The Student Room Group

Reapply to Cambridge or go to LSE

I applied to Oxford for E&M but didn’t do too well on the TSA so got rejected. On the other hand, the good news is I got an offer from LSE. Should I stick with LSE or reapply to Cambridge Econ next year provided I get all 4A*s at a level. I feel that the TMUA would be more suited to my mathematical skills than the TSA (I do FM a level), but unsure to take that risk
Reply 1
Original post by apd25
I applied to Oxford for E&M but didn’t do too well on the TSA so got rejected. On the other hand, the good news is I got an offer from LSE. Should I stick with LSE or reapply to Cambridge Econ next year provided I get all 4A*s at a level. I feel that the TMUA would be more suited to my mathematical skills than the TSA (I do FM a level), but unsure to take that risk

Well, I did the TMUA for CS at Cambridge this year and it wasn't hard but there's an element of risk with the interview phase. While LSE may not have the same "dreamy spires" as Cambridge, LSE is AMAZING and if anything, it's harder to get into LSE than Cambridge. I've lost count of the number of times people have got into Oxbridge for various courses but then rejected from LSE. Not worth taking the risk of reapplying to Cambridge - I would just stick to LSE. It's a fab uni and it's Oxford's loss that they rejected you.

Stick with LSE. Getting 4 A*s at A level, while impressive, will not count for much more to an admissions tutor though you have grades in hand and if anything, they may ask you to sit the STEP (not too sure about this for Economics but I know someone who got an Engineering offer this year and got asked to get a grade 2 in STEP II after reapplying with 3 A stars in Maths, Physics and FM and an A in Chemistry) so that they know you haven't fallen off in your mathematical ability as I hear that Economics at Cambridge is a particularly mathematical course. From what I've heard and experienced myself, the admissions test is fine but at the interview is where they really really grill you in terms of questions asked so as I've already said, stick with LSE.

Congrats!
Reply 2
Bro what? LSE is as prestigious as Cambridge and getting into LSE is harder than getting into Cambridge! Lse is a good university idk whatever course you want to study but it also has ofc his dark side like the pressure and competition in mathematics courses !
Reply 3
Original post by Kei.rdl
Bro what? LSE is as prestigious as Cambridge and getting into LSE is harder than getting into Cambridge! Lse is a good university idk whatever course you want to study but it also has ofc his dark side like the pressure and competition in mathematics courses !

But that pressure is there at all top unis. Look at Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL etc so it's not really a dark side but obviously it's one of the things that will have to be dealt with.

No one wants to work as hard as this but no pain, no gain. You make a commitment when you accept an offer - to maintain that standard or do better than what you were. If you don't, you not only end up 30,000+ in debt but also you've wasted your time and it may impact your prospects after graduating.
Reply 4
Original post by vnayak
But that pressure is there at all top unis. Look at Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL etc so it's not really a dark side but obviously it's one of the things that will have to be dealt with.
No one wants to work as hard as this but no pain, no gain. You make a commitment when you accept an offer - to maintain that standard or do better than what you were. If you don't, you not only end up 30,000+ in debt but also you've wasted your time and it may impact your prospects after graduating.

Ucl, imperial, and lse vibes and pressure are not the same you can’t compare. Of course, you have to be the best and maintain the good reputation of the uni I don’t talk about that. I’m talking about pressure and toxic relationships between classmates. Talk to these students you will know
Reply 5
Original post by Kei.rdl
Ucl, imperial, and lse vibes and pressure are not the same you can’t compare. Of course, you have to be the best and maintain the good reputation of the uni I don’t talk about that. I’m talking about pressure and toxic relationships between classmates. Talk to these students you will know

I asked a few Imperial people about this on my interview day and it's only certain individuals whereas this is more pronounced at Oxbridge because of their achievement of getting accepted, which I agree is impressive but doesn't require bragging. I can't speak for LSE because I haven't been there but from what some family members have said who went there, again, it's only certain groups and/or individuals and it's made out to be a lot worse than it actually is.
Reply 6
Original post by apd25

Unless you really don't want to live in London or particularly dislike the LSE course, I'd go for LSE. Oxbridge admissions can be a wild card, and especially Cambridge with their greater focus on interviews. There's no guarantee you'll get into Cambridge next year. There is a fairly certain guarantee you can get into LSE this year.
In terms of course, LSE is definitely comparable to Cambridge for E&M. It's Imperial of social sciences! Probably the only area Cambridge beats LSE in is academic research, which is not something relevant to undergrads anyway
Original post by apd25

I think it's a massive risk to reject LSE on the hope that you might get into Cambridge.
LSE and Cambridge are on the same level from a reputation standpoint.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending