natural science degree with the open university. I'm also on the biology pathway as well. I am also going to graduate in 2019 and I too also hope to enter medical school when I am 31 in 2020. I also didn't do well in my a-levels.It's a little weird that I've found someone else in literally the same position as I am. The closest ive gotten to anyone else doing anything remotely close is a lady getting a degree to do veterinary medicine as a degree afterwards. I met her at the 3 day laboratory school. Which med schools are you looking at??I'm leaning more towards to:s-smilie:t Georges (Large London intake)Kings (London)Warwick (Largest intake)Nottingham (2.2 intake)Personally I would rather stay in London. The reason I'm not picking Imperial is because of their 5 year graduate course and I don't know how to pay for that. I'm also not picking Barts is because they have a specification on their website that says that your degree has to be studied within a 'normal' timescale. I'm reading that as 3 years and I'd rather not waste one of my choices on a school that I'm not likely to get into. What module are you studying next. I'm studying s295 - biology of survival. and SD329- signals and perceptions.Drop me a message it would be great to talk to someone in the same boat as me
Reply 2
Im starting my undergrad this year an hope to apply for medicine in 2020 as well
Original post by mrstlc13
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, so please be gentle with me.

I know, I'm well in advance here, but I'm a mature student currently partaking in an Open Uni Natural Sciences Degree with a heavy biology part..... My degree title will be BSc Natural Sciences-Biology.

Basically, although academically bright, I didn't do well with my A levels as I was suffering through a huge bout of depression at the time (2007-2008) and went trough a self destructive phase, but my dream has always been medicine.
After having my two children, I decided to try and pursue the dream and started doing the above mentioned degree in 2015....I am expected to graduate in Aug 2020..... I'm aiming for a 1st, and have no reason to suspect I'll get anything less.
So, now, I'm battling through this degree and looking at Med schools for GEM, looking at the current and previous year entry points and have narrowed it down to 5 that will accept students based purely on academic results at degree and don't include A level (obviously interview, work experience, GAMSAT or BMAT or UKCAT withstanding).

After totally botching up my A-levels 10 years ago, I am absolutely determined to flourish as I should have done in order to get a place for GEM, which means I'm studying and planning everything in advance (literally talking 3 year plans now), to try and succeed.

My questions are:
-Will doing a degree with the OU have a negative impact on my application, even if I end up with a 1st? (I know for instance with the Imperial C London, they require a checklist to be completed and signed to say that the required topics have been studied etc)
-When should I be sitting the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT? If I apply by October 2019 deadline, do I sit the exams in the Summer of 2019? Or by the summer of 2019? As I think the GAMSAT/ BMAT results don't come back until after the October 2019 application deadline?
-Is it too early to buy the GAMSAT gold books? Is each edition only relevant to the year you plan to test? Or will I find it beneficial to order previous year textbooks? I'm just cringing at the £200 price tag and will buy it if it helps, but if its pointless until the actual test year, its an awful lot of money to throw away.
-Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and been successful? Am i doing this OU degree with absolutely zero hope of making it into medicine? Bearing in mind that I'll be 31 by the time my course starts, so haven't exactly got loads of time on my hands, particularly if I choose to go down a surgical route..... It would be nice to make consultant before I'm due to retire :biggrin:

I'm sorry for the complicated post, I'm just feeling a little panicked that I won't make it

It depends on the uni, although I know someone who posted that they got into Aberdeen to study medicine via an undergrad in an OU degree
You sit the UKCAT in 2019 (between June and October), the BMAT has to be sat in 2019 also (with 2 testing dates, I think you can only sit it once as well in a cycle). However the GAMSAT can be sat in March/September of 2018 or 2019 and you can sit it more than once and submit your best mark.
Don't spend your time panicking, be confident and if you truly apply yourself fully to the task at hand you'll suceed
Im not sure aboutwhat books to use etc since Im unsure as to whether I should apply for 4 or 5 year entry courses
You don't have zero hope, you're on the right track, just dont trip up on the final hurdles (like I did :/)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello Guys, im also planning on entry in 2020 too, and 2019 if possible, but I want to get a years experience working as a nurse to improve my application. Im a second year nursing student, going to be sitting the GAMSAT in September hopefully! starting my study next week. Visited an open day today at St Georges, was skeptical about entry as a nursing graudate.

