The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2019

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying!

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Economics?:
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi could a current student at Queen Mary studying economics give me a detailed review of it please? Is it a good course? How are the lectures? Is it very quantitative (the more the better!)? Are job prospects good? Is it enjoyable? I've heard bad stuff about it but its mainly about the campus. I dont care about that I just want to know how good their department is.

Thanks
Reply 2
Hi, I am just starting my A-Levels in math, physics and economics, and I want to do economics at uni. I was wondering if anyone who is doing economics at uni/hoping to do it can tell me any books/podcasts/lectures/etc. that I could do to help me with the A-level (I'm hoping for an A*) and help me get into uni for my personal statement (I'm looking at Oxford, LSE and Exeter).
Many thanks and any advice would be welcomed.
University choices: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds - unsure on 5th, maybe Edinburgh/Exeter/Manchester????
Subjects: Maths, Economics, English Lit
Predicted A2s: A*A*A (A in Maths)
AS: AAA
GCSE grades: 10A*s
Why Econ: really interested in international trade :smile:

If anyone could think of a good 5th option let me know (AAA or below for insurance)
Also if anyone knows which out of the Durham/Nottingham/Bristol courses are better let me know as they are all A*AA !!!!!!
Original post by jess384
Hi, I am just starting my A-Levels in math, physics and economics, and I want to do economics at uni. I was wondering if anyone who is doing economics at uni/hoping to do it can tell me any books/podcasts/lectures/etc. that I could do to help me with the A-level (I'm hoping for an A*) and help me get into uni for my personal statement (I'm looking at Oxford, LSE and Exeter).
Many thanks and any advice would be welcomed.

Look up the LSE digital library, I haven't listened to any but I know they record some of their lectures :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Loyle2017
Look up the LSE digital library, I haven't listened to any but I know they record some of their lectures :smile:

OK, thank you
Reply 6
you should apply for warwick with that profile tbh @Loyle2017
Original post by ARZ786
you should apply for warwick with that profile tbh @Loyle2017

Thank u, but I thought they might look down on my no further maths and A prediction in maths??????? I've heard they're really maths focused
University choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, Durham and LSE/UCL
Subjects currently studying: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*AA
AS grades: DAAB
GCSE grades: 9,8,8,A*,A,A,A,A,A,B,B
Why Economics?: The idea of scarcity and how we deal with it, is what interests me
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself: I got D and worked hard to get A. Hard work beats all!
Reply 9
University choices: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick
What subject(s) I studied?: Mathematics, Economics, Chemistry
Achieved A2 grades: A*AA with A* in Maths
GCSE grades: 4A* 2A 4B 1C. 4A*
Why Economics?: Economics graduates decreased by 10% last year, and demand has been always high for Economics graduates.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself: I'm in my Gap year so already have the grades.
University choices: UCL, Warwick, KCL, LSE/Nottingham/Bath, Bristol
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, Politics, Further Maths (AS)
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS grades: A (Predicted)
GCSE grades: 9, A*, A*, A*, A*, A*, A, A, 6, 6 (6A* 2A 2B)
Why Economics?: Not sure I can even explain this in just 4000 characters, to be honest, but the relevance of the subject to every other walk of life draws me to economics- studying economics allows you to study so many other subjects
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself: I don't like chocolate (that much)

Best of luck all!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by smhn
Hi could a current student at Queen Mary studying economics give me a detailed review of it please? Is it a good course? How are the lectures? Is it very quantitative (the more the better!)? Are job prospects good? Is it enjoyable? I've heard bad stuff about it but its mainly about the campus. I dont care about that I just want to know how good their department is.

Thanks

I just looked at this now. I don't know if it was a good or bad course. You can only experience your own university eh? :smile:
We did topics of microeconomics, maths for economics, statistics, macroeconomics, global economics (similar to macro but easier) and economics in action (computer).
The teaching is a 2 hour lecture and 1 hour class session per week per module. So you have 4 modules so its 12 hours a week of contact time.
This means I suppose it's meant to be mostly down to you to supplement that, according to the lecturers.
No one really knows how much extra work other people are doing, but I don't think most people spent much extra time...
The quantitative subjects were stats, maths, micro and a bit of macro. So it's probably a 40/60 split in terms of quantitative / non-quantitative.
Are job propects good? No idea. Guess we'll find out when I graduate, lol.
They have a careers service which attempts to try but it's still quite useless.
Is the subject enjoyable? Yeah mostly. There could be 2 crap lecturers but out of 6 lecturers it's not the end of the world.
2nd year QM econ student for 2018/2019 :smile:
University choices: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds - unsure on 5th, maybe Edinburgh/Exeter/Manchester????

If anyone could think of a good 5th option let me know (AAA or below for insurance)
Also if anyone knows which out of the Durham/Nottingham/Bristol courses are better let me know as they are all A*AA !!!!!!

Give oxford E+M a shot. oxford doesn't need A* in maths and you have amazing gcse grades!
Hi I’m doing maths business and welsh bacc
I got bbc at as level but will be resitting the C grade as I think I can do a lot better

Predicted to get AAA-AAB considering this what unis should I aim for?
Reply 14
University choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, LSE, Leeds/Nottingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Biology and done my EPQ (A*)
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A
AS grades: College doesn’t do AS
GCSE grades: 6 A*s, 9, 8, 2 As and a 6
Why Economics?: It’s ability to explain real world problems.
(edited 5 years ago)
University choices: Oxford, Warwick, Bristol, LSE and UCL
Subjects currently studying: Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Further Maths
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A (A Further Maths)
GCSE grades: 10 A* equiv (three 9s)
Why Economics?: It's blend of rigorous maths with discussion and debate
Reply 16
does anyone know how long it takes for UCL to let you know their decision?
Predicted A2: A* Maths, A biology, A chemistry
GCSE: All As (done only triple science and maths)+ GCSE english 5--I =ive moved to the uk at the age of 17 and and I've been studying in college so i didn't have many choices
Reply 17

city or royal holloway
Universities: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and Loughborough
Subjects: Maths, Economics and Biology (EPQ if you count that)
Predicted Grades: A*, A*, A (and A*)
GCSE grades: 9 A*'s and 2 A's (equiv)
Why Economics: Relevance to our world whilst utilising quantitative modelling

regret not doing further maths and doubt I will get into Cambridge
Y’all making me self conscious.. lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending