The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do a foundation course. You will be given money for you and your child to live off, as well as general money for student stuff like accomodation. You may be entitled to more money/bursaries. Commuting may not be ideal. You will also have to sit the UKCAT which you can easily prepare for, or the BMAT which will be harder as you need A-level science knowledge of chemistry.
Hi
I'm really hoping to study medicine. I would love to go to Dundee or St Andrews, but I'm not sure if my gcses are good enough. Making the largest assumption ever: assuming I get AAAA at AS, are 7 A*, 1 A and a C-(art) at gcse level going to hinder me getting an offer?

I'm really happy with these results, I just don't know if they're fine for universities, especially as I'm not sure if Dundee is gcse-heavy.
Original post by barnabusrudge
Hi
I'm really hoping to study medicine. I would love to go to Dundee or St Andrews, but I'm not sure if my gcses are good enough. Making the largest assumption ever: assuming I get AAAA at AS, are 7 A*, 1 A and a C-(art) at gcse level going to hinder me getting an offer?

I'm really happy with these results, I just don't know if they're fine for universities, especially as I'm not sure if Dundee is gcse-heavy.

The Dundee website says they rank school leavers 60% on academics (including AS levels, GCSEs etc) and 40% UKCAT. 7A*s and an A is pretty good imo, so if you get a decent UKCAT score too you should be fine to get an interview.
I got:

English lang-6
English Lit-6
Maths-9
Bio-A*
Chem-A
Physics-A
Spanish-A
Computer Sci-A
History- A
DT-B

Would I be able to get into med school and which school would be more likely to accept me ?
Reply 64
Original post by bbqchicken
I got:

English lang-6
English Lit-6
Maths-9
Bio-A*
Chem-A
Physics-A
Spanish-A
Computer Sci-A
History- A
DT-B

Would I be able to get into med school and which school would be more likely to accept me?

It depends on your A-level grades too, what are you predicted and what subjects are you taking?
Unfortunately almost all medical schools ask for an 8 in English Language. There are some that are more flexible. I would suggest Oxford and Cardiff t start with.
Original post by MMFM411
It depends on your A-level grades too, what are you predicted and what subjects are you taking?

I just started yr 12 so haven't gotten any predicted grades yet but I am doing Biology,Chemistry and maths for A level.
Reply 67
Original post by bbqchicken
I just started yr 12 so haven't gotten any predicted grades yet but I am doing Biology,Chemistry and maths for A level.

Well, you're definitely doing the right subjects... I'll just quote what Cambridge University say:

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure, and 8 and 9 are considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

Obviously, medicine is a competitive course everywhere you look, but you easily meet the criteria for strong unis such as Leeds (ask for 6 A*-B at GCSE and AAA at A-Level), look around and see what other unis offer... GCSEs really aren't everything (mine were a bit dodgy and after doing well at AS level, I received offers from top 5 unis to study maths)

My advice would be to work hard, and when it comes round to it, write an amazing personal statement (should be filled with books you've read, work experience, EPQ etc...)

Good Luck!
Original post by Shimmaraz
Unfortunately almost all medical schools ask for an 8 in English Language. There are some that are more flexible. I would suggest Oxford and Cardiff t start with.

Incorrect - ignore this
Reply 69
Hello everyone,
My name is Jenn and I have very recently (and abruptly) decided to study medicine in the UK. I graduated from an American Curriculum based high school with a 4.0 GPA (99.4) in 2018. From the little research I have done so far, I understand that most universities require 3 A levels (translates to a pretty high SAT and 3 APs, but im not too sure of this) and usually a BMAT/UKCAT (some universities don't require aforementioned tests from international students). Personally, I would prefer to study direct entry medicine and without the BMAT/UKCAT.
I understand I have very little time thus I'm enlisting the help of the friendly users on this site. If anyone can give me any pointers in regards to my current situation and just any general advice for international students and medicine in the uk, I would very appreciative.
Thank you for getting through all that haha <3
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JennAye
Hello everyone,
My name is Jenn and I have very recently (and abruptly) decided to study medicine in the UK. I graduated from an American Curriculum based high school with a 4.0 GPA (99.4) in 2018. From the little research I have done so far, I understand that most universities require 5 A levels (translates to a pretty high SAT and 3 APs, but im not too sure of this) and usually a BMAT/UKCAT (some universities don't require aforementioned tests from international students). Personally, I would prefer to study direct entry medicine and without the BMAT/UKCAT.
I understand I have very little time thus I'm enlisting the help of the friendly users on this site. If anyone can give me any pointers in regards to my current situation and just any general advice for international students and medicine in the uk, I would very appreciative.

what? 5 A Levels hahaha? The entry requirements for Medicine is based on 3 A Levels (actually for all subjects it’s based on 3 A Levels) so I’m not sure where you got 5 from! But hopefully that makes it a little less stressful for you!

I apologise as I’m not very aware of the Medicine course but I just wanted to state all courses are based on 3 A Levels.
Original post by JennAye
Hello everyone,
My name is Jenn and I have very recently (and abruptly) decided to study medicine in the UK. I graduated from an American Curriculum based high school with a 4.0 GPA (99.4) in 2018. From the little research I have done so far, I understand that most universities require 5 A levels (translates to a pretty high SAT and 3 APs, but im not too sure of this) and usually a BMAT/UKCAT (some universities don't require aforementioned tests from international students). Personally, I would prefer to study direct entry medicine and without the BMAT/UKCAT.

1. Universities do NOT require 5 A-levels; practically every university course in the UK, medicine included, asks for 3 A-levels.

2. Every medicine course requires either BMAT or UKCAT - you will need to take at least one of these tests.

3. You have missed the application deadline for this year (it was back in October) so the earliest date you could start studying medicine in the UK would be September 2020, if you get an offer first-time round, which many don't.
Reply 72
Original post by Joseph5364
what? 5 A Levels hahaha? The entry requirements for Medicine is based on 3 A Levels (actually for all subjects it’s based on 3 A Levels) so I’m not sure where you got 5 from! But hopefully that makes it a little less stressful for you!

I apologise as I’m not very aware of the Medicine course but I just wanted to state all courses are based on 3 A Levels.

You're right mate i'm mistaken. Thank you for pointing that out. Honestly, I don't get them so it makes no difference to me heheh
Also, can I just ask - why have you so abruptly decided that you want to study medicine in the UK?

You won't be able to start until September 2020 at the very earliest, so you're really delaying the time at which you can start studying (I'm presuming you could start January 2020 in Australia?)

Also, most UK medicine courses have roughly a 10% or lower acceptance rate, in addition to which the number of medicine places available for international students in the UK is capped at each university, so getting in could be very difficult for you. In which case you've put your career on hold for no reason.
Reply 74
Original post by LeapingLucy
1. Universities do NOT require 5 A-levels; practically every university course in the UK, medicine included, asks for 3 A-levels.

2. Every medicine course requires either BMAT or UKCAT - you will need to take at least one of these tests.

3. You have missed the application deadline for this year (it was back in October) so the earliest date you could start studying medicine in the UK would be September 2020, if you get an offer first-time round, which many don't.

You are right about the deadline, but in regards to the BMAT/UKCAT situation I believe you're mistaken. Mind you I have only spent a couple hours researching but I do know that the University of Brighton doesn't request the BMAT/UKCAT from international students and the University of Lancashire doesn't require them at all.

Thanks anyways
Original post by JennAye
You are right about the deadline, but in regards to the BMAT/UKCAT situation I believe you're mistaken. Mind you I have only spent a couple hours researching but I do know that the University of Brighton doesn't request the BMAT/UKCAT from international students and the University of Lancashire doesn't require them at all.

Thanks anyways

I didn't realise the rules were different for international students - still, I think you'll find courses that don't require BMAT/UKCAT are the exception rather than the rule.

Can I ask why you want to study medicine in the UK?
Reply 76
hi,

i really underperformed during my GCSE’s (98888877AA65 basically 6A*’s, 4A’s , 1B 1C) and i was offered the chance to resit three of my gcses to gain higher grades in summer. i am in year 12 and I want to do medicine at a good uni, I even want to apply to Cambridge. do u think resitting some GCSE’s to get better grades would hinder my application?
I would concentrate on your A levels and work experience in y12 for medicine.
Reply 78
Original post by Shimmaraz

No. Almost all do not require an 8 in English. In fact, you can tell us how many do:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
I have achieved grade 5's in English Language and Literature. However I have achieved 8's in the sciences and maths, a 6 in History and an A in RE.

I want to know is there hope for me??
To get in the universities, preferably for Medicine in London??
Please help, I'm so scared for my future.

Latest

Trending

Trending