Turns out some nursing grads have made it on to the GEM programme. Going to aim for a 1st, try to get the highest possible score on GAMSAT! hopefully above 70 so that I have a better chance of getting in! competition is tough! and you have to prove yourself at interview, however its more than possible! Alot of non science grads are applying and acceptance of humanities subjects is atleast 30-40%! The rest are science related, so biomed etc. Put the work in folks! get a high gamsat! smash your degrees! AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL AND FULFIL YOUR DREAMS!

DON't LET PEOPLE TELL YOU THINGS, find out for yourself, ask people, go and visit the University.
Hiya! Also looking to start in GEM in 2020. I'm just finishing by BA (Humanities subject and will probably get a 2:1) this year and will be starting an MSc (Humanities though some Med students may be on my course) this September. My GCSEs were good but my A-Levels leave much to be desired for and I come from a non-science background. I really want to get in at Nottingham as I already live up north and the area is beautiful.

My mother used to 'pester' me to give Medicine a go again after I initially gave up my dreams of studying medicine at 17. Found out about Graduate entry so here I am! I'm hoping to get some work experience between this summer and next summer, sit the GAMSAT next March (and retake in September if I do poo), save plenty of money.

Hope I can find some other people in the same boat as I, who do not have a science background and whose grades are not amazing. I have this constant fear of being rejected for not being good enough and the lack of non science background GEM entrant experiences is giving me a bit of a head ache. I'm just glad my family is mostly supportive of my plans!
Another potential 2020 GEM applicant. Maybe 2021 as I might get a years experience which would allow me to work as a bank nurse.
Studying adult nursing.
A levels ABA*
GCSEs 8A 1B

So far considering:
Swansea
Warwick
Birmingham
Dundee/St Andrews

Would go anywhere, but can't afford London

Really need to hammer ukcat and gamsat

Placements so far:
Nursing home
Discharge planning
General surgery

Also work as a care assistant and play worker and plan to carry on til end of degree
Original post by StudentnurseSOS
Another potential 2020 GEM applicant. Maybe 2021 as I might get a years experience which would allow me to work as a bank nurse.
Studying adult nursing.
A levels ABA*
GCSEs 8A 1B

So far considering:
Swansea
Warwick
Birmingham
Dundee/St Andrews

Would go anywhere, but can't afford London

Really need to hammer ukcat and gamsat

Placements so far:
Nursing home
Discharge planning
General surgery

Also work as a care assistant and play worker and plan to carry on til end of degree

I would definitely suggest working for a year. It makes life so much easier (financially) but also gives you experience which makes the course easier.
Original post by ForestCat
I would definitely suggest working for a year. It makes life so much easier (financially) but also gives you experience which makes the course easier.

That's what I was leaning towards anyway. I've gone into nursing straight from school, and 7 years of uni on the trot would be too much. I've had a look on some other forums and it seems like graduate entry med prefers nurses with a bit of experience.

Although I'll still have to get on the gamsat/ukcat as I think that'll need work and could be the blockade to medicine for me
Reply 8
Thought I’d bump the thread, I’m hoping to go to Swansea or Nottingham in 2020. Gonna sit the GAMSAT in September, I hope 2 months is enough time to prep!
Hello , I am considering applying for graduate medicine but I'm not sure I will get accepted ! My profile is :

GCSE : 4 A*'s and 7 A'S
A level : A*A*A

I am studying chemistry at university and I got 75% in second year. I have 5 weeks experience in hospitals/GP but my volunteering is limited. I have volunteered with disabled children for two years and that's it !

Do you think I have a chance ?

Thanks ! :smile:
In terms of academic requirements, without a shadow of a doubt you definitely have a chance as long as you get a 2:1 overall, but be mindful of the fact that some grad courses require you to hold a life-science degree, but i think many will take chemistry (just check beforehand). Experience also sounds good but some uni's are very specific about the work experience you offer and how recent it was so make sure its fairly recent. Warwick are quite particular about how many hours each experience should be so definitely read into that before deciding where to apply. Other than that, all you need to do is ace your admissions tests.
Original post by TeaganSavoy
Hiya! Also looking to start in GEM in 2020. I'm just finishing by BA (Humanities subject and will probably get a 2:1) this year and will be starting an MSc (Humanities though some Med students may be on my course) this September. My GCSEs were good but my A-Levels leave much to be desired for and I come from a non-science background. I really want to get in at Nottingham as I already live up north and the area is beautiful.

My mother used to 'pester' me to give Medicine a go again after I initially gave up my dreams of studying medicine at 17. Found out about Graduate entry so here I am! I'm hoping to get some work experience between this summer and next summer, sit the GAMSAT next March (and retake in September if I do poo), save plenty of money.

Hope I can find some other people in the same boat as I, who do not have a science background and whose grades are not amazing. I have this constant fear of being rejected for not being good enough and the lack of non science background GEM entrant experiences is giving me a bit of a head ache. I'm just glad my family is mostly supportive of my plans!

Hey! Glad to have found someone in the same boat as me! And I've only just stumbled across this post! But I'm an American Studies and History graduate (got a 2:1), and I'm starting my MA in September. The medical field has always interested me but my A level grades were not good enough to do a medicine degree (ABC), and I honestly didn't know there was a graduate medicine scheme until after I had already been accepted for my MA studies, so I'm looking to go into the GEM in either 2020 or 2021!

I'm looking at going for Nottingham as well, well it’s based in Derby, because I don’t live too far away from that area and I am studying my MA over in Nottingham. I did some volunteer work back on a local children's ward 2 years ago now over the summer so I hopefully will be able to get back to volunteering or at least find some work in the health care field!

I have this fear of not going to be good enough due to my non-science/health background, and the fact its been over 5 years since I studied any sort of biology/chemistry. That's why I feel I may need to give myself more time to prepare and perhaps not apply for entry until 2021 (I know that seems so far away and I'll be 26 by the time that come around...is that 'too old' to do the course or does anyone else know if they get many mature students on the GEM course that come from varied background?

Also I'm slightly worried about the student finance situation. As I have had funding for both my BA and MA does this affect funding for the GEM?

Thanks in advance and it was so nice to stumble across this thread!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
the fast track 4 year GEM programmes are covered by a mixture of student finance and NHS bursary, except £3500 of the first academic fees which you have to self fund.
Reply 13
I'm in the same position as you, 2nd year nursing student this year in September 2018 and hopefully will be applying for medicine for September 2020 once I graduate in the summer of 2020. I've started to look at the entrance exams (UKCAT, BMAT and GAMSAT) and which unis I want go to, but I still haven't been to open days.Honestly, nurses are so underrated! GEM looks for a sciency background, which nursing does have, but a lot of people see nursing as a more social degree (it's not... its called Bsc for a reason.. Bachelor of Science). What nurses 'lack' in science or theory, we make up for patient contact and compassion for our patients, which most other science degrees like biomed or biology or chemistry lack as they don't have patient contact in their degree. Even though understanding the science and theory is important, so is understanding the person with the condition, and that's what we nurses already know how to do. We just need to solidify and add on our knowledge on science and theory. I hope you do well in nursing and get into medicine! Good luck!!
Hey guys,

Just starting to consider and properly look into GEM for 2020. I'm literally at the very start of the journey, only just starting to look into which universities so any general advice would be fantastic.

I have a high 2:1 non science degree... Currently working on getting some work experience while juggling a 9-5. Must be loads of people in my situation so it would be great to speak to some people.

I've seen some people mention about applying for 3x GEM's (4 years) and one 5 year, just wondering how that works. Are you applying with A-levels or your degree, etc...

Also, where the hell do you start with your GAMSAT? Just seems like a wall....

Thanks!
Original post by Volibear
List of all the 4 year graduate courses:
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/

See which ones you can/want to apply to and which you don't. That will determine if you have to sit the UKCAT, BMAT, GAMSAT or all three. How you apply depends on the entry requirements.

The main difference between the 4 year and 5 year courses (bar the length) is that the 4 year courses are fully funded except the first ~£3500, whilst the 5 year courses have to be paid out of your own pocket except for the 5th year. The 4 year courses are more competitive than the 5 year courses. So it's a rather bittersweet situation.

Thank you, I appreciate that! Does the list have all the GEM courses ? I was under the impression there were more..
Original post by Baselevel
Hey guys,

Just starting to consider and properly look into GEM for 2020. I'm literally at the very start of the journey, only just starting to look into which universities so any general advice would be fantastic.

I have a high 2:1 non science degree... Currently working on getting some work experience while juggling a 9-5. Must be loads of people in my situation so it would be great to speak to some people.

I've seen some people mention about applying for 3x GEM's (4 years) and one 5 year, just wondering how that works. Are you applying with A-levels or your degree, etc...

Also, where the hell do you start with your GAMSAT? Just seems like a wall....

Thanks!

Hey! 👋🏻 I’m in the same situation as you! I hold a 2:1 in a non-science degree, however I’m currently completing a MA at the moment (finish in June 2019) so I’m looking at starting the GEM in 2020!

Unfortunately due to having a degree in a non science subject this does limit us to what universities we can apply to, and it all depends if you prefer the UKCAT entry exam or the GAMSAT to which you apply to; the GAMSAT has a whole section on the sciences, so coming from a non-science background this would take a lot of preparation but considering you’re not applying until 2020 that will give you plenty of time to prepare! I’ve been told that looking over a-level resources is good for GAMSAT prep and even some 1st year of uni material, there’s some GAMSAT materials you can purchase as well I believe, I’m sure if you search the forums someone will have posted which is best to use 😊

You can apply to both 4 and 5 year courses, but like Volibear says you have to self-fund the 5 year course which is a huge financial undertaking! But this does make the 5 years ‘less competitive’ compared to the 4 year course for graduates, so if you could self fund then applying to 5 year courses opens up more universities you can apply to.

Luckily for work experience I hold a position at my local nhs trust so plenty of patient care and involvement! However, I understand that fitting it around a 9-5 job may be difficult; all universities have different amounts of work experience they require so maybe have a look into this too before deciding on what experience is right for you? (For example Warwick requires a minimum of 70 hours in a minimum of 2 different settings and only 20 hours of shadowing counts towards this total of 70 hours)

I hope some of that helps, but I understand the situation you’re in coming from that pesky non-science background!!
Original post by laurenashton94
Hey! 👋🏻 I’m in the same situation as you! I hold a 2:1 in a non-science degree, however I’m currently completing a MA at the moment (finish in June 2019) so I’m looking at starting the GEM in 2020!

Unfortunately due to having a degree in a non science subject this does limit us to what universities we can apply to, and it all depends if you prefer the UKCAT entry exam or the GAMSAT to which you apply to; the GAMSAT has a whole section on the sciences, so coming from a non-science background this would take a lot of preparation but considering you’re not applying until 2020 that will give you plenty of time to prepare! I’ve been told that looking over a-level resources is good for GAMSAT prep and even some 1st year of uni material, there’s some GAMSAT materials you can purchase as well I believe, I’m sure if you search the forums someone will have posted which is best to use 😊

You can apply to both 4 and 5 year courses, but like Volibear says you have to self-fund the 5 year course which is a huge financial undertaking! But this does make the 5 years ‘less competitive’ compared to the 4 year course for graduates, so if you could self fund then applying to 5 year courses opens up more universities you can apply to.

Luckily for work experience I hold a position at my local nhs trust so plenty of patient care and involvement! However, I understand that fitting it around a 9-5 job may be difficult; all universities have different amounts of work experience they require so maybe have a look into this too before deciding on what experience is right for you? (For example Warwick requires a minimum of 70 hours in a minimum of 2 different settings and only 20 hours of shadowing counts towards this total of 70 hours)

I hope some of that helps, but I understand the situation you’re in coming from that pesky non-science background!!

Hey there, thanks for the reply and the advice, I appreciate it. Which universities are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Baselevel
Hey there, thanks for the reply and the advice, I appreciate it. Which universities are you thinking of applying to?

Warwick, Nottingham, Swansea are in the top 3 I’m not sure about the 4th choice at the moment (this is based upon what I’ve read online) However, I’m going to Nottingham’s open day in a couple weeks to hopefully get a better insight into the uni and the course 😊 it all depends on GAMSAT and UKCAT of course!
Original post by laurenashton94
Warwick, Nottingham, Swansea are in the top 3 I’m not sure about the 4th choice at the moment (this is based upon what I’ve read online) However, I’m going to Nottingham’s open day in a couple weeks to hopefully get a better insight into the uni and the course 😊 it all depends on GAMSAT and UKCAT of course!

Nice, I was also looking into those three. For a fourth it seems as though sitting the UKCAT might be neccessary for me but not sure if that's feasible studying for UKCAT + GAMSAT + working 9/5 and getting work experience. I'm going to the Notts open day as well. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending